Can I create Ipod auto-playlists in mediamonkey?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Bernoulli1985

Can I create Ipod auto-playlists in mediamonkey?

Post by Bernoulli1985 »

I used to only use itunes for this but now I can't use itunes or it will erase my ipod (I set my ipod up with mediamonkey and forgot to set it up in itunes)

Autoplaylist being the playlists automatically created and maintained by a set critereia (at least X stars, most played, most recent added ect)

thanks
nohitter151

Re: Can I create Ipod auto-playlists in mediamonkey?

Post by nohitter151 »

Right click on the Playlists node, then go to New Autoplaylist.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Bernoulli1985

Post by Bernoulli1985 »

thank you, however what I was looking for was a playlist on my ipod. I'm aware of the auto-playlists but I can't seem to get one on my acutal ipod. Like I said this was the only thing I would use itunes for but now I can't do that...Does mediamonkey even have this ability?
PGR

Post by PGR »

Make your playlist in MM and save it. Then (with your iPod connected), go to the playlist module, right-click the playlist you just saved, and choose Send to in the flyout menu. Your iPod should be in the list and when you click it, the playlist should sync to the iPod.

That's how I do it with my iPod Touch and it works perfectly.

Pete
Bernoulli

Post by Bernoulli »

Ok that almost sounds good. This won't send doubles of the tracks to my ipod? That's what I'm afriad of, especially because its hard to find the doubles once they're on there.
fak wrote:Please tell us how you're trying to lose weight - I want to tell you that it doesn't work this way and take away your motivation.
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Hul ... orum/17853
Molly's got a crush on us!
Bernoulli

Post by Bernoulli »

ah yes I just tried it, it sends double up.

I'm trying to create an auto-playlist aka a smart-playlist on my ipod. As I said earlier it's possible with Itunes and I have done it before. However I can't do it this time because itunes wants to erase my ipod because I didn't set it up initially through itunes. I've gone up and down these forums and google! If mediamonkey can't do it is there an alternate program that can do it without needing an ipod system restore?
fak wrote:Please tell us how you're trying to lose weight - I want to tell you that it doesn't work this way and take away your motivation.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Bernoulli wrote:ah yes I just tried it, it sends double up.

I'm trying to create an auto-playlist aka a smart-playlist on my ipod. As I said earlier it's possible with Itunes and I have done it before. However I can't do it this time because itunes wants to erase my ipod because I didn't set it up initially through itunes. I've gone up and down these forums and google! If mediamonkey can't do it is there an alternate program that can do it without needing an ipod system restore?
You can't manage tunes and playlists directly on the iPod, with MM you're meant to manage everything on PC then copy it to the iPod.

Bernoulli

Post by Bernoulli »

ah okay, thanks for the information.
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

This is a shame, cause it seems a bit of a hurdle between ditching itunes totally - essentially it sounds like MM can't make a playlist from the sync device library but will always draw on the main library; is there a way to manage two libraries in MM? so in a way I'd be treating the ipod like a seperate library with its own playlist node?

I mean on my ipod I have a playlist for unplayed tracks, similar one for unrated tracks. These playlists HAVE to refer to the ipod library if I'm going to have any hope of syncing - cause I've only just cleaned my mp3tags etc most of my metadata (play date, ratings etc) is empty - having the unplayed track playlist on MM would be a ridiculously long list of tracks that couldn't possibly sync to a small device... although it would be kinda cool to have a 100 random unplayed tracks list from the main library I could sync to keep some new music coming in all the time.... would want a way to merge/compare it with the unplayed tracks list already on the pod though to try and avoid duplicates.... would that be possible?

mmm anyway, seems a kinda pain not to be able to make lists just for the pod - at the moment I use itunes for apps anyway, so just make smartlists there...
(someone said earlier that itunes would wipe their pod - turn it to manually manage your music ... I use itunes lots and it doesnt touch my tracks etc).
wiz

Post by wiz »

I would have to agree with moonglow. I purchased MM last week and like it so far. I've finally got the sync kinks worked out and have my iPod synced with MM and wanted to create playlists on my iPod but could not find a way. I turned to the forum and found this thread. My iPod contains a subset of my music library since my entire library will not fit on my iPod. There should be a way of creating playlists for use on your synced device. To me this seems like a basic feature and am really suprised that it cannot be done. I guess this needs to be added to the wish list.
parsoj

so let me get this straight

Post by parsoj »

So this technology we have here, an iphone or ipod, with media monkey ... Never mind special auto-playlists, it's not even possible to make and edit more than one music playlist on the device. I would have thought that this would be possible without even needing to connect to the PC. Am I missing something huge? Probably.
nohitter151

Re: so let me get this straight

Post by nohitter151 »

parsoj wrote:So this technology we have here, an iphone or ipod, with media monkey ... Never mind special auto-playlists, it's not even possible to make and edit more than one music playlist on the device. I would have thought that this would be possible without even needing to connect to the PC. Am I missing something huge? Probably.
MM is a music library organizer, not an iPod organizer. That means you should keep your music files and playlists in order on your computer, and any changes made there can be mirrored to your portable device (iPod, iPhone, etc). Direct management of playlists and tracks on a portable device like iPods is not a feature currently supported by MM.

wiz

Post by wiz »

nohitter151 wrote:MM is a music library organizer, not an iPod organizer. That means you should keep your music files and playlists in order on your computer, and any changes made there can be mirrored to your portable device (iPod, iPhone, etc). Direct management of playlists and tracks on a portable device like iPods is not a feature currently supported by MM.
It should be a supported feature. Here's the reason why. I have an 18,000 track flac library, all of which will not fit on my 80gb iPod. So I sync a subset of my library to my iPod. I have also created playlists under MM. If I select my playlists for syncing more tracks get selected than I have space. For example In MM I have a playlist named Rock that includes all tracks with rock in the genre. I should be able to have the same playlist on my iPod that only includes the tracks on my iPod with rock in the genre.

I purchased MM Gold about 3 - 4 weeks ago to sync my library with my iPod. I use SqueezeCenter to play my music at home since it is stored on a nas. I have to say that after hearing so many good things about MM that I am very disappointed in the application. Here are my issues:
  • The album art on the iPod is all messed up. I posted this in another thread but no solution yet.
  • Transcoding/syncing is slow. Maybe I am expecting too much but on a dual core 2ghz/4gb memory laptop I expetected it to be faster (yes I am running 3.1 with multi core support)
  • MM hangs (becomes unresponsive) and has to be canceled via the task manager. I opened a high priority ticket on the 19th but have not received a reply nor has the ticket been updated by support.
  • Cannot have playlists on the iPod that don't include every track from the playlist on the laptop.
  • Not all new tracks or updated tracks are picked up by MM even though I have File Monitor turned on
Will these issues be addressed/fixed soon or does anyone know another application that does these and doesn't hang.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

wiz wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:MM is a music library organizer, not an iPod organizer. That means you should keep your music files and playlists in order on your computer, and any changes made there can be mirrored to your portable device (iPod, iPhone, etc). Direct management of playlists and tracks on a portable device like iPods is not a feature currently supported by MM.
It should be a supported feature. Here's the reason why. I have an 18,000 track flac library, all of which will not fit on my 80gb iPod. So I sync a subset of my library to my iPod. I have also created playlists under MM. If I select my playlists for syncing more tracks get selected than I have space. For example In MM I have a playlist named Rock that includes all tracks with rock in the genre. I should be able to have the same playlist on my iPod that only includes the tracks on my iPod with rock in the genre.
You can quite easily create several playlists who's only purpose is to keep in sync with an iPod. Create an "iPod" playlist, then create several sub playlists that you'd like on your iPod.

I can't speak for those other problems you've had, since I haven't had them. I don't know why everyone expects transcoding to be instant when you're doing it on-the-fly -- it can convert those tracks only as fast as they normally would be converted.

moonglow

Post by moonglow »

Wiz - I think the album art being messed up is an ipod issue, not a MM issue - I've seen it on other forums etc unrelated to MM. It's a pain though :/

nohitter151 - MM does support ipod/device syncing, so this seems like a gap in that support, rather than a whole new feature being requested. Totally ok that it doesnt at the moment, but just thought some people may have been considering script or other clever solutions to get around it in the interim....

I guess I've understood MM as a music manager rather than just an organiser, I mean its an awesome app, I guess I'm just trying to use it on some tangents from what the developers planned. Essentially I wanting it to assist my playback and listening on other devices (xbmc and ipod). It doesnt yet, but I live in hope :)