What a load of rubbish

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: What a load of rubbish

Post by nohitter151 »

Nosrrud wrote:Ha ha ha... LOOSER!!
Looser than what? http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Version 3.2 has resolved the d_iphone.dll issue for most users, but some users still report this causing MediaMonkey not to start. This is most likely due to the fact that the QuickTime installation has become corrupt. Removing or renaming d_iphone.dll to d_iphone.dll.off should do the trick.
slippedCD

Post by slippedCD »

You guys who remove iTunes, (is that what is being suggested?), how to you keep you iphone up to date with software?

Ian.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

slippedCD wrote:You guys who remove iTunes, (is that what is being suggested?), how to you keep you iphone up to date with software?

Ian.
iTunes has to be installed in order to sync with the iPhone.

sirandar

Post by sirandar »

Thank goodness for Google and Android.

Apple's forcing users to use Itunes has steered me away from Apple for life.....

My boss got an Iphone and couldn't even use the phone until Itunes was installed and initialized/syched on his PC. He had old 1/2 installed versions of Itunes on there already. It took me an hour of cleaning crap to get his suppoesedly easy phone to work. I can't believe Apple has sunk so low.

If you are going to force someone to install something, at least it should be able to unistall every little bit of previous versions of your crap software before it installs.

Itunes loads like 20 pieces of crap software when it installs, not to mention takes about 15 minutes on a slow PC to install

If it weren't for Android I would be stuck with that crap. All I need for my HTC phone with Windows7 is nothing ..... It uses standard USB Mass storage drivers so I can manually load whatever I see fit on my phone and I can use much more powerful PC software to sync if I want to.
Last edited by sirandar on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peace through music
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sirandar wrote:Apple's forcing users to use Itunes has steered me away from Apple for life.....
With iOS5 everything can be done over the wireless network. You won't need a PC at all.

Of course I'm sure you'll still need iTunes installed in order to sync with MM, but just saying...

sirandar

Post by sirandar »

nohitter151 wrote:
sirandar wrote:Apple's forcing users to use Itunes has steered me away from Apple for life.....
With iOS5 everything can be done over the wireless network. You won't need a PC at all.

Of course I'm sure you'll still need iTunes installed in order to sync with MM, but just saying...
My boss's iphone on Rogers was bought no more than a month ago and was a BRICK until it was connected to a PC with Itunes. If it were my phone I would have told Rogers and Apple where thay can stick it.
Last edited by sirandar on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace through music
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sirandar wrote:
My bosses iphone on Rogers was bought no more than a month ago and was a BRICK until it was connected to a PC with Itunes. If it were my phone I would have told Rogers and Apple where thay can stick it.
Of course. It has to be activated. Anyway iOS5 isn't released yet.

Post by Guest »

I LOVE LOVE this program... Hated Itunes cuz it was ALWAYS screwing up my music... and yes I know computers... been building them for 25 years...

maybe the Haters need a HUG.... :D
Goodog

Post by Goodog »

I debated for a while about the best place to post this and decided that this particular thread is about the best. There have been a number of posts from people like n49o7 and the starter of this thread expressing their dissapointment, or worse, about MM and how it could have done so much more. My opinion sides with these guys, MM had the oppotunity to bring the application up to date and improve so many things about it but the developers, although they paid a little lip service to this forum, seem to have largely ignored any suggestions made. And as for the skins....well, aside form a very, very few I find them more than a bit amatuerish and, in some case, more than bit cartoonish...my opinion I realise but, for me that's all that matters...
There's also a real trend toward hatred of all things Apple in this forum and all I can say about thatis grow up and stop being such fan boys for MM. If you don't want to use a piece of software then just don't but don't tell me MM is the greatest thing ever because it really isn't. I gave it every chance to impress me and, while it does indeed do some things very well, it's only some thing and the thing it doesn't do well it really sucks at.

All a moot point for me now anyway, I have decided that MM won't be my music handler of choice....
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

ah come on gooddog. i know you have had issues i've tried to help i think? as i know others have.
sure they are slow in getting to the wish list but they do get there, i think they are infact trying to figure out
how to add most of them to monkey, but you got to and i think have already amitted monkey is fast in the library's

as for cartoonish skins? why thanks i know i made some good ones but to rank with the cartoons ! wow. :D
but you see the skins are so simple to make any one can make them with just some slight bit of thinking,
and know how to open the files.
they are made the same way the old winamp classic skins are by laying images on a file in a postion for the program
to use. then telling the program which corners of the image to use for what part of the program.
as i said before just like laying photos on backs of playing cards and reskinning the cards.

the trouble with most people is its too simple to grasp at first. the reason most are not as detailed as some like is the
cheaper images programs people get online for free. not everyone can get the big image editors like photo shop and know how to use all their tools. best big one for normal users was the windows picture it. there were tools that was simple to
get too and use for the none geek. but that program was messed up by ms. doing their bigger and better ideas for windows.
i can't even use it now as it wont work. and i don't have the full photo shop and ain't paying 300 for any program just to produce free skins. so with out the use of all the great old tools from the older more profound image editors i can't do anything in the 3d area of images eyal was doing some of that but hes on xp too he said and well we're limited on good programs anymore as they don't want to update the old stuff with new or better tools to use.

for me to make a 3d like image i'd have to spend about 4 hours on one image doing layers after layers on it in multiple image editors. that would have put my concert skin from 78 hours up to 120 hours if i made all the button images to 3d.
thats way too long for a free skin. anyone willing to pay for a skin like that would be paying me 300 for the time in it, and that is way to much for a skin to use on a free program or a 40 dollar program. and nobody would even think of paying that much for a skin from me or anyone.
so we make as good as we can for free, i do use photos for most my images some are just clip art images but most are photos, which give better details, still they are not 3d.
also the simplest way we make skins is the fun for most of us skinners if it was taking 10,000 images for one skin like the jet audio takes then there would only be the skins made by the developers or a few paid skinners like there are for the jet audio program. simple is better, it gets more ideas made in to skins, more skins are then able to be picked by more users.
more users makes it a bigger chance that they might buy the full program and not only use the free one.
it goes back to that keep it simple stupid idea.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Goodog

Post by Goodog »

Hey Roving Cowboy

You did indeed provide help for me on a number of occasions and others as well and I appreciate that this is a pretty good community and tends to bring MM up from the other media handlers because of that. I also realise that a lot of effort is put into making skins for MM and that this is a purely user based thing and done because you guys like to do it but, and this is where things could get taken wrongly by the skin makers so I need to be careful and I will state that this is purely my opinion, I just don't like the vast majority of the skins produced and I hear what you're saying, I know that I could just do my own if I don't like what's there. And I could if I wanted to, I know graphics and I design websites and I know a bit of programming and databases, it's what I do for a living so I could do it, if I wanted, but I don't. And despite the promises from the developers about MM4 and how the 'native' skin (rather the skinless version...) would look, apart from a transparent border, it looked just the same as MM3. I found that to be a cop out and I, for one was very, very disappointed with that. I know there was a lot of work put into the functionality but even that I found to be disappointing.
Anyway, as I said before it's all a moot point now, it was the last link in chain of events for me, I was waiting to see what MM4 was like before I made up mind to jump ship altogether and leave my PC ways behind and buy a Mac and that's what I've done and I had every intention of running Windows 7 as a dual boot but I'm not even doing that. I'm one of these odd people who think iTunes is good at what it does and more than adequate for my needs and I really like the iTunes LP so I have to use it for that anyway. The Mac is great and just works and I don't think I'll even glance back now....
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

its a shame to lose your know how as i seen you answer some tough questions here.
but if you wanted to go then? no amount of butter could keep you here.
sorry to see you go, don't be a stranger around here some times we get questions dealing with none monkey things that
need good help.
:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

So Goodog,

What does iTunes do better than MM, except for looking prettier?

I do agree with you on the skin things. There have been a number of users who have made fair skins but I've never seen any really fantastic skins either. From what i've heard this is due to the limitations of the currently in use skinning engine. I was also hoping this would change for MM4 but apparently the devs thought it did not have priority. I can understand that although I think they are underestimating this because I believe a number of potential users are put off by this. First impression is important, right? And MM does not make a good first impression. It looks out of date and a little disorganized. If i had not specifically been looking for the powerful tools that MM hides behind it's exterior I would have not started using it.

But that's it. I've been an iTunes user for years and I cannot see anything about iTunes that MediaMonkey does not do at least equally well, if not much better, so I wonder.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Onweerwolf wrote:So Goodog,

What does iTunes do better than MM, except for looking prettier?

I do agree with you on the skin things. There have been a number of users who have made fair skins but I've never seen any really fantastic skins either. From what i've heard this is due to the limitations of the currently in use skinning engine. I was also hoping this would change for MM4 but apparently the devs thought it did not have priority. I can understand that although I think they are underestimating this because I believe a number of potential users are put off by this. First impression is important, right? And MM does not make a good first impression. It looks out of date and a little disorganized. If i had not specifically been looking for the powerful tools that MM hides behind it's exterior I would have not started using it.

But that's it. I've been an iTunes user for years and I cannot see anything about iTunes that MediaMonkey does not do at least equally well, if not much better, so I wonder.

yep its due to the limited skinning engine. but as i said before its a simple to one to make skins with. if done right you can make good 3d ones with use of photos but thats hard to find any free photos or take them and get them in the system.

but the only one float player where people want the main one to be a float player also. is a i'll admit a little old for some people, i like it the way it is but its not new. which is to say its not the re done 20 year old look to be a new look again.
its just the 4 year old look that every one thinks is old.?
still making those main players as a float player is very different skinning and most don't even have any idea how to do that style so users that want a custom skin would not be able to get it and or make it.. as you might have seen too i'm having trouble with the float player in mm 4 it wont show on the default or new mm 4 skins and on my skins i made to work
with mm 4 it has display issues. so it would more likely be the same on the main player if it was a floating one.

i can't say about itunes i just don't like it and never even downloaded it mainly as i don't use apple hardware.

:)