Files won't add

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rjw15

Files won't add

Post by rjw15 »

I'm a new at using mediamonkey, but I was wondering why it won't allow me to add music to my library, the bar at the bottom tells me it's scanning all the right songs, but when it's done there's nothing in the library, is there something i'm doing wrong?
Lowlander

Re: Files won't add

Post by Lowlander »

Did you verify in the Library > Location node that the files aren't in your Library?

Also make sure select the correct folder, and file types to be scanned. Further hidden files or folder, and Virtual CD & Previews folder get ignored when scanning.
ikofig

Post by ikofig »

I'm also new to MM and thought I had set up my Library, but have discovered that the File Scan has NOT added all song files into the Library and I can't seem to get it to do so.
For example, I have the following diectory - H:\MUSIC other\CLASSICAL\Emerson String Quartet. In this directory I have 7 folders of Beethoven String Quartets (there are 7 CDs in the set). In its scan, MM only picked up one track out of 71 and I cannot get it to add the rest. I right-clicked the Emerson String Quartet location, selected Scan Continuously and Scan at Startup several times, shut down and restarted the program and the computer, but MM will not pick up any more files and I get no error messages. Other folders in this directory (Classical) have the same problem. All song files are visible in Windows Explorer and play in Media Player. I can locate the files in question and play them using MM, but they are not added to the Library.
I am running 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium.
Thanks for your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ikofig wrote: but have discovered that the File Scan has NOT added all song files into the Library
Lowlander wrote:Did you verify in the Library > Location node that the files aren't in your Library?
ikofig

Post by ikofig »

Yes, I have looked for the files in the Location where they should be, but find only the one file that was successfully added.
When I click File>Open URL or File and Browse to the location, all the 7 folders show up and I can open any folder, select all the songs in the folder and MM will play them, but they are not in the MM Library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ikofig wrote:Yes, I have looked for the files in the Location where they should be
In the Entire Library Collection?
ikofig

Post by ikofig »

Yes. I open the Music directory tree in the left pane, then the drive, then the first folder, then the next folder, etc., each time searching in the Search box for the song files and keep getting only the one file previously mentioned.
However, I just tried doing the same under the Classical Music directory and found that all 71 files are displayed. I haven't tried working with those files to change the files names (I currently have Artist-Album-Track#-Title and am changing everything to Track#-Title), but I'm curious why they only appear where they do and not in the other views and whether I can safely work with them in the view that they actually appear.
Another issue is that I was planning to use MM to sync with my iPod, but will theses files sync?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So you weren't looking in the Entire Library Collection as suggested. Use the Entire Library Collection as all files are shown there. You can modify Type in the Files Properties to have them all show under Music if this is needed or modify the Music Collection criteria under Tools > Options > Media Tree to include Classical Music Type files.

MediaMonkey should be able to sync the files to the iPod regardless of Type or Collection as long as you select them to be synced.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _Rules/4.0
ikofig

Post by ikofig »

Sorry, but I don't get it.
If, in the left pane, I open the drive that contains my music files and select All, why wouldn't all 71 tracks show up there instead of only one? Further, it seems that I should be able to further select down to the actual CD (folder) where the tracks reside (let's say CD1 of the 7 CD set, which is where the one out of 71 tracks is located), but see only one rather than all 12 tracks. It's good that there was Classical Music category in the left pane, otherwise I would never have gotten access to these tracks via MM. However, if I look under Classical in Genre, there is only the one track although in the Classical Music view, all tracks have Classical in the Genre column.
Further, how do I know that is not happening to other tracks in my collection? There are no categories for Jazz or Hard Rock and there could be files in those categories that also got passed over, correct?
Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Why won't you just check the Entire Library node? That's where all your files should be.

All the other Collections depend on Type as to which files are shown. Type is set on first scan and how is explained here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _Rules/4.0 Furthermore you can manually change the Type of files in the Properties of the files.
ikofig

Post by ikofig »

Ok, I'm still not understanding something.
First, regarding your last response: just to be certain we're on the same page - what do you mean by "Entire Library node"? I do not see that category title anywhere.
Second, by following the information gleaned from Type, all the files by Emerson String Quartet which were not visible as I described before, are now right where they should be in the directory tree (Classical Music>H:>Music>Classical etc.) All except the one track that is sitting in Music>H:>Music>Classical etc. that I described before. All of them have the Genre set to "Classical", but the one track will not appear with the other ones!
Any ideas or suggestions on why this is and how to fix it?
Also, if I remove Classical Music from the Types in the left pane of MM, will the files then be picked up under Music?
Thanks.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

ikofig wrote:Ok, I'm still not understanding something.
First, regarding your last response: just to be certain we're on the same page - what do you mean by "Entire Library node"? I do not see that category title anywhere.
Second, by following the information gleaned from Type, all the files by Emerson String Quartet which were not visible as I described before, are now right where they should be in the directory tree (Classical Music>H:>Music>Classical etc.) All except the one track that is sitting in Music>H:>Music>Classical etc. that I described before. All of them have the Genre set to "Classical", but the one track will not appear with the other ones!
Any ideas or suggestions on why this is and how to fix it?
Also, if I remove Classical Music from the Types in the left pane of MM, will the files then be picked up under Music?
Thanks.
File > Manage collections, Make "Entire Library" visible

Removing the classical node will not make the tracks appear under the music node. You must access the files, go into the file properties, and change the "Type" from Classical to Music.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
pbriggsiam

Post by pbriggsiam »

THANK YOU! I was also having a temporary problem with thinking things through regarding Media Monkey and the library. I keep a pretty well organized tree in Windows Explorer of my music by Artist and then album. When I added a couple of new albums of music to my music directory and rescanned, the files, while clearly there on the hard drive, did not show when I looked at the "Location" view in Media Monkey.

It was only after looking through this thread that I realized that I was looking at the "Music" collection location view - where my new albums weren't showing. I needed to look at the "Entire Library" location view to see them.

I'll have to do some research on the use of "collections" in Media Monkey now. I'm curious what filters the different collections can have such that they show only certain music in my library.

Again thank you for posting your problem and thanks to the Media Monkey expert for the answer. You BOTH helped me!

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays . .. whichever works for you :)
Rauth

Post by Rauth »

[code]I have tried all the suggestions in this post and none work. I have a large number of artist and album folders that are not picked up even though they are in the same root folder as ones that are found. Does anyone have a working solution to this problem? I have used this program for a long time and all files used to be there, now they are not. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, cleared the database and still most files are missing. I manually removed Media Monkey references from the registry and reinstalled, no success, files still missing. Each time I try to fix this problem there are less files found. The files are on a local hard drive, not a networked drive. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Thanks![/code]