What is the best way to reindex new tracks?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JoePublic

What is the best way to reindex new tracks?

Post by JoePublic »

I could use some advice on this. I had a particular CD in my library that I ripped a couple of years ago. Today, I re-ripped the CD again, using a higher bit rate than I did previously. I rip using EAC and these are mp3 files. New new files have the identical name and path as the old files, i.e., the old mp3 files were overwritten. I did NOT delete the tracks from the MM database. After that, I did Add/Rescan on my music folders. I expected MM to show new bit rates for the rewritten tracks after the scan, but they didn't change. It did retain the play history and it kept the tracks in the playlists they were in from before, which is what I wanted.

Question: Should I have handled this a different way? What is the recommended way to update the underlying file while preserving play history, playlist membership, and mp3 tag info (composer, genre, date, etc.) that didn't change when the track was ripped again? Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: What is the best way to reindex new tracks?

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you should have ripped to a new location, scanned the files in and then use http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... +duplicate to copy metadata including play data over and then remove originals.
JoePublic

Re: What is the best way to reindex new tracks?

Post by JoePublic »

Thank you very much for this, lowlander. I definitely will give your method and this script a try. I have a backup of the old files, so I can take a mulligan. :D