Only some playlists are syncing to my Samsung Galaxy S2

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

abhiroopb

Only some playlists are syncing to my Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by abhiroopb »

Summary
I have tried auto syncing playlists from MM to my Samsung Galaxy S2 but this does not work, the songs all appear on my device but only some of the playlists do. When I try “send to device” the playlists all appear but some of them are broken and incomplete.

Introduction
A week ago I got a Samsung Galaxy S2. As detailed in this thread (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=58815) I had difficulty in syncing my playlists from MM to my phone. However, I managed to partially solve this problem and now the playlists sync. But, the syncing is haphazard and not complete (as I will explain).

Explanation
Let's assume I have playlists 1 through 10 (playlist1, playslist2, playlist3, etc.) on MM. I have set-up MM to auto sync playlist1 to playlist5 to my device. When I connect my device I select “auto sync” from the context menu. I can see all the songs in the playlist syncing and everything appears to be working correctly.

I then disconnect the device and my device starts scanning for media files. Now, when I open the default Music app on my device I only see playlist1 and playlist2. Playlist3 to playlist5 are not visible on my device, but the songs in these playlists have synced. I reconnect my device and I can see that within the “playlist folder” (on my device) only playlist1 and playlist2 are visible as “.pla” files. I have tried “auto syncing” numerous times but nothing happens, only playlist1 and playlist2 remain.

I then tried using the context menu option to “send” all the playlists to my device. This works fairly well, all the playlists appear on my device with all their songs. However, this has two issues. Firstly, I cannot always use this option as it appears to copy each song over every time it is connected. This process is slow and since I change songs in playlist almost daily it would take far too long. Basically, I must use the auto-sync option to ensure that my songs are all synced up nicely and quickly. Secondly, this method of syncing is leaving one of my playlists (let’s say playlist5) with broken songs in the playlist on my device. Basically, it says that the “audio file is not recognized”. This is strange because that same song is playable when I am out of that particular, i.e. I browse to that song through the standard song browser on my device. In any case all my songs are mp3 files and most are at 320kbps.

I would appreciate any help/suggestions.
dg1qkt

Re: Only some playlists are syncing to my Samsung Galaxy S2

Post by dg1qkt »

Exact same issue here. Please help.
By the way absolutely perfect error description.
Last edited by dg1qkt on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

I just downloaded PlayerPro which is a much better music player app than the stock SGS2 music player. This works fine but your phone must be connected in the USB debugging mode to allow file transfer.
dg1qkt

Post by dg1qkt »

Are there any disadvantages of connecting the phone in usb mode?
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

Overall not really, but you can't use the Samsung kies software. Anyway you can go back and forth between using USB debugging and normal mode.
dg1qkt

Post by dg1qkt »

Ok thanks a lot I will give is a try. I found something about special drivers needed for the phone to be recognized in debug mode. Can't test right now, as I am not at home.
Where can I get them?
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

If you are using Windows 7, then the drivers should install automatically. After they install you can view your SGS2's internal memory and SD card directly through Windows Explorer (just go to My Computer and you should see the two drives). Otherwise head to the Samsung website and download the Kies software which has all the drivers packaged.
dg1qkt

Post by dg1qkt »

Ok Kies is installed anyway. So I connect the phone in Debug mode and then sync normally with Monkey just as I did before, and use player pro for playing?
Any additional things to setup?
Sorry for dumb questions I just switched from Iphone to the galaxy and still have much to learn.
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

No worries. As far as I recall that's all you need to do. PlayerPro is a paid app though so you will need to buy it after the trial. There are other apps which (I would assume) work as well, but I just liked this one.

Oh yes, there is one other thing. In the settings of MediaMonkey you can copy where the music files will sync to and in what format (e.g. J:\SD Card\Music\Artist\Album). If you don't set it all the mp3 files will be copied to the memories root directory. In some cases this happens anyway (even if you set it correctly). If you do see the songs being copied to the root directory and not into folders, I would recommend reformatting your SD card and syncing again. Sync with a few songs first from a few different playlists and see what happens.
dg1qkt

Post by dg1qkt »

Did you ever test if resetting your mediastore data resolved your problems with the stock player sync.
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

Don't remember if I specifically tried that, but I deleted and reset so many things that I eventually lost track!
dg1qkt

Post by dg1qkt »

Ok I will write later if it did the job for me, thanks again for your help.
But there seem to be a lot of issues with playlists, I read many threads with people having playlist problems.
But not nearly enough to be a genereal issue, so I am asking myself what is going on here.
I am pretty sure that this is no hardware issue.
Last edited by dg1qkt on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

Right now playerpro makes everything work. So. I have no issues with playlists.
dg1qkt

Post by dg1qkt »

Ok, this is definately some kind of bug, I think the devs should have a look at this.
If this error occurs resetting Mediastore on the phone, replugging it and sync again solves the issue.
Stock Player and no Debug mode.