How do you organize your music?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Post by Guest »

its is also safer in way of not having the chance of overwriting tne song file with another version of the same song from the same singer, which they do sometimes re do their songs.
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

Anonymous wrote:its is also safer in way of not having the chance of overwriting tne song file with another version of the same song from the same singer, which they do sometimes re do their songs.
This is probably the best reason for me in not putting my music into one directory. MM can surely handle it, but with concert recordings and such I would be stuck since i have multiple versions of many songs. That being said, one could overcome the limitation by putting more info into the file names...

I actually use an extensive subfolder system as a result of programs like MM not existing 10+ years ago when I started organizing my music.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

emalvick wrote:
This is probably the best reason for me in not putting my music into one directory. MM can surely handle it, but with concert recordings and such I would be stuck since i have multiple versions of many songs. That being said, one could overcome the limitation by putting more info into the file names...

I actually use an extensive subfolder system as a result of programs like MM not existing 10+ years ago when I started organizing my music.
you do know that monkey can re group all your songs in to a smaller sub folder system don't you? just use auto organizer.
and type in the url path you want the songs to be in.
monkey will take no time at all to set it up in the new system.
he even makes a red color over the songs he has listed as the same title going in to the same folder so you know to stop
and go fix the file's befor you do any moving.
when that happens i mostly just add a number to one of the song titles then it saves the song by the title with the number in. making it simple to see how many of the same song i have.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

rovingcowboy wrote:you do know that monkey can re group all your songs in to a smaller sub folder system don't you? just use auto organizer.
and type in the url path you want the songs to be in.
monkey will take no time at all to set it up in the new system.
he even makes a red color over the songs he has listed as the same title going in to the same folder so you know to stop
and go fix the file's befor you do any moving.
when that happens i mostly just add a number to one of the song titles then it saves the song by the title with the number in. making it simple to see how many of the same song i have.

8)
You need to read what I wrote before you respond...
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

and what do you think i missed?

i seen you said 10 + years ago.

how big is your collection. it can't be bigger then 10 + years.

but i also seen you said before mm, so i thought maybe
your still holding them in the old sub folder system you had.

so you can still sort it out if in the computer and i was just saying how to do it incase some one else wanted to know,

sort of answering mulitple times with one reply. 8) :wink:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

First off, my collection is 20+ years old. I only started creating mp3's 10+ years ago.

I was only stating that I put my music in those days in a system like the following:

Code: Select all

<album artist>\<album>\## - Artist - Title.mp3

as opposed to

Music\artist - title.mp3

as someone else stated because at the time, tags weren't that well used (by programs) and it made it easy to maintain a library. I still like the system because it keeps things organized.

I do know that MM can auto-organize, but why would I? I stated that I have many versions of the same song and artist that would get screwed up if I wanted fewer folders. Adding a number to it would be less than ideal. I also tend to be an album oriented listener, so having individual folders for each album is perfect. As it is, I've gone to a system that has actually added a level:

<album artist:1>\<album artist>\<album>\## - Artist - Title.mp3

because it makes the tree even cleaner for me.

My previous comment was more that if I would have gone with a one folder system (say if I was starting now with the benefits of all the fine programs like MM that can store a nice library structure), I would probably have all the info in the folder information in the file name...

e.g. Artist - Album - ## - Title.mp3

because I like to have all that information available in the file name itself. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it makes it easy for my mp3 player (which tends to sort on path) and more importantly my wireless music server. Perhaps if MM can ever act as a wireless music server I wouldn't need to deal with this, but that is another issue.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

20 + years? they had personel computers back then wow :o

ha aha ha LoL :roll: :wink: i just started adding my songs in the computers 1999 so i don't have many songs yet but i got enough for me.

sounds like you got them really exact and could find your dot you forgot to put on the letter I.

me i'll have to just throw a bunch of dots in there and hope one finds the letter I that needs it. :roll:

still I do have it set up in a neat order just not as detailed.

8)
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

rovingcowboy wrote:20 + years? they had personel computers back then wow :o

ha aha ha LoL :roll: :wink: i just started adding my songs in the computers 1999 so i don't have many songs yet but i got enough for me.

sounds like you got them really exact and could find your dot you forgot to put on the letter I.

me i'll have to just throw a bunch of dots in there and hope one finds the letter I that needs it. :roll:

still I do have it set up in a neat order just not as detailed.

8)
Yeah, like I said... The detail originated in the pre-music db days, and I like it. It came from losing CD's regularly and then later trying to find files amongst the masses. Tagging kind of eliminates all of those needs, but with auto-organization, there really is no reason not to keep at it.

By the way, my collection being 20 years+ means my original CD's... I had a PC back then, but when I think about it, it had a 2MB hard drive (my first PC in 1988). Can you imagine that? CD-ROM drives didn't exist. MP3 wasn't a format. I don't even think WAV was a format yet.

But then, it wouldn't have mattered. How much music would we have been able to store on a 2MB HD? :lol:
Alfadog

Post by Alfadog »

I have a very large music collection. The way I have it organized is like most of the other replies. I also prefer to have albums rather than songs so there are many sub folders.

First there are 27 folders #s, A, B, C...Z. Inside each folder is a folder named for the Artist and inside of that are the albums but those are all named with the year of released then the Album Name, for example A\AC DC\1980-Back In Black. That way when I browse I can see the albums in the order of release. Good for long timers like Rush or The Rolling Stones.

Inside each Big-Letter-A (or wichever letter) is a little-letter-a. These are for the one-sy two-sy songs I have, mostly taken from albums like hits of the 70's. This is because all songs are organized by artist and not albums so collections like this are broken up. If I collect 5 songs by an artist then they get their own folder.

Names are sorted by First name instead of last name. So Janis Joplin and John Lennon can both be found in the J-folder. This just works better for me.

The word "The" gave me grief for a while. In the begining The Eagles went to the T-folder but that folder became too large so I had to change to Eagles, The. But the files are still named The Eagles - Hotel California.mp3. It is still a toss up where to put The Who.

Also just to add MM is great. It has made the whole task of managing something this big fun to do.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well don't get the who mixed up with "the guess who"

that took some time to get straight on my system. as i had songs titled by the one band but done by the other band.

then the group called "the band" that can mess up things too.
if you don't watch it and are typing while tired.

lots of nice ways to set up the folder system.

also by the way if your music collection is including cd's then mine will have to include 78rpms and 45's and go back to the 1960's when i started getting records. i have a 45 of hugh downs narrating the first man on the moon story done in july 1969, thats as far back as i got from when i started. but i got older records later on. them 78's break in cold air just being on the shelf :o don't hit them with a kleanax the shock would break them too. :roll:
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

Well now I see we're getting on a tangent, but when it came to records, I eventually just went and bought CD's of the ones I really liked and avoided having to convert them to mp3 or digital format (with a couple of exceptions where CD's were never made).

My collection doesn't go back to 78's, although I inherited some of my grandfather's 78's and always felt they were better than 32's or 45's. Although I guess it depends. They seem more durable, but I guess they are also more brittle. I don't use them, so I've never seen them break.

Oh well... I had a few 8 tracks too, which I still have a few of for nostalgia sake ;) Actually, I should toss them. I never kept any cassette tapes.
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

So if it is an MP3 format then it is
Music/Albums/Artist - [Year] Album
If it is in something besides MP3 I will add the codec type in at the end. eg. (FLAC)
My album folder has over 5000+ folders in it.

The Beatles - [1958-1964] Anthology 1
The Beatles - [1961] In The Beginning (The Early Tapes Of The Beatles 1961) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1962-1965] Live At The BBC
The Beatles - [1962-1965] Past Masters Vol 1
The Beatles - [1962-1966] Red Album (2CD)
The Beatles - [1962] Love Me Do (Single)
The Beatles - [1963-a] Please Please Me (Introducing the Beatles - US Cover) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1963-b] With the Beatles [UK] (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1963] From Me To You (Single)
The Beatles - [1963] I Want To Hold Your Hand (Single)
The Beatles - [1963] Please Please Me (Single)
The Beatles - [1963] Please Please Me! (MFSL Gold Disc) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1963] She Loves You (Single)
The Beatles - [1963] Stars of '63
The Beatles - [1964-a] Meet The Beatles (US)
The Beatles - [1964-b] Second Album (US)
The Beatles - [1964-c] A Hard Day's Night (UK) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1964-d] Something New (US)
The Beatles - [1964-e] Beatles for Sale (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1964-f] The Beatles '65 (US)
The Beatles - [1964] A Hard Day's Night (Single)
The Beatles - [1964] Can't Buy Me Love (Single)
The Beatles - [1964] I Feel Fine (Single)
The Beatles - [1965-1967] Anthology 2
The Beatles - [1965-1970] Past Masters Vol 2
The Beatles - [1965-a] The Early Beatles (US)
The Beatles - [1965-b] The Beatles VI (US)
The Beatles - [1965-c] Help! [UK] (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1965-d] Help! (US)
The Beatles - [1965-e] Rubber Soul [UK] (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1965-f] Rubber Soul (US)
The Beatles - [1965] Help! (MFSL) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1965] Help! (Single)
The Beatles - [1965] Ticket To Ride (Single)
The Beatles - [1965] We Can Work It Out (Single)
The Beatles - [1966-a] Yesterday And Today (US)
The Beatles - [1966-b] Revolver [UK] (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1966] Paperback Writer (Single)
The Beatles - [1966] Revolver (MFSL) (True Dess) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1967-1970] Blue Album (2CD)
The Beatles - [1967-a] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1967-b] Magical Mystery Tour (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1967] All You Need Is Love (Single)
The Beatles - [1967] Hello, Goodbye (Single)
The Beatles - [1967] Magical Mystery Tour (MFSL) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1967] Sgt. Peppers (24-96 Needledrop MFSL UHQR Vinyl Rip) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1967] Strawberry Fields Forever (Single)
The Beatles - [1967] White Album (MFSL) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1968-1970] Anthology 3
The Beatles - [1968] Hey Jude (Single)
The Beatles - [1968] Lady Madonna (Single)
The Beatles - [1968] The Beatles (The White Album) (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1969-a] Yellow Submarine (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1969-b] Abbey Road (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1969] Ballad Of John And Yoko (Single)
The Beatles - [1969] Get Back (Single)
The Beatles - [1969] Something (Single)
The Beatles - [1970] Last Year (2CD)
The Beatles - [1970-a] Let It Be (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1970-b] Hey Jude
The Beatles - [1970-c-2003] Let It Be...Naked
The Beatles - [1970] Christmas Album (1963 - 1969)
The Beatles - [1970] Let It Be (Single)
The Beatles - [1988] Past Masters, Vol. 1 1962-1965 (FLAC)
The Beatles - [1988] Past Masters, Vol. 2 1965-1970 (FLAC)
The Beatles - [2000] 1
The Beatles - [2006] Love
The Beatles - [2006] The Capitol Albums Volume 2
The Beatles - Complete Discography (26 Albums) (ISO IMAGE)
The Beatles - Unknown Album

Then I have my music that I do not have in complete albums or sets which I call singles
Music/Singles/Sorted/<letter>/<artist>/<album>/<artist> - <title>
eg.
Music/Singles/Sorted/B/Beatles, The/The White Album/The Beatles - Back in the U.S.S.R..mp3

Then for compliations and soundtracks I have listed like this
Music/Albums/Various Artist - <Album Name>/<track> - <artist> - <title>.format
Music/Albums/Soundtrack - <Movie>/<track> - <artist> - <title>.format

I have duplicates due to this but I prefer to have albums complete since I usually listen to albums as a whole.
wokou
MQ.

my music collection

Post by MQ. »

I have recently started ripping all of my 700-800 audio cds to FLAC.

For this project I have worked out a new naming scheme which I plan to apply to my much larger mp3 collection as well. Thanks to MM's autosort feature this may not be such a hard job after all, although I am a bit reluctant to use that feature.

Like some of the previous posters I am a long time music collector and as such I am experienced at manually organizing my files. Directory Opus is a great help, especially their powerful rename function is awesome!

I am using a setup that differentiates between artist albums, various artists albums (compilations/samplers) and official soundtracks:

Album Artist\Album Artist - year - Album Title [comment]\##. Track Title.flac
OST\OST - year - Album Title [comment]\##. Track Artist - Track Title.flac
VA\VA - year - Album Title [comment]\##. Track Artist - Track Title.flac
Note that Official Sound Tracks are treated like Various Artist albums, but use OST instead of VA

in details:

a.
I know that doubling the Album Artist seems redundant, and I've considered not using it twice, but it allows me to easily archive (zip/rar) all files in an album folder while still retaining all essential information.
(I use a similar scheme for my mp3 player without doubling up the album artist, though)

b. comments
[comment] is an optional short code to identify the results of the ripping process. So far I've used
  • [@R] for Accurately Ripped (using EAC's AccurateRip feature),
    [NAR] for NOT Accurately Ripped (when all tracks fail, most likely indicating a different pressing),
    [NoDB] for albums that are not included in the accuraterip database yet (I have a partly obscure music collection), and
    [ISSUES] for difficult to rip albums that failed to produce 100% reliable backups.
Using comment fields like the ones above you can easily locate (find/search) troublesome albums that you may want to rescan at a later date, or with different hardware.

c. additonal files
I keep a matching cue/log file in the album folders, as well as any cover artwork (when available). Additionally I add a color coded icon to each folder to visually identify the rip quality and comes in handy when using a filemanager to browse/inspect the collection.

d. file names
As for my file naming conventions:
Unfortunately I am a bit anal about those. I started collecting mp3 before id3 tags were generally used. Back in those days it -seemed- a good idea to capitalize the first character of each word, *except* those in brackets. Unfortunately none of the automated taggers seem to support this scheme.

some examples:

Anne Clark\Anne Clark - 1986 - An Ordinary Life\12. Our Darkness (alternative mix).flac
Dead Can Dance\Dead Can Dance - 1993 - Into The Labyrinth [@R]\08. Tell Me About The Forest (you once called home).flac
Elijah's Mantle\Elijah's Mantle - 1993 - Angels Of Perversity\01. A La Gloire De L'Homme (prologue).flac
VA\Various - 1987 - Lonely Is An Eyesore [@R]\08. Clan Of Xymox - Muscoviet Musquito.flac
e. track numbers
Track numbering is a tad bit tricky too for albums with more than one disk.
For double cds I use a prefix 1 and 2, expanding the track number to three digits.
example: an album with 15 tracks on the first disk and 17 tracks on the second disk, track numbers would then become 101-115 and 201-217, and all files located in the same folder.

For collections with multiple disks this isn't very effective, since ID3 v1.x tags can only have tracknumbers up to 254 or 255 before it rolls over.
In that case I use a separate subfolder for each disk, which is far from ideal solution though.

Only recently I noticed that MediaMonkey has a tag to identify disk number. I will have to investigate that feature and check if it is compatible with my other music players.

the old scheme:
my huge mp3 collection uses a slightly different folder structure, similar to what other people described in this thread, with one more layer of folders, the 27 folders #, A..Z, and OST and VA in the root.

Album Artist\Album Artist - Album Title (INFO, year) RIPPER\##. Track Title.mp3
OST\OST - Album Title (INFO, year) RIPPER\##. Track Artist - Track Title.mp3
VA\VA - Album Title (INFO, year) RIPPER\##. Track Artist - Track Title.mp3
INFO can be stuff like MCD, 2CD, 3CD, Limited Edition, Special Edition, Live etc. For normal CD releases only (year) is used.

RIPPER is optional. It identifies the source of the mp3 album. Think MQrip or a release group like FWYH, AMOK, UBE, etc. etc.

conclusion:
Here's hoping someone may benefit from all of these considerations to figure out their own preferred way of organizing their collection.
Good luck.
gregmasciola

Post by gregmasciola »

When I rip my CD's, they go to a folder called "Ripped Music" where they are organized as such:
C:\My Music\Ripped Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<Title>

I then use MP3 Gain to adjust the volume of the whole album; I compare the sound to "Fortunate Son" by Creedence until the volume seems the same.

Next, I use Media Monkey's Auto Organize feature using this mask:
C:\My Music\<Genre>\<Artist>\<Title>
or if I have live albums by that artist, I use these masks:
C:\My Music\<Genre>\<Artist>\1-Album Tracks\<Title>
C:\My Music\<Genre>\<Artist>\2-Live Albums\<Year> - <Album>\<Track #> - <Title>

Right now, my genres are either Pop-Rock, or Country. For so many songs there are just too many options of what genre to put them in, so I just keep them in these 2.
3nos

Post by 3nos »

Well, i had managed my collection almost the same like someone here.

\Music\<Album Artist:1>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\## - Title.ext
Actually, before i know MM, i had used Zina, hope someone know. And above scheme work very well with Zina.