Between the two?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cadmanmeg

Between the two?

Post by cadmanmeg »

So I love MM and don't want to use anything but it and I push it to all I meet. Anyhow, am in the long process of setting up a home media server, backup solution, etc... Not sure of the hardware yet, but will probably be running Win Server 2008 R2. I don't have all the details straight yet and am still learning some bits and pieces of it, but with my home entertainment system, it is quite big with several game console, various players for things, etc... A couple of the consoles are also media centers or I should say, act as media center "extenders". Down to the point though, it seems that people use WMP for this type of stuff. Is there any way for me to incorporate MM3 into the mix? Maybe at the least, one way sync to WMP from MM3 so that these extenders and all can see it and what not? Any advice, links, steps you have taken, etc... would be great. AM sure that there are a few of us going beyond playing MM# on our home computers and syncing to some earbuds. Thanks for any and all help you can give!
cadmanmeg

Re: Between the two?

Post by cadmanmeg »

Anyone have input on this?
cadmanmeg

Post by cadmanmeg »

Will try once more to see if anyone can assist in explaining how one can sync between windows media player (WMP) and MM (Media Monkey) given the circumstances I have explained. Things being as they are, I am not sure of another way around this but would love to hear if some of you have experimented with this and could share your discoveries/knowledge.

Again, hope to hear from some of you as this issue is bothering me no being able to use MM this way.

Thanks much.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cadmanmeg wrote:Will try once more to see if anyone can assist in explaining how one can sync between windows media player (WMP) and MM (Media Monkey) given the circumstances I have explained. Things being as they are, I am not sure of another way around this but would love to hear if some of you have experimented with this and could share your discoveries/knowledge.

Again, hope to hear from some of you as this issue is bothering me no being able to use MM this way.

Thanks much.
Basically, you can't. MediaMonkey 4 will have the ability to stream/download tracks to and from other PCs on a network but this functionality doesn't exist yet in version 3.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
2fletch

Post by 2fletch »

I don’t know if this will help, but this what I have going on with my digital media that I believe what you are looking for.

I have a dedicated server running SBS 2003 (P4, 2.8GHz, 1 MB RAM). There are 3 laptops, 2 netbooks and 1 desktop computer connected to its domain. The desktop is wired; the others have the option of wired or wireless.

In addition, the users (wife and kids) use one of these as their portable players (iTouch, iPod, Palm TX, Sandisk Sansa). The media players used is WMP, MM and iTunes.

All of my media is stored on 5TB of drive storage. Some partially RAID.

The nice thing about running SBS 2003 is that I can control the sharing rights of the data. Users can access the files but they can not modify it.

In setting up your Windows server box, you want to use 2 NIC, even though 1 can be used in the configuration. Make sure all of your NIC, switches, hubs are at least gigabyte interfaces. This makes view video much more robust.

Check your thoughts on purchasing a media extender, unless you have a xbox 360. a PC connected computer is going to serve you better.

For music I use MM and for video I use VLAN.

Hope this helps in a way.
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

If you want to sync MM and iTunes then takea look at my device driver.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 19&t=45713
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b7ee ... 6b9a6e1ed0
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507