File Maintenance cannot be stopped.

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

paulmt

File Maintenance cannot be stopped.

Post by paulmt »

Using File Maintenance, full optimization, the process cannot be stopped.
The cancel button is not live and all other functions, volume control, pause, stop, minimise etc are also locked.
Music continues to play and change tracks.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
nynaevelan

Re: File Maintenance cannot be stopped.

Post by nynaevelan »

Reproducable here on a Win7 64bit.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

It has always been like this.
MDominik13

Post by MDominik13 »

I had the same problem. This isn't the same as in 3.0. I watched the database/journal files during the run and it appeared to get stuck in a loop at one point. Initially, the journal file ran up to almost the same size as the database (mine is about 250MB). Then, the journal dropped to 0 and the database shrunk by about 20MB. After that, the journal kept building up to 15-20KB and would zero out over and over again. I let it run for about 30 minutes but it never stopped doing this so I eventually had to kill it in thee task manager.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

So this is an issue with performance then, and not necessarily that this action disables control over the UI and such, right?
MDominik13

Post by MDominik13 »

I think it's both. There appears to be a bug in the optimization function (which works in 3) where it gets stuck in a loop (I think). Part of the bug is that the cancel button doesn't work (I'm guessing because of the loop).
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

There has never been a cancel button to cancel out of the optimization once it's started though, and I think that is by design. The Cancel button present allows you to exit the window where you choose what optimizations are to be performed, while no "cancel" is offered to abort the optimization because I imagine it would be hard on a database to try and stop at some point in the middle of the process.
MDominik13

Post by MDominik13 »

I wasn't aware that the cancel button wasn't intended for you to cancel the process. If that's the case, the buttons (Cancel and OK) should be disabled once the process starts. With regards to being able to cancel the process, I know it's hard to stop a database process once it has started (in some cases not at all); however, if the process is being run in individual steps (i.e. rebuilding indexes one at a time vs. one giant script), it should be possible to cancel the process.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

MDominik13 wrote:If that's the case, the buttons (Cancel and OK) should be disabled once the process starts.
They are/should be? Are they not for you?
MDominik13 wrote:however, if the process is being run in individual steps (i.e. rebuilding indexes one at a time vs. one giant script), it should be possible to cancel the process.
If the process is compartmentalized and can safely be aborted (in a similar manner to when you cancel a tagging option in that it finishes what it's doing for that specific task, then breaks the chain before moving to the next one), then I don't see why not. I'm not database expert though, so... yeah. If it is ran in parts, it might be nice if MM displayed a progress bar, displaying at what stage it's at "Cleaning up _____", etc. so that it at least appears MM is doing something and not just locked up (may also help identify when/if it actually is locked up during a Maintain Library).
MDominik13

Post by MDominik13 »

My buttons are not grayed out but they don't work either. Usually, disabling will gray out the buttons to let you know they won't function.

I like the idea of a status indicator for the optimization. Again, it will only work if it's run in steps. I'm not an expert in SQLite so I don't know if there is one command to optimize a database but I'm sure it could be done individually. I'm going to submit a feature request for the optimization status (unless you'd like to?).
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Just to re-cap...
My MM3 library of over 100k tracks took a couple of minutes for Full File Maintenance to happen. I kept on top of this.
After installing MM4 and importing the MM3 data I noticed the performance was very sluggish so I ran file maintenance. This ran overnight for over 8 hours but never completed.
I could not cancel (as stated) and make an orderly exit from the function. I had to go to Task Manager and end the process entirely. All parts of MM were locked up.
I have since run File Maintenance (quick) several times with no problem and last night ran the full optimisation which completed in around 7 hours.

The MM programme is still very sluggish, so at least I have confirmed this is not due to the database requiring compacting so must be another issue.
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
MDominik13

Post by MDominik13 »

Quick worked for me as well. My database contains 20,000+ tracks and is about 250MB. I haven't noticed any performance issues with 4.0 (so far it seems faster). I'm a DBA so I like to routinely run the full optimization anyway... that's when I noticed the issue.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Opening Support ticket and attaching compresses debug log should help show us what is going on and where slowdown is.

Also Maintain Library in MM3 before Import in MM4 could help.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MDominik13

Post by MDominik13 »

I did optimize mine before the upgrade which may be why mine appears to be running faster. Biggest difference I've noticed is in autoplaylists... they run a lot faster.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Peke wrote:Opening Support ticket and attaching compresses debug log should help show us what is going on and where slowdown is.

Also Maintain Library in MM3 before Import in MM4 could help.

Hi Peke
I will do a debug and send it in today

My MM3 library was "maintained" before import into MM4, as I said in MM3 I can run full maintain in about 2-4 minutes because I do this so regularly.
I will start a new topic with my slowdown issues

*****EDITED***** DebugView log sent today.