Error message while ripping CD

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kaichandler

Error message while ripping CD

Post by kaichandler »

I have a new Vista installation and am using beta 3.1.2.1274

I ripped the cd ok. Now when I try to rip a cd I get an error "Cannot delete c:\Documents and Settings \ Master.upstairs
\ Local Settings \ Temp \ 3cw49.wav" Access is denied. The file may be in use or you may not have access rights.

Also I've restored files from my backup and although I can view PDFs I can't run exectables without changing their permission on an individual level.

Can anyone advise?

thanks
Kai
nohitter151

Re: Error message while ripping CD

Post by nohitter151 »

Cannot delete c:\Documents and Settings \ Master.upstairs
\ Local Settings \ Temp \ 3cw49.wav
This path is not correct for windows Vista. You need to update your Temporary directory in the MM options (Tools > Options > general) to a path that you can access from your limited vista user account, like:

C:\Users\Master.upstairs\AppData\Local\Temp\
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kaichandler

Post by kaichandler »

This path is not correct for windows Vista.
Strange - it's Media Monkey "out of the box" - surprised they'd not spotted that.
You need to update your Temporary directory in the MM options (Tools > Options > general) to a path that you can access from your limited vista user account, like:

C:\Users\Master.upstairs\AppData\Local\Temp\
Worked a treat, thanks nohitter151! But here's a question - you say
limited vista user account
but this is my one and only account on a new Vista installation and even though UAC is turned off lots of files seem to have protection preventing me getting full (execute) access :evil: - any idea what's going on?

best, Kai
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kaichandler wrote:Strange - it's Media Monkey "out of the box" - surprised they'd not spotted that.
Hm, strange indeed.
kaichandler wrote:Worked a treat, thanks nohitter151! But here's a question - you say
nohitter151 wrote: limited vista user account
but this is my one and only account on a new Vista installation and even though UAC is turned off lots of files seem to have protection preventing me getting full (execute) access :evil: - any idea what's going on?

best, Kai
That is Vista for you. Even administrators don't have access to everything, one of the more annoying features in Vista. See:
http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-to- ... -in-vista/

kaichandler

Post by kaichandler »

An excellent resource Nohitter, although it has not affected any of my file protection issues. Unless you've any other suggestions I'll dig around further OR wait until WIndows 7 next week!!! However, I'm back on track now with MediaMonkey, so MANY THANKS!!!

best, Kai
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kaichandler wrote:
An excellent resource Nohitter, although it has not affected any of my file protection issues. Unless you've any other suggestions I'll dig around further OR wait until WIndows 7 next week!!! However, I'm back on track now with MediaMonkey, so MANY THANKS!!!

best, Kai
You'll definitely want to upgrade to 7.

kaichandler

Re: Error message while ripping CD - FIXED

Post by kaichandler »

All sorted thanks to awesome and persistently brilliant help from Steve and most especially Pavle from technical support.

Pavle worked out that Tools | Options | General | User-friendly masks had become unchecked. We checked it and the problem disappeared.

Mediamonkey tech support is great and so is that from folks on the forum here. Would I get that support from iTunes folks at Apple? No, I don't think so. So, step forward Pavle and Nohitter151!!!!

best

Kai :D :D :D

ps, Win 7 was well worth the upgrade cost but wasn't relevant to resolving this problem
kaichandler

Post by kaichandler »

I had a similar problem again today while ripping, using Windows 7 and build 3.2.

Tools | Options | General | User-friendly masks was checked.

To fix it I had to reset the destination in Rip CD window to end with <Filename> eg.

C:\Users\Master\Music\myartistname\myalbumname\<Filename>

Hope this helps someone (it'll probably help me next time I have this problem lol!)
best
Kai