Classification and Genre Changer 1.1.1 (2008-03-01) [MM3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

fridge

Post by fridge »

spacefish wrote:The option to apply to artist is a great idea. I wonder if you could further extend this script with an option to apply to album. I will rarely want to use the artist option as I'm very particular about what classifications I set for what purpose, but I almost always use the same classification or genre throughout an album.
This is definitely possible and I'll add it in the next version (don't know when this will be though).

btw: I'm tagging moods for each track individually. That way I can generate playlists of tracks that I classified as calm, wild, passionate, warm, cold, political and whatsoever ... whenever something comes to my while listening to a track I'll tag it with that. I hardly use the occasion tag although I'm sometimes tagging tracks (again individual tracks not albums/artists) with something like morning, dinner, party, ... Genres I use a lot. I tend to tag all tracks by one artist with the same genres (this explains why my script has apply to artist but not apply to album) although I realise that that's not always quite correct. Right now my genre tags are a big mess and I figure this is the quickest way to get them in order. I'll mostly take the genre from some external source like rym. If I cannot find anything I'll come up with something.
WebNodes: adds customised WebNodes to your monkey
Classification and Genre Changer: easily edit the currently playing song's Classification and Genre
fridge's MM-Scripts
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

nynaevelan wrote:
spacefish wrote:The option to apply to artist is a great idea. I wonder if you could further extend this script with an option to apply to album. I will rarely want to use the artist option as I'm very particular about what classifications I set for what purpose, but I almost always use the same classification or genre throughout an album.
That is interesting because I am the opposite. I like to set my genre's by individual tracks and my classifications, particularly Occasion will be at the album and/or artist level, I like to use the Mood classification for the artists/tracks original genre. I have my collection broken up into only 13 genre's. How do you use your classifications??
First off, I'm an album listener so I tend to set classifications for whole albums though there have been a few exceptions. For example, I use the Occasion Work for those albums I want to take to work with me. I do have one occasion I use on a track by track basis and those are for songs I like to sing along to. Of course, I have a lot of albums from my childhood I still listen to so I do use it on an album basis also. Those are burned in my brain. :D

I do not use Mood but I do use Quality, again for an entire album with the rare exception.

My random track listening for now is limited to last.fm's streaming radio though I would like to try an autodj at some point. I'm just not ready yet. :)

I do set genre by track when I know it or I can find it, however I have a lot of albums where there really is no difference in genre between tracks. It's all blues rock or it's all psytrance. Also, even when there may be differences in sub-genre, the super-genre will be the same across the whole album, e.g. Classic Rock.

As for setting a classification to an artist, I suppose if I thought really hard I could find a case, but I haven't yet found a use for many of the default occasions and can't imagine using any one of them on any one artist.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

fridge wrote:
This is definitely possible and I'll add it in the next version (don't know when this will be though).
Sweet! Thanks. :D
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

SP:

I understand, we're doing the same thing but just using different fields, thanks for the explanation. 8)

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

No problem! :D
WebNodes
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

OFF TOPIC:

SP, do you have any particular sites where you can "easily" find the original release dates? I would like to find these for some of my favorite remakes but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Thanks

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

I try to use MusicBrainz whenever possible but it can be confusing looking at their releases if you're not used to the environment. They have search plugins for Firefox so I just type in the album name and go.

AllMusic has been a pretty reliable source although the site runs like crap and I have a hard time getting into individual items. Fortunately, the search listing always shows the earliest release year so I really don't need to go any further if it's found what I'm looking for. When you can get into the release information, you can see the whole release date, if known, genres, moods, label and catalog info, as well as links to re-releases, if applicable (like CDs with bonus tracks). No Firefox search plugin though (that I know of) so I tend to use it last.

For electronic music, I generally go with Discogs. They also have a Firefox search plugin.
WebNodes
fridge

Post by fridge »

spacefish wrote:No Firefox search plugin though (that I know of) so I tend to use it last.
A couple of allmusic search plugins can be found here. I'm using the "allmusic (3rd Party - Google)" one and it's working nicely. However, with the newest Firefox-version I'm getting an error message saying that FF doesn't support this plugin. This seems strange considering I've installed it a few months ago and am using it to date ...
Classification and Genre Changer: easily edit the currently playing song's Classification and Genre
fridge's MM-Scripts
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

fridge wrote:
spacefish wrote:No Firefox search plugin though (that I know of) so I tend to use it last.
A couple of allmusic search plugins can be found here. I'm using the "allmusic (3rd Party - Google)" one and it's working nicely.
Ah, very cool. Thanks! :)
WebNodes
fridge

Post by fridge »

This one's for spacefish :wink:

Version 1.1.1
- Added option "Apply to Album".
fridge's MM-Scripts
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

2 remarks:
1) when you run the script media monkey freezes for the time the update is made to single file. Since it takes couple of seconds for each if you try to navigate it's really painfull. You scroll one page you wait 2 seconds etc..
2) when I select new genre I want to aplly if a track has different one new one is added with ";" separator, I would prefer to replace the old one
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

aprzybylo wrote:2 remarks:
1) when you run the script media monkey freezes for the time the update is made to single file. Since it takes couple of seconds for each if you try to navigate it's really painfull. You scroll one page you wait 2 seconds etc..
I haven't installed the update yet but I haven't had this issue at all with the previous version. In fact, I've been using it for almost every track I've been playing lately since I just got in a bunch of new music. Do you have any other scripts installed?
2) when I select new genre I want to aplly if a track has different one new one is added with ";" separator, I would prefer to replace the old one
If you select the genre that's already there it will turn from green to red. When you click Save, the script will remove the red genre and add any others you have selected (yellow).
WebNodes
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

fridge wrote:This one's for spacefish :wink:

Version 1.1.1
- Added option "Apply to Album".
Woot! You rock. 8)

I have been using this script so much lately that I really can't imagine how I ever got along without it before!
WebNodes
aprzybylo

Post by aprzybylo »

spacefish wrote:
aprzybylo wrote:2 remarks:
I haven't installed the update yet but I haven't had this issue at all with the previous version. In fact, I've been using it for almost every track I've been playing lately since I just got in a bunch of new music. Do you have any other scripts installed?

I removed all scripts and have the same problem, processing of each track (If i select apply to artist) takes couple of seconds, during this time MM doesn't respond to any interaction.
If you select the genre that's already there it will turn from green to red. When you click Save, the script will remove the red genre and add any others you have selected (yellow).
If i play song if finds all genres of the same artist, one is turned green (the one from current song I guess) I can turn this one red <-> green. But all remaining ones are white and if I click them they turn yellow. If I leave them yellow then I have genre1;genre2;.... for each song, if l leave white I have old_genre;selected_genre for each (or just selected_genre if it was empty or old_genre=selected_genre)
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

I don't really understand what you just said but I know that if I have a genre or occasion there already (green), I select it to be removed (red), and I select another one (white) to add (yellow), the red one will be removed and the yellow one will be added, leaving only the one I wanted and not two separated by a semi-colon.

Perhaps if you included a screen-shot of what you are trying to do, someone could better determine what it is you'd like to accomplish.
WebNodes