7 Must Haves

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

rovingcowboy

Re: 7 Must Haves

Post by rovingcowboy »

tosarge wrote:writing more words than me doesn't make you right :D
but the logic of it does.
8) i think we better stop though before lightbee gets mad we took over their thread. :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Goodog

Post by Goodog »

Indeed, in my opinion a song has words, if it doesn't it's a instrmental.....an example is from Aimee Mann. On her album Batchelor No 2 there is a song called Nothing Is Good Enough which also appears on the soundtrack of the film Magnolia as an instrumental and is titled on the OST as Nothing Is Good Enough (Instrumental).... Anyway, to get the thread back on track, here are my choices.

1. StairwayTo Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. Hey Jude - The Beatles
3. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
5. Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) - Cockney Rebel
6. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
7. Like A Hurricane - Neil Young.

Best Regards

Goodog
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Song: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/song
Seems to indicate that words are required.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

it seems to be required okay but the notes from the instrument are the words from the instruments voice.. :)
so its settled instramentals can be listed. please lets get back on topic now.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

It will be extremely difficult to cull it down to seven, but I'll try:

- "I Need To Be In Love" by the Carpenters
- "Trying To Get The Feeling Again" by the Carpenters
- "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan
- "The Winner Takes It All" by ABBA
- ' You're Pitiful" by "Weird Al" Yankovic
- "Life Is A River" by Rei Fu
- "Take Five" by The Dave Brubeck Quartet
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

Solitaire's #3 choice is actually the answer to my last story song question, which nobody got.

And Lowlander along with Webster, seemed to puta case closed on the Song Issue.
Verdict is in.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

tosarge wrote:Solitaire's #3 choice is actually the answer to my last story song question, which nobody got.

And Lowlander along with Webster, seemed to puta case closed on the Song Issue.
Verdict is in.
oh thanks for the answer to your story songs post, :D nope verdict is still out. instruments are said to have a voice.
so using voice to make words is same as using voice to make notes. both can be included :D

i'd change my songs if we was able to have more then 7 in the situation, i don't like being boxed in by only 7 choices. :)
Lightbee

Post by Lightbee »

Geez guys, chill. Yes, according to the dictionary there are lyrics. According to the vernacular we have been calling instrumentals songs for simply ages. And classical lyrics have not been sung in what seems forever. I didn't mean to start a debate.

Final Word - and since I started the string I reserve the right of final word - great huh! :D For the purposes of this thread it doesn't matter. If Rock and Roll Pt 2 by Garry Glitter is called a song and the only lyrics there are is the word "hey", then humming , chanting, or "laa laa dee laa daa" counts too. :D

And to think it all started with Christmas Dance Party which is an instumental medley of Christmas songs that actually have words and can be sung along with like We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Good King Wenceslas, Jingle Bells, etc. :o

I just thought of another one I might change to. Man, 7 only is really hard. I should have said 107 that might have been easier.

Hawaiian War Chant is great. Lots of people have done it. I have it by the Norman Luboff Choir. Yes, there are words, not just sounds. Don't try to translate them. They are great in Hawaiian.

Tahuwai la a tahuwai wai la
Ehu hene la a pili koo lua la
Pututui lu a ite toe la
Hanu lipo ita paalai

Au we ta huala
Au we ta huala
Peke

Post by Peke »

First sorry for going back off topic.
Lowlander wrote:Song: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/song
Seems to indicate that words are required.
rovingcowboy wrote:it seems to be required okay but the notes from the instrument are the words from the instruments voice.. :)
so its settled instramentals can be listed. please lets get back on topic now.
Ok Just to close this talk the thing you are talking about is called Music Matrix and that is regular Instrumental with added all background Voices, so only thing you are missing is lead voice. Reason for that is that some performers use them when they perform in smaller Clubs but do not want to sing on playback and want to sound most accurately as album version of song. Additionally Music Matrix is also used in studios to record Lead voice after whole arrangement is done on track, ... Sorry again.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman »

Yeah, a song has lyrics and his supposed to be sung. The instrumentation of it is the accompaniment or musical background.
rovingcowboy wrote:instruments are said to have a voice. so using voice to make words is same as using voice to make notes. both can be included :D
Instrument having a "voice" is an analogy. They don't actually have a voice, only humans do (and the hypothetical alien) You can't use this to prove you're point.

I would still pick 7 jazz instrumentals instead because I can't think of 7 songs I would pick. :roll: (to explain my first post)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

Music with no words = Instrumental
Music with words = Song
No Music Just vocals = Accapella
No words No Music = Silence
Musicmatters2me

Post by Musicmatters2me »

Good afternoon!

Seven must-have songs with vocals? Let me see.

1. Hotel California by the Eagles.
2. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
3. California Girls by the Beach Boys.
4. Layla by Derek and the Dominos
5. Telegraph Road by Dire Straits.
6. 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago.
7. Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding by Elton John.

Jim
davidchatman

Post by davidchatman »

boulevard of broken dreams......(green day)
reason.......(hoobastank)
white flag.........dido
when you say nothing at all.........ronan keating
keep holding on.........avril lavigne
skater boy.......avril lavigne
my heart will go on..........celion dion
sara21

Post by sara21 »

:) these songs are all good, but i more prefer the songs from Sarah Conner