Updating Fields on Multiple Items

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Risser

Updating Fields on Multiple Items

Post by Risser »

I still can't figure out why you guys haven't changed this. I know a couple of times I've accidentally removed data.

Here's the deal. When I am editing multiple items, I need to be able to tell if the items have data already in them or not. The way it exists now, I can't. If a field has two different values, it shows as blank. So I can't tell if they are actually empty or have different values without looking at each one.

In fact, there are 4 different combinations:
- All blank: This is easy, leave it blank
- All the same: This is also easy, show the common value
- All the same or blank: This could be shown by shading the text box somehow to indicate that all the items that have a value are the same, but some items have no value. (As it stands now, there is no way to tell if all the Quality fields are set, because I can't show that field on the table either.)
- Fields have different values. This could be shown by a blank, shaded field, or better yet, include a drop down with each of the values, so you could pick an existing one to make them common, or type in a new one.

I think it's great that you are adding party mode and all that crap, but it's really frustrating when this has been like this for nearly a year with no change.

In fact, it's not even on the official wishlist.

Thanks,
Peter
Bex

Post by Bex »

Yes, this has really annoyed me to and i must say your suggestion is exactly how it should work!

Second this strongly!

/Bex
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

I third this!
behappyex

i agree too, when is going to be ready?

Post by behappyex »

This functionality is not something you can fix with scripts, so it should get a high priority. Also i will like to see much of the functionality from the scripts built in media monkey so the new user will not have to search the forum for scrips they need.
“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” John Lennon
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

I agree completely with your assessment of and solution the problem, but behappyex, I don't know what version of MM you use, but the latest version includes four useful scripts: Auto-increment track numbers, swap title and artist, Case checker, and Export all playlists.

I always recommend updating to the latest version, unless you are using a single-version license for MMG, in which case I recommend getting a lifetime license instead. For ten bucks more, you can get the latest bug fixes for the rest of MM's development. Although I haven't personally purchased MMG, this logically sounds like a much better deal to me.
chrisjj

Re: Updating Fields on Multiple Items

Post by chrisjj »

Excellent anaylists of requirements, Risser - Thanks.

> Fields have different values. This could be shown by a blank, shaded field

Let the solution be sure to distinguish this state from others.

> or better yet, include a drop down with each of the values

/And/ better yet! I.e. have the at-a-glance indication of the state AND a drop-down.

> I think it's great that you are adding party mode and all that crap, but it's really frustrating
> when this has been like this for nearly a year with no change.

More frustrating are the unfixed bugs equally old.
Chris
MoDementia

Re: Updating Fields on Multiple Items

Post by MoDementia »

If you are only interested in a few fields (the more fields, the slower the script) you can use http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=31014

Yellow = blank + 1 value
Red = More than 1 value
Also has dropdown for values.