Last.FM Node: dynamic node based on last.fm 2020.04.19 [MM3][MM4]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Teknojnky

Re: Last.FM Node: dynamic node based on last.fm 2009.08.17 [MM3]

Post by Teknojnky »

You need 3.1 to avoid that error.

Well, it no longer assumes the 2.5 by default anymore, the -1 means all tracks are searched.

If you queue more than 1 track, then it is very possible that the same artist can play more than once. It only checks for artists that have played, so when adding more than one track, the list can include more than one song by the same artist (that hasn't played yet). Make sure you only have 1 song queued in the options.

You can also enable logging and look thru the log file to see what is happening, if it can't find any available tracks within the normal restrictions it will start reducing the time, but the log should indicate that if its happening.
clom

Post by clom »

Thx for the response. I missed the 3.1 part in the opening post... I don't get the error now anymore.

As for repeating artist < [Time set in options], I enabled the log and upon viewing it I can see it building the node from the cross section of songs it gets from Last.fm and the songs I have in my library. I also see it evaluating certain artists as "to soon to play" but then sometimes it still picks an artist that is "to soon" even if there are tracks in the node that are not to soon? However, as I also missed the bit about the script needing MM >= 3.1 I'll look into it a bit more first to make sure I'm not missing anything. If I still think it's not working correctly I'll post a part of the log here.
Desertway

Post by Desertway »

I have just recently begun experimenting with scripts, and I absolutely love this last.fm node. The DJ function works beautifully, and the results always seem to make sense.

I have read through this lengthy thread, and my head is spinning a bit. Forgive me if this has been answered. I believe it was mentioned that the DJ can work by either selecting just one song as a seed, or a few songs. Can you tell me how the few songs seed works?

Second question: Using the node icon, I set "john coltrane" as a favorite artist. Opening the artists node beneath the last.fm node, I see john coltrane. Selecting "john coltrane" creates a playlist of only John Coltrane songs. But, if I click the + and open up the node, there is a selection of related artists. It seems to me that the last time I used this queue function, it created a playlist of those related artists, but now it does not. How can I queue up related artists, rather than related tracks? Did I inadvertently change a setting? Is this question clear?

Screenshots:

By desertway at 2009-09-18

By desertway at 2009-09-18
Last edited by Desertway on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Glad you like it!

1) There is only 1 seed song used. With dj mode, the last song in the now playing list is used to find more related song(s) which are then added to the NP list. You can adjust how many songs are queued in the last.fm node options. (tools > options > library > last.fm node)

If you click the root last.fm node itself, it loads related tracks of the currently playing song as should be indicated in the node title. This is the same list that it used when the dj mode activates.

2) this script has never generated playlists, perhaps you are thinking of another script. I think one of trixmoto's script generates playlists, 'similar artists' script I think.

the artist node expands and shows similar artists, from which you can also click those to find that artists tracks and/or further expand that artist to find more similar artists.

You can easily save any songs to a playlist, just drag and drop tracks from the last.fm node list to any non-autoplaylist in the playlist node. You can also use the 'send to' right click menu, or click the playlist button on the standard toolbar to quickly add tracks to a playlist or create a new one.

And you can of course add any track or tracks to the now playing queue, just keep in mind the dj mode works off the last track in the now playing list.

edit:
I think you might be confused, the artist nodes will load that artists top tracks. Expanding the artist node shows similar artists, from there, each of those artists nodes also load that artists top tracks.

To get 'similar artists', which is acually similar tracks, you just play a song and click the root last.fm node.

Currently there is no way to list similar tracks other than the currently playing song but I want to add that functionality some day.
Last edited by Teknojnky on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertway

Post by Desertway »

Teknojnky wrote:Glad you like it!

2) this script has never generated playlists, perhaps you are thinking of another script. I think one of trixmoto's script generates playlists, 'similar artists' script I think.

the artist node expands and shows similar artists, from which you can also click those to find that artists tracks and/or further expand that artist to find more similar artists.

You can easily save any songs to a playlist, just drag and drop tracks from the last.fm node list to any non-autoplaylist in the playlist node. You can also use the 'send to' right click menu, or click the playlist button on the standard toolbar to quickly add tracks to a playlist or create a new one.
Thanks so much. For some reason, I thought it automatically queued related artists, but I can do it myself. Amazing script.

Ellen
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

The dj mode does automatically queue related tracks which are by related artists, but are generally ordered by similarity to that track.

If no usable similar tracks are found, the script will automatically try to find similar artists in your library and find a random top track from a random similar artist.

For example, if you play Blue Train, it look for these similar tracks in your library.

If it can't find any usable tracks, then it will automatically look for similar artists, pick a random similar artist that is in your library, then pick a random top track from that artist.

If it still can't find any usable tracks, then will reduce the time restrictions and try again, after a few tries and it can't anything it will eventually just pull a random track from your library so the queue does not run out.

so to sumarize,

dj-mode: queue similar tracks to now playing using the last song in the now playing list as the seed

last.fm node: shows the similar tracks to the currently playing song
artist: shows top tracks for playing artist, expand to show your favorite artists (expand for their similar artists)
tags: shows top popular tracks for playing tag (using its genre), expand to show your favorite tags (expand for those tags artists)
users: shows weekly, overall, and recommeded artists and tracks
and so on

you don't need the dj mode enabled to use the last.fm node or vice versa
the dj mode does the queueing, the last.fm node itself just lists the tracks/artists, but does not queue anything or generate actual playlists.
Desertway

Post by Desertway »

Teknojnky wrote:
so to sumarize,

dj-mode: queue similar tracks to now playing using the last song in the now playing list as the seed

last.fm node: shows the similar tracks to the currently playing song
artist: shows top tracks for playing artist, expand to show your favorite artists (expand for their similar artists)
tags: shows top popular tracks for playing tag (using its genre), expand to show your favorite tags (expand for those tags artists)
users: shows weekly, overall, and recommeded artists and tracks
and so on

you don't need the dj mode enabled to use the last.fm node or vice versa
the dj mode does the queueing, the last.fm node itself just lists the tracks/artists, but does not queue anything or generate actual playlists.
Yes, I was confused (seems to happen on a regular basis). Thanks for the clarification. I've got it now. And thanks again for such a great addition to a great program.
bilzebub

Post by bilzebub »

Hi there,

I am having problems installing this on my win 7-32 rtm machine -- on which i have had the lastest three betas (currently .1274), none of which would get past the install dialogue (all the info I get is "product installation error). This installed well on my 64 bit machine, however. The only other script I have installed is the last.fm service. Thanks for all your work on this, though -- I love it!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

bilzebub wrote: (all the info I get is "product installation error).
You need to start MM as the administrator or turn off the UAC to install add-ons:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=59
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
bilzebub

Post by bilzebub »

Hi, Thanks,

That didn't work (am an admin, and ran MM as such) but totally uninstalling and deleting all MM registry items etc and reisntalling did. I was just hoping I could somehow overwrite the existing installation, as doing all that was a bit timeconsuming -- works fine now though cheers -- again, I am loving the script!
germanjulian

Post by germanjulian »

sorry do not have time to go through the whole thread.

How would I get the top tracks in order by an artist using this last.fm node?
tekseven

Post by tekseven »

Are there any plans to update this for MM3.2? Right now I am getting a VBscript error:
tekseven

Post by tekseven »

Teknojnky wrote:make sure you have something in now playing/player.
Right, my mistake. Works on 3.2 for me, now. Brilliant script.
thegoldenvision

Post by thegoldenvision »

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Clicking on the Last.FM Node returns a list of tracks from my Last.fm profile however, clicking on any of the sub nodes (Artist, Tags, User etc) does absolutely nothing and I'm stumped if I can work out why. I am running MM 3.1.2.1266 on an XP machine

thanks in advance
thegoldenvision