why 2 different licenses?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

realgsd1

why 2 different licenses?

Post by realgsd1 »

What is the difference betweeb the two licenses and what are the restrictions on that #2 licence, if any? There appears to be no explanation of this difference on the main page, nor on the SWreg-page, nor are there any links leading to an explanation anywhere.
RealGSD1
jiri

Post by jiri »

The cheaper license is for the current version only (with minor upgrades and fixes for free), but not for the next major version. The lifetime license is simply forever - all future upgrades are for free.

The difference may not be clear from the web, we will add better description there.

Jiri
RealGSD1

Post by RealGSD1 »

Jiri,
I expect that, at my age, I am likely too old for the lifetime license, especially since there is no telling WHEN the next upgrade is due or what it MAY or may NOT include. But I also don't like the idea of paying 20 US$ for something that may very well expire in a few days from now. Looks like your software has been thought out and planned a LOT better then your business plan (if it can be called a plan). I do like the gold part of your software, so can you give me (and possibly others) some hard facts to base a decision on?
rusty

Difference b/w licenses

Post by rusty »

RealGSD1,

We don't discriminate by age--anyone can buy a lifetime license :-)

As Jiri indicated, the cheaper license is for the current version, and point upgrades to it. These upgrades will contain fixes and some new features, that will consist of minor updates to the current product (e.g. version 2.02, 2.1, 2.2, etc.)

On the other hand, if you want to buy a license that supports the next major release of the product (e.g. version 3 or 4), the Lifetime license would be more appropriate.

Since we just released version 2.0 of MediaMonkey, there are a large number of improvements that we hope to make to the current product before embarking on a new major release. We're already working on fixes for version 2.0x, and have also begun the process of speccing 2.1. We have not yet begun to think about 3.x releases--we'll likely do so when either a) we add some radically new functionality into the product b) we re-architect the product c) we license technology from third parties for inclusion in the product.

As to our business plan, it is continually evolving, but one key aspect is customer satisfaction--we're not in this to rip anyone off and will not be selling licenses for a product soon to be replaced with a new version without offering some sort of upgrade capability.

I hope this answers your questions, and I hope you decide to go for MediaMonkey Gold. Since MediaMonkey 2.0 was released less than 10 days ago, you can be certain that version 3.0 won't be coming out any time soon.

-Rusty
tralla

Post by tralla »

Hi all,

what about us old-time fans who bought a Gold license for Songs-DB when there was no restriction on versions? IMHO the least you can do is make all these old Songs-DB licenses lifetime MM ones and start the new license policy for new MM customers.

Cheers, Susanne
jiri

Post by jiri »

Susanne, it actually is this way. All licenses purchased for Songs-DB Gold were lifetime (there didn't even exist one version only licenses) and thus they all continue to be MediaMonkey Gold lifetime licenses.

Jiri