Library has doubled everything

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lyndon

Library has doubled everything

Post by Lyndon »

I have somehow doubled all items in my library.
How can I get it back to single listings?

Also,
I seem to have lost quite a few files. It will list the album and the tracks, and when I try to "play now" it just runs down the titles. Nothing.
It may not be related, but I wonder if that has anything to do with Autotag, when it says do I want to overwrite the files, etc.

Sorry for not being more explicit, and thanks to the forum members for helping me to configure my new mp3 Sony player. :wink:

This is from the help files: Good Heavens! I have a very large library. That would take HOURS and HOURS. There has to be a better way.
Deleting Duplicates
MediaMonkey offers 2 ways of getting rid of duplicate tracks: by finding duplicate titles, or by finding tracks with identical audio signatures. Both methods require that you choose which track to delete since automatic deletion could result in the 'wrong' track being deleted.

Duplicate Titles
In the Tree, go to the Library > Files to Edit > Duplicate Titles node. The tracklist will fill with tracks that have identical titles. Manually delete the tracks you no longer require.

Duplicate Content
In the Tree, go to the Library > Files to Edit > Duplicate Content node. You'll be prompted to analyze your library for duplicates. Once analysis is complete, click the '+' to show which tracks have duplicates. Manually delete the tracks you no longer require.

Note: You can have tracks analyzed for duplicate content when they are added to the Library. To do so, enable this option in Tools > Options > Library.
nohitter151

Re: Library has doubled everything

Post by nohitter151 »

Files to edit (in the MM tree) > Dead links
Select tracks and remove from library
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

I think that has worked, nohitter151, but how did I accomplish to get those ghost double titles in the first place?

Thank you for that suggestion.

Lyndon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You added tracks to MediaMonkey, after which you moved the files on your computer (Windows Explorer), after which you scanned in tracks in MediaMonkey. Now MediaMonkey has tracks from the old and new location.

In the future it's best to use MediaMonkey to move files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... enames.htm or use the File Monitor while moving files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... ibrary.htm
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Lowlander,
I'll take your word on it. I am going to copy that and try to put it in a folder in my email files.

I wasn't done being stupid yesterday. I have simply a lot of music, 700 LP's, 500+ cassettes, can't count the cd's.
But sometimes there is the 'not obtainable'. So for the second time in ten years I procured an album on the 'net, realizing it
would not be of high quality.
It was originally a double cd, the main cd and the bonus cd with 4 extra tracks.
I got it, and tried to put it into Media Monkey, etc. I could not get it to be in the two distinct CD-1 and 2. I got it, but the songs were missing from
CD-1. They were there in the original file.
I tried all sorts of crap, and was not successful.
Finally, I realized that the four songs were not labeled as the others, missing the last line "CD-1"
Good grief. Before I had realized it, I had already deleted the files from my computer.
Maybe MM should give out the Darwin Prize for stupidity for users like me. :-?

Oh, any links in the forum for a thread for the easiest way for me to create a "copy hard drive", so if my original hard drive dies, I have a back up of all my music? :o :o
Thanks, Lowlander and nohitter151
Lyndon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For that you might want to use a backup utility like the free SyncToy: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

You could use MediaMonkey's VirtualCD, but that might be overcomplicated things.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Thanks for the tip, Lowlander.
Sidenote: It did it again. Downloaded the CD-1 of the album, had kept the bonus disc of the CD-2 4 tracks.
And even though I kept them in separate folders, MM put the whole smear together.
Not going to bother anymore with that album. Just got to roll with it.
Time to load up the mp3 player and go for a bike ride! :lol:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you have the same Album name (and Album Artist) the tracks will show as 1 album in MediaMonkey. You can use the Disc# field to differentiate between the different discs. Unfortunately Auto-Tag from Web uses Amazon that doesn't supply it with multiple disc information while the website does.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Well, Nohitter, and Lowlander
I am back at this again.
I ran the duplicate content, and that was going through 1 TB of FLAC songs. I ran it all night and the next day, and when I came home from work, it was blank?

Then I ran duplicate titles, and they are all over the place, interspersed with the real titles in bold print. Is there anyway to separate the duplicates and delete, without going through them manually?

I also ran dead titles, but that didn't bring up much.
Just a real, real pain.
Thanks in advance,
Lyndon
dypsis

File »» Add/Rescan Tracks To The Library

Post by dypsis »

When I had this problem recently, I went:
File »» Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library.

It found all the duplicates and asked me if I wanted to remove them.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

I'm worried about doing that, as that is how I got the duplicates to begin with.
After spending two hours last night removing most of the "ghost" (not in boldface type), I don't think I want to try that avenue.

Nohitter?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Lyndon wrote:I'm worried about doing that, as that is how I got the duplicates to begin with.
After spending two hours last night removing most of the "ghost" (not in boldface type), I don't think I want to try that avenue.

Nohitter?
You would only get this problem if you renamed or moved your music files (eg. with Windows explorer or another program), then rescanned. So as long as the music files have not moved, you should be fine to rescan.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Lyndon wrote:I'm worried about doing that, as that is how I got the duplicates to begin with.
Make sure your not using an old version of MediaMonkey.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Lowlander,
My version is MM Gold 3.2.21300?

I have not updated the last time because it all looked like updates for iPod crap. Should I go ahead and update?

Lyndon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think updating is necessary for this issue.