CD Ripping has become horribly painful

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

sirandar

CD Ripping has become horribly painful

Post by sirandar »

CD ripping used to be a boring and brainless operation.

Now it is just plain painful.

I have been ripping for years and years. How has it become so painful?

The first pain is to remember that I have to log out of my user account and onto my adminstrator account and then start MM3 as a admin program. Other wise I get the dreaded CD information refresh bug which means I have to play time trials to rip before tile and artist info are lost. Sometimes I rip the whole CD only to find every track is "unknown"

Then I have to fiddle around to get the CDDB information to load properly

The second pain is to make sure I don't accidentally catalog the CD tracks instead of the ripped tracks. Happened twice already to me.

Then I have to search for some decent album art or shoot the cover myself.
Then I have to search through all the crap to find lyrics and then copy paste them into the MP3 as the Lyricator script is now bust.

A year ago ripping CDs was a breeze ..... now it is a pain as the process is error prone and bugged and Lyricator no longer works. It is sad when things go in reverse. Perhaps the days of wine and roses are over.

If I ripped CDs every day I would have a method and stick to it, but I rip a couple a month and every time I have to relearn.

The intuitive method it to pop the cd in, have the artist and track names fill automatically, and then press the rip button. I was doing this 5 years ago with Musicmatch Jukebox. I guess FreeDB wants its due, but as a end user the Freedb brand means nothing to me and will never mean anything to me. Forcing me to press the Freedb button every time only annoys me and makes me remember that Freedb is annoying.
Peace through music
Peke

Re: CD Ripping has become horribly painful

Post by Peke »

MediaMonkey 4 should bring improvements in the area.

BTW aren't you able to set MM shortcut to run as Admin and/or set security permitions for everyone to Full control and/or Install MM into Non-Security related folder like d:\MediaMonkey?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
sirandar

Post by sirandar »

Peke wrote:MediaMonkey 4 should bring improvements in the area.

BTW aren't you able to set MM shortcut to run as Admin and/or set security permitions for everyone to Full control and/or Install MM into Non-Security related folder like d:\MediaMonkey?
Good point ... did that admin shortcut thing during my last ripping section. Unfortunately the UNC "run as administrator" from a limited account is totally different than actually logging out and and logging into an admin account. If I could just "run as admin" from my limited user account I wouldn't even consider this a bug. The CD refresh problem happens for me when using a limited user account no matter how much I elevate privedges or run as admin.

Even if elevated "run as admin" worked, it is a funny way to run programs and among other things it is impossible to customize Microsoft mouse keys when run this way. I have MM3 specific mouse and keyboard keys that autoset when MM3 is focused.

Also, forgive my bitching ....... it is annoying but MM3 is the tops and very bug free in my hands.

It just seems that some things are going in reverse from easy to hard, instead of hard to easy and that is worrysome.
Peace through music
Peke

Post by Peke »

Well, you are right. It is annoying.

As soon as MM 4 alpha gets out (really soon if all goes well) several files that were written by MM CD RIP engine will be written into more relaxed folder with less security.
Best regards,
Peke
omiklos2

Post by omiklos2 »

I don't understand how such an annoying bug, identified since nearly a year, has still not be adressed properly !
How can MM be considered and publicized as "windows7 compatible" when such an essential aspect as ripping doesnt' work properly ?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

compat..... does not mean everything works completely perfectly.

it means that the current stable version of the program is being adjusted to work with patches on the newest op systems.

and the next version that is being created is to be able to work with the newer op systems as a stable version.

in this case mm3 is compt with win7 and mm 4 will be stable with win7 :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Peke

Post by Peke »

RC is right.

MM 2.x is stable on Win 98
MM 2.5 is stable on Windows XP
MM 3.x is Compatible with Vista and 7
MM 4.x should be stable with Windows 7
Best regards,
Peke
sirandar

Post by sirandar »

omiklos2 wrote:I don't understand how such an annoying bug, identified since nearly a year, has still not be adressed properly !
How can MM be considered and publicized as "windows7 compatible" when such an essential aspect as ripping doesnt' work properly ?
Despite how annoying it is, this really doesn't mean MM3 isn't Windows 7 compatible and stable IMO. You just can't use a limited user account if you want the CD track info when ripping. For me MM3 works pretty well perfectly with win7 except for this bug, and the ocaasional odd glitch. Only the really security conscious use a limited user account unless they are forced to. I kind of regret all the pain I had to go through to get everything working properly under a limited account.

I am very sad to see the Lyricator script busted. I am pretty sure scrtipers are trying to fix the script but unless somebody gets paid I think Lyricators days are done.

It was such a great script though. Hunting through all those spyware adware infested sites looking for lyrics is demoralizing after the way Lyricator used to effortlessly tag lyrics. Sure sometimes is screwed up and a lot wasn't in there, but it did a great job.
Peace through music