Windows 7 Preview Toolbar

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

CobusK

Windows 7 Preview Toolbar

Post by CobusK »

I like Windows 7. So much in fact that I killed my XP partition completely now. Obviously I still love MediaMonkey to bits, but I find that I'm using Windows Media Player more and more. And the major reason is the slick implementation of the preview toolbar. For those who don't know Windows 7, this is a little toolbar that shows in the preview window that pops up when you hover over the WMP taskbar button. I know of course that the MediaMonkey miniplayer is smaller still, but I quite like the new plan with the empty notification area.

So here is my plan. MediaMonkey needs a good implementation of the preview window, complete with the mini-toolbar. And given how slick the new version of the old Show desktop feature is, a desktop gadget that shows track and perhaps playlist info is also a good idea. But the mini-toolbar is essential.

Oh, and the jump list should contain favourite playlists, as well as the auto-playlists like recently played.

And now I should sign off before the title and content of my message really have nothing to do with one another :lol:
Stocklone

Re: Windows 7 Preview Toolbar

Post by Stocklone »

I totally agree. Windows 7 has good possibility of being huge and MediaMonkey needs to plan for the transition to 7. I plan on buying it as soon as it comes out and have been directing all of my friends/family who are still using XP in the same direction.
mmfan

Post by mmfan »

Same, I'd love to see taskbar preview and jumplist integrate into 3.1 as later updates. Hopefully by the end of this year.
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 |
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

is it not possible to implement this with some kind of plugin/hack?
reason being is that it's been done for foobar already http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_w7shell
and there's a few projects adding jumplists to gmail notifiers etc.

The older MM gets the worse it stacks up against the alternatives. If only you'd refresh the skinning engine to support DWM and 7! :roll: :lol:
Zarge

Post by Zarge »

Where should i put the foo_w7shell.dll file? I tryed in /mediamonkey/plug-ins folder, didnt work... :cry:
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Zarge wrote:Where should i put the foo_w7shell.dll file? I tryed in /mediamonkey/plug-ins folder, didnt work... :cry:
Foobar plugins are not compatible with MM!
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Something like this will be implemented as a part of MM 4.0.

Jiri
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

zombiefly wrote:The older MM gets the worse it stacks up against the alternatives.
I am one of MM's biggest fans. I have used it for a long time.
It is playing all day long, while I tag files and manage my database of 600+GB.
However I have to agree it is beginning to get long in the tooth, esp when you see what the alternatives are doing.
I do wish MM well and hope very much that you will keep up.

I have been using Windows 7 throughout this year. It is essential that MM can be Fully Integrated with Windows 7. Other players can behave like this and MM needs to too, otherwise I am sorry to say others will use other players.
sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

MusicBringer wrote:
zombiefly wrote:The older MM gets the worse it stacks up against the alternatives.
I am one of MM's biggest fans. I have used it for a long time.
It is playing all day long, while I tag files and manage my database of 600+GB.
However I have to agree it is beginning to get long in the tooth, esp when you see what the alternatives are doing.
I do wish MM well and hope very much that you will keep up.

I have been using Windows 7 throughout this year. It is essential that MM can be Fully Integrated with Windows 7. Other players can behave like this and MM needs to too, otherwise I am sorry to say others will use other players.
That is exactly what I've been trying to say in some other threads. I am slowly being more inclined towards Windows Media Player in Windows 7. I used only WMP for about 3 months, until I realized that MM has too many features which makes it a must. The thing is, MM, as of now, has the image where you 'need' it, but dont 'want' it. It almost seems like un necessary evil. No offence to MM, I've been using MM for many years, and the reason I'm writing so bluntly is because I support MM and want MM to be the staple of Media players and managers.

MM needs to move forward with its interface. Although its core elements are the strongest, I dont feel its as intuitive as it used to be. WMP and the new version of iTunes surely have the thing going now.

So please, we want Windows 7 integration: jump lists, preview panes etc.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

sa_ill, I don't think the owners/developers are listening to us.
They fail to understand that there is a tremendous hard core of established followers here who are now seeing their favourite player stagnating.
MM must not be allowed to stand still. MM needs to constantly move forward.
Most of the recent recent *features* are of no use to me. I do not have nor do I want an iPoo player thingy.
It seems to me that much of the effort is concentrated on this sort of feature.
Windows 7 has been ignored - and don't give me the excuse that Windows 7 is still in beta. I have been using Windows 7 as my main OS for the past nine months.
Please do not allow this wonderful player to continue to rot and decay.
For example an area that is being overlooked and neglected is the issue with Huge Fonts. If you mention it you are considered to be whining over nothing.
I do not want MM to die and become obsolete.
And don't pass this off by saying: yeah it's planned for version 4. You are not M$ you are MM.
Restore some confidence in MM by giving us some Quick Wins - now.
Come on MM pull yer socks up, please.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are many feature requests and the team needs to balance them. This means unfortunately many won't see all there requests honored. And as much as you didn't need some of most recent additions, I don't need Vista/Windows 7 sidebar integration. We all have a different set of priorities for MediaMonkey and I think the team does a good job in balancing all the requests (and yes some of my request have been made years ago).
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

You are quite correct in what you are saying: "the team needs to balance them".
I empathise fully with you and your comments.
It just seems to me that the team are forgetting the "tremendous hard core of established followers".
So far this year the team have chosen to ignore Windows 7.
This means that MM is now sadly out of date. MM is no longer amongst the top players - where it ought to be.
Maybe the team are listening to those that shout loudest; pandering to the populous who cry out for fancy features. Maybe the team need to rethink their original mission statement. Maybe the team need to look at the competition. I'll sit down now :D
Gizzmo

Post by Gizzmo »

I could not agree more!
Using MM in Windows 7 can be a real pain, and it is all about the outdated GUI.
Besides the fact MM is ignoring the entire Win7 Shell (seriously, giving it a closer look nothing works the way it should be) the Skins are incredibly slow.

I think, to fix that one will have to build up a completely new GUI from scratch.
This may take a while, and the community will have to build all new Skins, but from my point of view it is the only way to keep a perfectly good Program from dying.

Just my 2 cents to join the rebellion ;)
sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

Gizzmo wrote:I could not agree more!
Using MM in Windows 7 can be a real pain, and it is all about the outdated GUI.
Besides the fact MM is ignoring the entire Win7 Shell (seriously, giving it a closer look nothing works the way it should be) the Skins are incredibly slow.

I think, to fix that one will have to build up a completely new GUI from scratch.
This may take a while, and the community will have to build all new Skins, but from my point of view it is the only way to keep a perfectly good Program from dying.

Just my 2 cents to join the rebellion ;)
I second that!
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Gizzmo, the team are not listening :(
I am not getting a nice warm feeling on this one.
I have a horrible suspicion that the MM team will continue to ignore Windows 7.
They have shown no interest thus far, preferring to attend to "other priorities".
No one will sit down and rewrite a whole load of code that is likely to be necessary to meet this requirement. A requirement that is tantamount to a Show Stopper.
We'll see... 8)