Which web browser?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

What browser are you using

You may select 1 option

View results

trixmoto

Which web browser?

Post by trixmoto »

This came up in another thread, but thought it should happen in Off Topic.

Personally I love the tabs in Firefox, and the extensions make it the best browser there is. Which web browser do you use, and why?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

I also use Firefox as my primary browser for the past 6 months.
I was an IE user before that having tried the Netscape and Opera.
I use Firefox mostly for its extensions, and secondly for its tabs (which are also available to Opera, Netscape and IE with one of the various relevants plug-ins installed)

Ofcourse in order to make Firefox work as i like to i have installed multiple extensions, with the most basic been TabBrowser Preferences, Super Drag&Go, Adblock, Customize Google and ofcourse IEView. I use the last one to open specific pages in IE since firefox still has problems displaying correctly about 5% of the pages i visit (and i am not talking only for pages with ActiveX).

Another usefull extension i use is BBCodeXtra, which is very handy if you post to forums all the time (like me).

So, i think is clear enough that i use firefox mostly because of its great extensions that let me customize the browser the way I LIKE!!!!

As for security... it is quite obvious now (after 7 critical firefox updates in 3 months) that every popular browser will be target of malicious users and thus all of them will have security risks. Just keep your system uptodate and dont click ok in every window that pops up.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I use security extensions such as a javascript blocker (NoScript) which I think make firefox more secure. You are right that all browsers have these problems, so keeping up-to-date with any makes them as secure as can be.

I also love an extension I use called Session Saver which means that when I close my Firefox window it remembers all the tabs that are open, so when I open it again they are all there. This means when I'm at work I can have my email open (it autorefreshes - love Gmail!) and the helpdesk (which unfortunately i have to look at at be helpful) and MM forum, and all my other tabs open almost instantly, no fuss! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i use maxthon for my web surfing. mostly

it has all the features and more that firefox has plus it handles all the html code that ie handles including ms's own special codes for html.

and it has less security issues because it has its own security codes,
it is basicly a ie shell that sits ontop of ie and uses all the things ie does but blocks or patches up lots of the ie issues you can skin it with any skin you want to if download them from its site.

there is a help forum if you do have trouble with it.
the only thing i don't like about it is the way it loads the pages made for
msagents.

maxthon makes the page out of sync with the msagent scripts.

it loads the pages lower down the screen pixels so 0 x 0 pixel is the upper left pixel just under the last menu bar you have showing.

and ie uses 0 x 0 of the viewers screen.

so now all the msagent scripts need to be hard coded pixel locations linked to the page. which is hard for most to do.

other then that maxthon is the same as ie in handling the web only it uses tabs.

i just don't like the fact that maxthon left up the 3 year old page and when you search for it online you find that page.
it confuses people i hope they took it down.
but who knows.

http://www.maxthon.com/

is the new main site.

I am editing this in

I came back to say that i forgot to tell you that maxthon is the latest version of the old (5 versions old?) MyIe2 browser which i think by now has been totaly redone with new code, so it is only being made by the same company that made that old browser now.
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
judas

Post by judas »

I use Opera...i guess youve heard about it. It has had tabas for ages...and most things you say you have downloaded for your firefox are available within the browser itself: noscript, save session, etc.

From time to time I still have to use IE...cause as psy says not all pages render correctly...but its not a big deal.

You should give it a try now that is free...the way I see it its sort of the MM of browsers. Not-so-common yet with a really nice community and the best product all around.

:-)
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

Trix, i took the liberty to add a poll in your topic you started, as it seems would be of help....
if you dont like it i can remove it... :lol:
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No problem, I was tempted but wasn't sure what list of browsers to include. Some people use ones I've never heard of, like Rovingcowboy.
Steegy

I Love Maxthon

Post by Steegy »

I also use the Maxthon browser (with the default IE rendering engine).

I use it because it has *standard* a lot of features such as tabbed browsing, popup blokker, shortcut urls, favourite menu expander, groups, fast search and translate, RSS, blocking of scripts/flash/java/music.... , all very useful.
Since it has become clear that in the latest months Firefox has more security problems than IE (see CNET for this), I think IE and related browsers are the best, also because they still are able to load older html code that Firefox doesn't.

The only thing I use Firefox (program file 6 MB, total 16 MB) for is to see if it can load my pages as it is supposed to be.

Maxthon (program file 900 KB, total 1,5 MB) doesn't interfere with IE so they can work next to each other. It also has a very low memory usage (7 MB for 7 tabs compared to 20 MB for www.google.be in Firefox) and starts and works faster (on my computer at least - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512MB) than Firefox. And it's much more beautiful.

http://www.maxthon.com

Cheers
Steegy
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

All I have to say is:

OPERA OPERA OPERA OPERA OPERA OPERA

Configurability, speed, ease of use, size of file, and of course Tabs (which you don't have to use, you can turn them off). Best of all, it's free now.

(No, I don't work for Opera, I just love to use it!)
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I'm the only one using Internet Explorer? :lol:
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

Yiap, but you vote has been casted... this is what i call democracy
(glad i am a greek) lol :lol:
drichm

W3C

Post by drichm »

I tried Firefox but had page display problems with my sites and other sites. So I raised several bug reports on Firefox and basically got the same response to each (I paraphrase here):

Firefox implements the correct W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) standard definition, whereas Internet Explorer does not. This is not a bug.

I do not have a conceptual problem with this answer, however in practice it means Firefox will display some pages strangely/wrongly in some cases since page designers target and test on IE, often with the non-W3C items.

One example is the CSS style 'text-align: center' which, according to firefox, IE renders completely incorrectly - so they do a different rendering which often means they ignore it (since the W3C definition is incompatable with IE). So some text that gets centered in IE, does not get centered in Firefox.

If you can live with strange page rendering, then try Firefox. Otherwise use an IE variant (maxthon et al). Opera might also be OK (I have no idea).

IE 7 will have tabs, when it will be available I have no idea.

Dave

P.S. I use IE, Firefox is cute for while but it wears off...
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I've just downloaded Opera. I'll give it a try and see what all the fuss is about. :P
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

Good choice Pah!!! I haven't looked back since the change. I have tried almost every browser available, even small unknown ones.

On the opera page check out some of the tutorials. There is a lot you can do.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That's the whole point, Firefox doesn't load things strangely, Internet Explorer does. People who design their pages to work on IE alone are not designing their webpages well. I design my website to be viewed on both, and there are no useful features that I have added for one browser and not the other, and they look identical on both browsers too. I might even try Opera to extend my cross-compatability further.