iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

cmx

Re: iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Post by cmx »

Mark, thank you for the response and thank you for the work and sharing it here.

I understood about multiple db's (there are other parts of the scenario I'm not up to speed on tho). I need a solution that is transparent to users.
There is no way four different users with 7 devicies will be able to do this here. It is simply too much to ask a casual user to navigate thru...and I simply do not have the time and energy to create and maintain the seven instances needed to initiate the process....and there are at least three computers that maintain 3-to all seven devices...ugh...you can imagine how the authorization process in itunes alone is a nightmare.

I will hopefully be able to make the time to try your process with my device and see how it goes. I will probably have more questions...lol.

Thanks you again for the interest and help in figuring something out.

*edit- wasn't able to download file...limit was reached.
d00p

Post by d00p »

Fantastic work, Mark!!
I've uploaded your file again to http://rapidshare.com/files/254210095/E ... 2.0.0.mmip. This is an premium account, so it should not have limits.
I've also found some problems:
- When you send a playlist to MM it creates the playlist containing the files but it also creates a bunch of empty playlists called zzz
- I've you select a folder, not an playlist, and export to itunes you get a pointer exception
- I've you try to export an already exported playlist you get a subindex exception at findUsed()

What I think that would be very cool would be to be able to sync a playlist, not only export. I mean, if we sync an already existent playlist to the iphone it would be cool to add mm new tracks to itunes playlist but also be able to remove missing ones. But, well, I suppose that this would be second version :P
msfeinstein

Post by msfeinstein »

Videogame wrote:Now CopyTrans Manager can sync...
I tried it out and it does allow me to manage music on my iPhone 3GS (copy music to and delete from the iPhone).
So, the good news is that it is definitely possible.

I asked them how they get around the Apple hash, but they politely declined to tell me (I figured that it didn't hurt to ask).

Knowing this, is there any information I can provide that would help the MM team get everything working?
azblk

Post by azblk »

msfeinstein wrote:
Videogame wrote:Now CopyTrans Manager can sync...
I tried it out and it does allow me to manage music on my iPhone 3GS (copy music to and delete from the iPhone).
So, the good news is that it is definitely possible.

I asked them how they get around the Apple hash, but they politely declined to tell me (I figured that it didn't hurt to ask).

Knowing this, is there any information I can provide that would help the MM team get everything working?
I have been using copytrans manager for a few days now and it does work but it is just not MM or even close. I will just have to use this until MM comes up with a solution.
aaduarte

Post by aaduarte »

Hi thanks for the script but the link it´s not working.

I decided to move back to itunes, i´ve been resistive but i don´t see much progress. i´ll be back until MM gets fixed in august or september,
Mr. Dog

Post by Mr. Dog »

Thanks for the repost of the script, d00p! It was appreciated.

I found the same problem with the 50 or so "zzz" playlists being generated. I also agree that a smart playlist function would be cool.

Really, the problem is not with the scripts or the functionality of MM, but rather in the closed approach Apple takes. The fact is that Apple does not share their toys or play well with the other kids in the sandbox. They never have. (begin rant) About ten years ago, Apple let third party vendors make Mac compatible hardware, only to pull their licenses after a year or two. Think about it; MS is more open-source than Apple. That's crazy!

Also, and I know this is a little off topic, even when you do buy Apple stuff, they don't let the end user have any real control. For example, I wanted to dl a video onto my iPhone, but didn't have the space. Don't you think I should have been able to delete stuff from the phone without syncing it? Apple thinks not. You can delete apps, but not media. The photo library is the same way.

I love my iPhone. It's Apple I really don't care for. (end rant)
d00p wrote:- When you send a playlist to MM it creates the playlist containing the files but it also creates a bunch of empty playlists called zzz...

...What I think that would be very cool would be to be able to sync a playlist, not only export. I mean, if we sync an already existent playlist to the iphone it would be cool to add mm new tracks to itunes playlist but also be able to remove missing ones. But, well, I suppose that this would be second version :P
m1abrams

Post by m1abrams »

Mr. Dog wrote:Thanks for the repost of the script, d00p! It was appreciated.

Also, and I know this is a little off topic, even when you do buy Apple stuff, they don't let the end user have any real control. For example, I wanted to dl a video onto my iPhone, but didn't have the space. Don't you think I should have been able to delete stuff from the phone without syncing it? Apple thinks not. You can delete apps, but not media. The photo library is the same way.

I love my iPhone. It's Apple I really don't care for. (end rant)
I have no problems deleting media from my iphone without syncing.
ergo_sum

Post by ergo_sum »

Thanks for providing the ExportToItunes script.
However, there's still a bug in it. I organize my playlists in folders. For example, in my folder "Hits" there is a playlist called "2009", and I also have folder "Sports" with a playlist called "2009". When I try to export the Sports-2009 playlist the script exports the Hits-2009 playlist. I'm not able to export the complete Hits folder, either. So the script is useless for me. A "folder awareness" of the script would be great and appreciated very much! :D

Best regards,
Ralf
njkode

Post by njkode »

So is there any updates? Does the new update 8.2.1 change the DB at all making us have to start all over again?
DaSwitz

Post by DaSwitz »

njkode wrote:So is there any updates? Does the new update 8.2.1 change the DB at all making us have to start all over again?
I keep monitoring the ticket for this (http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5798) hoping that they'll update with the current status. I'm not sure if the lack of updates to the ticket means they haven't done anything yet or that they're just not updating the ticket.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

DaSwitz wrote:
njkode wrote:So is there any updates? Does the new update 8.2.1 change the DB at all making us have to start all over again?
I keep monitoring the ticket for this (http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5798) hoping that they'll update with the current status. I'm not sure if the lack of updates to the ticket means they haven't done anything yet or that they're just not updating the ticket.
I'm sure there won't be any updates at all there until a solution is found.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

I've been working on the ExportToItunes script again and produced a 2.1 version http://rapidshare.com/files/256850506/E ... .mmip.html

* More feedback to the user while operating via status messages
* Supports playlist folders so that a folder of playlists can be exported together (not perfect though - see below) The hierarchy of folders is flattened out into iTunes e.g. parent1-parent2-parent3.leaf
* Lots of performance enhancers to avoid reconnection to iTunes, rescanning for child playlists etc.
* Playlist are only updated if the number of tracks have changed (not foolproof but covers 98% of cases)
* Syncing more than 100 playlists still fails but not with an exception
* Zero length playlists are not transferred to iTunes

To answer a few of the questions that have been asked

* The zzz playlists are (unfortunately) a necessity. This is a workaround because Apple have not opened up access to the "whch playlists get synchronised to the device" information. The zzz playlists are pre-created and then renamed/ipdated as needed. You can reduce the number of them by changing the emptySlotCount at the start of the script
* Recursive playlists are now supported. It is still necessary for the playlist name to be unique though. If someone can explain to me how to get from the TreeNode instance to it's playist without going via it's name I'd be most grateful.
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507
con

Post by con »

markstuartwalker wrote:I've been working on the ExportToItunes script again and produced a 2.1 version http://rapidshare.com/files/256850506/E ... .mmip.html
No more downloads allowed. Can someone who got a chance to download this please setup a new link for everyone else :D Thanks.

con
cmx

Post by cmx »

ahem....Jiri??? I need to update music on the phone. Any word on this? Or should I just start using another music player?
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507