MM locks up (hangs) when resizing window

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mgill

MM locks up (hangs) when resizing window

Post by mgill »

Hi everyone,

Long time MM user and I love it. Recently an issue has cropped up however. I need to know if I should submit a bug report.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. The core problem is that MM hangs whenever I try to resize the window by going to one of the bottom corners and dragging the corner. Behavior happens with both the main window and the auto-tab from web window.

This first occurred with the auto-tag from web window, I thought it had something to do with the web activity but I have now discovered the same behavior when resizing the main window of MM. Here are the steps to recreate:
  • Open MM (triggers auto monitor scan)
    Navigation through the tree works fine, MM plays music and pulls up playlists
    Window by default does not come up maximized, but is taking up about 80% of screen
    Grab (click) lower corner and attempt to drag - window takes two steps of resizing and then locks up
    Music continues, but interface never comes out of hang
    Force shutdown of MM
Restarting MM yields same behavior, and I downloaded and re-installed the latest version today.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Mark
nohitter151

Re: MM locks up (hangs) when resizing window

Post by nohitter151 »

I think some people had said this hapens with IE9 beta installed, are you using IE9?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mgill

Post by mgill »

Excellent observation.

IE9 beta installed a few weeks back, and I think Ive actually used it twice. Im a regular Firefox user, so I didnt think anything of it - but it is installed on my machine.

I've triggered the uninstall for IE9 as I write this, will report back in the morning if an uninstall fixed the issue.

Thanks much.

mark
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

mgill

Post by mgill »

I can confirm that removing IE9 has resolved the problem. Full resizing ability restored to the MM app.

Thanks for the link to the issue - I had no scripts installed so I wonder what the root cause here is. Either way I'm good to go.

If anyone needs any additional info regarding my setup let me know.

Thanks!

mark
oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

IE9 is now out of beta, and the software conflict still exists, MediaMonkey still freezes on resize.

I have cured the problem temporarily by regressing IE9 to IE8, but I wont want to do that long term. Is a patch release due for Media Monkey soon?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

oldbwl wrote:IE9 is now out of beta, and the software conflict still exists, MediaMonkey still freezes on resize.

I have cured the problem temporarily by regressing IE9 to IE8, but I wont want to do that long term. Is a patch release due for Media Monkey soon?
the issue is tracked here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6489

cdhinch

Post by cdhinch »

I'm running IE9 RTM Win7 64 and have this issue. I do not have MonkeyRok installed.

The issue seems to be fixed in MM 4.0.0.1355 (Beta 2).

charles
cdhinch

Post by cdhinch »

I have now tested MM4 build 1355 with MonkeyRok 5.6 installed and did not have any issues.

MM 3.2.4 both with and without MonkeyRok 5.6 installed locks up when resizing the AutoTag from Web window. Overriding skin theme with Windows system theme breaks MonkeyRok but you can resize the AutoTag window.

charles
oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

[/quote]
the issue is tracked here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6489[/quote]

OK, so a known issue - not one which appears to affect everybody - or the same way at least - which I find odd. Is all the effort going to into MM4 now? does this mean that this bug in MM3 is not likely to be resolved at least soon?

I really do wish to ensure that I have access to the latest browser, so is there anything I could do in the meantime whilst waiting for MM4 which will enable me to run a skinned version with IE9 installed? If you need any further information re system, video/graphics card etc please advise. ( have FF4 and Chrome but there are reasons why I need IE9 too).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

the issue is tracked here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6489

OK, so a known issue - not one which appears to affect everybody - or the same way at least - which I find odd. Is all the effort going to into MM4 now? does this mean that this bug in MM3 is not likely to be resolved at least soon?

I really do wish to ensure that I have access to the latest browser, so is there anything I could do in the meantime whilst waiting for MM4 which will enable me to run a skinned version with IE9 installed? If you need any further information re system, video/graphics card etc please advise. ( have FF4 and Chrome but there are reasons why I need IE9 too).
I doubt there will be any MM3 fix for this.

oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

I am disappointed.

I paid for a Gold Licence, I have no need for MM4, the issue is not minor or trivial as listed in the Bug tracker. It is major since it can render MM3 unusable if IE9 is installed. OK, so a Third Party made a software change which has an impact, not MM devs fault. But I doubt I am the only affected person. It does not seem right that the answer to the issue is not to have the latest version of a major browser installed.

I expect that the developers are busy with MM4, but surely that doesn't mean existing software should not be supported until MM4 is released.

All of this notwithstanding if someone already knows that the fix is not a trivial one and not worth the effort. If that is so, I would prefer them to say so and I can then get on with finding a suitable replacement. I have no idea how long MM4 will be, and I know why this info is not released, but I can't take a chance on having to wait months. I like my music and I need IE9 installed, so MM3 if not fixed will have to go.

I haven't had time to check, but will the non-skinned vers work without freezing with IE9 and resizes?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The issue has already been addressed and MediaMonkey 4 is compatible with IE9.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

oldbwl wrote:
I haven't had time to check, but will the non-skinned vers work without freezing with IE9 and resizes?
Based on previous responses the crash does not occur on the non-skinned.

oldbwl

Post by oldbwl »

Lowlander wrote:The issue has already been addressed and MediaMonkey 4 is compatible with IE9.
in MM3? or just MM4?
if MM3, where can I find the patch?

Many thanks