Import iTunes setting [#8411]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

aprzybylo

Import iTunes setting [#8411]

Post by aprzybylo »

I try to import some songs to MM that are in my iTunes library. After the import is done I get the option to import info from Media player and/or iTunes. I pick iTunes. However nothing gets imported. All info that is managed by iTunes differently (ratings/play counter) is not transfered. Do I miss something or it's a bug?

One note my iTunes is not in standard folder, I moved that to another one (using iTunes internal process, so no hacking here)
Last edited by aprzybylo on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rusty

Re: Import iTunes setting

Post by rusty »

aprzybylo

Re: Import iTunes setting [#8411]

Post by aprzybylo »

It says fixed in 1437 but still doesn't work in 1439. When I check import from WMP and iTunes it spends about 10 minutes importing from WMP database (even if I never used that and put any song in that database) and then ends. Nothing from iTunes
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Works fine for me.
iTunes 10.2.1.1, MediaMonkey 4.0.0.1439

What iTunes version do you have? Are you able to locate [My Music Folder]\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml file?
It is the file that MediaMonkey uses for importing.

Note also that only Rating, Play Count and Play Date are about to be imported and only if the attributes are unknown in MediaMonkey.
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

Ok I think I see the problem. First the location of iTunes you specify is default one but it can be changed. iTunes let you modify that if I remember correctly by holding shift key when you lunch application. You can move your folder with db file wherever you want. That's what I did as I use iTunes on more then one computer so I have it on external hd

Also if you say that the attributes have to be unknown it's a little strange as if you want to use this process more frequently it cannot be used example play count. I use iTunes for all synchronisation with iPhone so my stats get updated there. However I use mm after for all management capabilities and then those updated stats are vital for me. Would it be possible to add an option to let import overwrite those values?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to try the d_itunes plugin instead: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... t=d_itunes
dharmaturtle

Post by dharmaturtle »

This issue was apparently resolved, but I've re-encountered it in the 4.03 beta version.

You can see iTunes, MM's version (the current latest beta), and the lack of recognition of iTunes in MM here:

The screenshot says Portable, but I've since installed it locally and encounter the same error.

My XML file is in a custom location. I have an SSD, so I've moved my Users folder to a HDD - the current location is "D:\SSD's Files\Users\[USERNAMEHERE]\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml"

Ideas? Could I copy the XML file over to the expected directory on the C drive? (What is the expected directory?)

Thanks.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, MediaMonkey finds the library location from the following XML file
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunesPrefs.xml

The "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\" is common app data shell folder stored in windows registry.

If you just moved the iTunesPrefs.xml outside of this folder then it is reasonable that Mediamonkey cannot detect your iTunes library.
dharmaturtle

Post by dharmaturtle »

Thanks for the response Ludek.

When I enter "%AppData%\Apple Computer\iTunes" into explorer's address bar, it navigates to the correct folder with "iTunesPrefs.xml" inside. I don't think that's the issue. Opening up the iTunesPrefs.xml file, I find the key "iTunes Library XML Location:1" holding a Base64 encoded string, which decodes to "D:\SSD's Files\Users\[USERNAMEHERE]\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml", the correct location.

Both XML files are in their "correct" directories. Is there another way that MediaMonkey detects the existence of iTunes?

In my registry,
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData" = "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming", which is correct. However,
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" = "%SystemDrive%\Users", which points to C:\Users. Is this possibly the cause of error? My specific profile key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-69022920-1878182146-184271159-1003" = "D:\SSD's Files\Users\[USERNAME]", which is correct.

I'm using iTunes x64 v10.5.3.3, if that matters.

Thanks very much!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thank you, you are right.

I installed the newest iTunes and it is broken, problem is in decoding the Base64 value that is broken because of additional space chars added.

Will be fixed in the next build.
dharmaturtle

Post by dharmaturtle »

You guys are awesome! Thanks :D