Sync expansion cards within players?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

PromisedPlanet

Sync expansion cards within players?

Post by PromisedPlanet »

MediaMonkey people;

What's the status on adding the ability to access expansion cards (microSDHC etc.) while they're in the player? Any hope of getting this soon?

Thanks in advance.
rovingcowboy

Re: Sync expansion cards within players?

Post by rovingcowboy »

i remember doing this on my rca lyra in mm 2.4 so it should be do able now in mm 3.

the rca lyra had the drag and drop option so it was always found it would only hold small amount of songs on the player and had to use the sd card for more memory. it always found it as another drive or device so the rca lyra ways shows as drive D or some letter and the next letter was the card. the songs would go to them both as normal for one device but when played the card was just like it was part of the lyra, which it was.
monkey for some reason just showed as a seperate device even though it was in the lyra.

is that what you are getting with you portable? or don't you even see the card at all? :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

Yes, I'm using a Sirius Stiletto 2. MM3 only shows "Internal Memory", while Windows Media Player and Rhapsody show both "Internal Memory" and "Expansion Card".

I no longer have my Sansa Fuze, but when I was syncing it with MM3 (several months ago), there was the same issue.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

did you check for a firmware update from the makers of sansa? or sirius? 8) :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

rovingcowboy wrote:did you check for a firmware update from the makers of sansa? or sirius? 8) :-?
I have the latest firmware for the Stiletto.

But if it's a firmware issue, why would the expansion card be visible in WMP and Rhapsody, but not MM3?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

just gussing but maybe they have to have the portable see the player program? :-?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

Thanks. So, going back to my original question, can we expect this anytime soon? :wink: ( Question for any MM staff browsing the forum, I guess. )
GuyScharf

Post by GuyScharf »

I'd like to add that I was shocked today to discover that MM did not support the microSD card in my Sansa Fuze. I think I have a temporary workaround -- I drag audiobooks to the expansion card and let MM synch music to the internal memory -- but that's really a stopgap solution.

I hope that MM adds support for memory expansion cards soon.

I'll add that with the Sansa Fuze, an album shows up in the player's audiobook menu if one of two conditions holds: All files in the Audiobook directory on the internal memory show up in the audiobook menu. Or If you change the genre to "audiobook," then the files can be on the expansion card in any directory.
Last edited by GuyScharf on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

as the artical says that nohitter151 pointed out they remeoved the memory card stuff from mm3 for some reason, must have been needing updating for the cards, they were coming out with lots of different cards there for awhile.. maybe rusty and or one of the other developers will get it back in mm 3 some time soon. 8)
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

I didn't see in the article where it said that MediaMonkey ever supported MTP synchronization of expansion cards?

re GuyScharf, does the Sansa Fuze also have an MSC mode? If so, can MM see the card in that mode?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rovingcowboy wrote:as the artical says that nohitter151 pointed out they remeoved the memory card stuff from mm3 for some reason, must have been needing updating for the cards, they were coming out with lots of different cards there for awhile.. maybe rusty and or one of the other developers will get it back in mm 3 some time soon. 8)
RC, you've got to stop thinking that features were removed from MM3 that were in MM2. No features were removed, and MM could never sync with these cards in MM2 from MTP mode. MSC (mass storage mode) continues to be supported for these cards.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

nohitter151 wrote:
rovingcowboy wrote:as the artical says that nohitter151 pointed out they remeoved the memory card stuff from mm3 for some reason, must have been needing updating for the cards, they were coming out with lots of different cards there for awhile.. maybe rusty and or one of the other developers will get it back in mm 3 some time soon. 8)
RC, you've got to stop thinking that features were removed from MM3 that were in MM2. No features were removed, and MM could never sync with these cards in MM2 from MTP mode. MSC (mass storage mode) continues to be supported for these cards.
so the rca lyra uses msc and not mtp? okay that should still work then ? i'll have to find it and get an sd card and see if i can still get the songs on it. :(
GuyScharf

Post by GuyScharf »

PromisedPlanet wrote:re GuyScharf, does the Sansa Fuze also have an MSC mode? If so, can MM see the card in that mode?
Nice idea, but no go. I tried MSC mode. Although the Fuze then appears as two drive letters in Windows Explorer, MM still does not see the expansion card.

I found that interesting because MM does see a CompactFlash card reader that is also attached to the computer. It just doesn't see the expansion card in the Fuze.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

GuyScharf wrote:
PromisedPlanet wrote:re GuyScharf, does the Sansa Fuze also have an MSC mode? If so, can MM see the card in that mode?
Nice idea, but no go. I tried MSC mode. Although the Fuze then appears as two drive letters in Windows Explorer, MM still does not see the expansion card.

I found that interesting because MM does see a CompactFlash card reader that is also attached to the computer. It just doesn't see the expansion card in the Fuze.
It should see it if you set up the USB mass plugin. Go to Tools | Options | Portable / Audio devices, then select USBmass1.dll and "Configure". go to the Device Configuration tab and select the drive letter that the card appears as, then hit OK.