Where are the ratings stored????

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

fenrir

Where are the ratings stored????

Post by fenrir »

Hey Guys,

Why is it that I cannot see the ratings I've set in MediaMonkey anywhere else (iTunes, MediaPlayer, iPhone).

Initially I thought that the ratings are saved internally in MediaMonkey and not tagged to the songs. But I cleared the library, erased all MM files/registry entries and reinstalled but the tags prevailed. Ergo, the ratings are saved within the songs itself. But how can I get them in MediaPlayer/iPhone.

I know the question is posted before, but I just cant seem to find them. My search is providing over whelming results to go through.

Any help is much appreciated.
nohitter151

Re: Where are the ratings stored????

Post by nohitter151 »

Mainly because the other programs you mention don't conform to standards, but rather set their own. MediaMonkey uses the standard id3v2 tags for mp3s.

iTunes - Uses its own proprietary rating system in its own database and won't read the rating tag from mp3 files. (also won't save ratings to tags)

WMP - I just tried adding a track to WMP, and the ratings were imported, though the rating stars were silver instead of yellow - it seems they only show as yellow if you actually rate them in WMP yourself. Also, while WMP will save its ratings to mp3 tags, those ratings are not saved in a standard format and so can't be read by MM.

iPhone - I guess this depends on how you put the tracks on the iPhone. If you use MediaMonkey to put the tracks on, the ratings appear just fine (I have an iphone myself and I can confirm it works when synced with MM). However, if you're using iTunes to sync, the tracks have no rating (since iTunes doesn't read the standard mp3 rating tag; see above) and so they'll be synced without rating to the iPhone.

Its unfortunate that the big music players won't adhere to any standards in terms of managing music, but then thats why most of us have turned to MediaMonkey at this point (at that's why I did).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
fenrir

Post by fenrir »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply =)

Yup, true the songs are rated in WMP. I was in the NowPlaying mode, by dragging the file in and for some strange reason it dint show then! But its fine now.

About iPhone, I thought even with the latest MM you cannot sync songs, I tried it once, and it messed up the phone and I had to do a complete restore. It sync'd the songs without any error but the phone did not show any songs and iTunes would not detect the phone anymore until restored. AFAIK this is a known issue and in progress of being fixed.

Can you share how you sync your iPhone? Is it 3g (if that matters)?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

fenrir wrote:Hey,

Thanks for the reply =)

Yup, true the songs are rated in WMP. I was in the NowPlaying mode, by dragging the file in and for some strange reason it dint show then! But its fine now.

About iPhone, I thought even with the latest MM you cannot sync songs, I tried it once, and it messed up the phone and I had to do a complete restore. It sync'd the songs without any error but the phone did not show any songs and iTunes would not detect the phone anymore until restored. AFAIK this is a known issue and in progress of being fixed.

Can you share how you sync your iPhone? Is it 3g (if that matters)?
Currently MM can only sync with iphones that have the 1.4.4 firmware or below (and 3g iphones aren't supported). I still haven't upgraded my phone because I don't want to lose MM compatibility. The devs are working on fixing the issue with the new firmware and 3g phones.

SelArom

Post by SelArom »

I wasn't sure where to put this question, but it seems related to this inquiry, so I hope someone can help me out here.

For the most part, rating my music works without issues, however, there is a collection of albums that refuses to stay tagged. I tag it at work, then run the sync tool tag the files with my ratings. It seems to run fine, and the ratings are saved on my work computer. but if I connect the same drive at home, and import the tracks, they come into the library without ratings. I can rate them at home, but why won't it read the tags in the files? how do I even know if the files themselves are tagged (and not just in my library)?

it seems to work in most every other album, but on these for some reason it just won't stick. I made sure that the file was NOT set as read-only, what else could it be?

btw using MM 3.1.2.1267
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What file type are these files? Do other changes to these files stick or also fail to be saved to the files? You are running Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags on these tracks when you talk about the sync tool?
SelArom

Post by SelArom »

Lowlander wrote:What file type are these files? Do other changes to these files stick or also fail to be saved to the files? You are running Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags on these tracks when you talk about the sync tool?
they are mp3 files, and yes that is the tool I'm talking about. I'm not 100% sure other changes don't stick, but I'm pretty sure that they don't, because I recall on more than one occasion when importing data that i had to re-tag a few artists/titles that I know I had corrected at work.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

SelArom wrote:
Lowlander wrote:What file type are these files? Do other changes to these files stick or also fail to be saved to the files? You are running Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags on these tracks when you talk about the sync tool?
they are mp3 files, and yes that is the tool I'm talking about. I'm not 100% sure other changes don't stick, but I'm pretty sure that they don't, because I recall on more than one occasion when importing data that i had to re-tag a few artists/titles that I know I had corrected at work.
Try to clear the tags first, then sync them again. Sometimes corrupted tags can prevent MM from saving new tags to the file properly and cleaning them out helps.

SelArom

Post by SelArom »

nohitter151 wrote:
SelArom wrote:
Try to clear the tags first, then sync them again. Sometimes corrupted tags can prevent MM from saving new tags to the file properly and cleaning them out helps.
is that the tools-> clean 1d3 tags option?

will that delete everything completely, or will the library still keep its info so that I can re-write them again?

btw thanks for the help!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes the library will maintain it's values. After running the Clean ID3v1 & V2 tags run the Synchronize Tags in the same menu to save the values to the files.
SelArom

Post by SelArom »

this unfortunately did not work. no matter what I try, if I rescan the tracks, my star ratings disappear on this album only. I tried removing read-only, not sure what else to try. any suggestions for what else I can try?

if you need more info please let me know, I'd really like to fix this...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If it's this one album that has issues you can send the smallest track to support so they can analyze it.