Extremely slow sync to iPod Classic 160

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

cbreaker

Extremely slow sync to iPod Classic 160

Post by cbreaker »

Hi,

I have a new 160GB iPod Classic. It's the one that replaced the 120GB.

Using the latest beta.

When I try to sync with my iPod, it takes about five seconds for each track. This is extremely slow, compared to the 12MB/s (two or three songs a second) that WinAMP and iTunes can do.

Since I'm trying to sync over 10,000 songs, this is going to take very very long time.

Any ideas? I like that I can set up an auto-sync list in MediaMonkey which is why I'd like to use it over WinAMP.

Thanks.
cbreaker

Re: Extremely slow sync to iPod Classic 160

Post by cbreaker »

Well, I ended up doing a device reset and then trying MediaMonkey again. It's copying a lot faster now, although I still think it's quite a bit slower than the others. Obviously the transcoding ones will take a little while but the MP3's are going much faster now. Maybe 1-2 second per, sometimes less depending on the size, obviously.
cbreaker

Post by cbreaker »

Yea so it's still pretty damned slow, truthfully.

And, MediaMonkey is the slowest ever at scanning my music. Holy cow it's bad. There's currently 29,455 songs in my library. To rescan that folder to detect changes, it takes about an hour. A damned HOUR. WinAMP does a full database rebuild in 20 minutes, and a rescan in 10.

Songbird takes a new approach, by detecting changes to the filesystem automatically. When you drop in a new file into your music folders, Songbird picks it up within a few seconds and adds it to the library. It will do the same when it starts up, and only takes a moment.

I had high hopes for MediaMonkey. I'd used it in the past but trying to use it now has proven to be difficult because of the long scans and syncs. And, it will just decide to stop responding from time to time.

Rundown:

- Mediamonkey takes a looooong time to scan folders and sync to iPod, but it has an auto-sync feature making syncing things very nice and keeps things up to date on the iPod automatically.

- WinAMP scans the library quickly and the interface is nice and snappy, but it can only push files out to the iPod and if you modify something you have to delete it from the iPod and push it again (for instance, you change the Genre, Album name, etc.)

- iTunes.. well, it's iTunes. You can't even tell the damned thing to rescan your music folders. It assumes you'll use iTunes, on a single machine, to manage your library from the time you install iTunes. Sorry but I have a lot of things that pull from the folders- UPNP media servers, etc.

- Songbird is very good at finding changes to the media library quickly, and the thing is an awesome media player with kickass plugins. But, it behaves like WinAMP when it comes to the iPod, only worse: it doesn't sync Album Art. That sucks.

- Windows Media Player - Well, it's bad too. Very limited control over the way WMP works.

I will say that I've been pleasantly surprised that all of the media players work well with DFS shares.

It's hard choosing the lesser of evils.
nduke

Post by nduke »

Just wondering if you've upgraded to iTunes 9? I've found that since I upgraded to 9 my syncs also take 30-60 minutes. With iTunes 8.x it took just a few minutes. I'm currently going under the assumption that the outrageous slowdown is being caused by the Apple components in the background and not by MediaMonkey per se.

I'm holding off blaming MM because you'll see the same complaints in Apple's support forums from iTunes 9 users as well as most programs that interact with ipods.

Maybe Apple will eventually offer up a patch that will help out. In the meantime, give MM a chance - it's an incredible program!
cbreaker

Post by cbreaker »

I'm trying!

I'm still trying to use it to sync stuff. It's kinda slow, but it works. Mostly.

Maybe I'm just not finding it, but is there any way to rescan your watch folders without restarting the entire application? And is that part slow for you too? It takes an awful long time to rescan the entire file structure.

I hope they fix the bug with the auto-sync list window, where you can resize the window to make the list bigger but next time you open the window, the list is small again, even though the window is big. So, you have to make the window small, close it, open it again, then expand it. Not the end of the world but it's a nuisance.

~Edit: PS, Yea, iTunes 9. I didn't really have a choice since I never had any other version installed, and 9 was the only choice. If I can find a copy of iTunes 8 or something I'll try that.