Why does 'album' field often have 'genre' values in it?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

tbessie

Why does 'album' field often have 'genre' values in it?

Post by tbessie »

I noticed that a lot of my downloaded MP3s have values for 'genre' in the 'album' field.

Anyone know why this is? Is this some sort of standard, or an older way of keeping genre info in the file?

- Tim
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Are these files all from one site?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
tbessie

Ha! I think it may've been my fault

Post by tbessie »

I used the feature of inferring tags from filenames and folders when I first started using MediaMonkey awhile ago, and I think it put them there. So it looks like my fault!

There may have been some others done like that, since some genres in "album" weren't my own classifications, but oops! :-)

- Tim
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I turned inferring tags from filenames off a long time ago. It seems to get some weird results. You're better off just trying to get the info from that tags in the song.

If tags are messed up or miss info you can always use auto-tag from filename which you can configure yourself.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, autotag from filename works much better than inferring the properties from the filename because you can specify the naming convention to get accurate results.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.