Not going to finish dutch translation

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

ui

Not going to finish dutch translation

Post by ui »

I'm very sorry to say this, but I will not be able to finish the Dutch translation. I have too much to do at this moment and I ran into some translation problems along the way that need some more doing (strings that don't fit in dialogues, where English strings do fit, etc.). I need more time, which I don't have.

So, if there's no one else who want to do the language upgrade this time, there won't be an update for the Dutch language pack.

For the next major version upgrade, I will be happy to do translations again.

Hans
Best regards,
Hans
rusty

Re: Not going to finish dutch translation

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Hans and I were both hoping that hans might be able yet to work on the 3.1 update, but it was not meant to be.

Is there anyone else who'd like to volunteer to complete the 3.1 translation in Dutch?

-Rusty
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I will do my best, sorry UI, you might have to revise next time :wink:
rusty

Post by rusty »

Lowlander,

That's great. Thx.

btw, since you're working on an existing translation, you might want to try using poedit's translation memory feature to ensure consistency of language/translation.

Also, to facilitate a review (e.g. by UI) you might want to tag any strings that you have doubts about as 'fuzzy'.

-Rusty
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is unfortunate, I saw the post once I was mostly done.

How do you use poedit's translation memory?

Anyway the translation would need to be reviewed at some point by someone as I don't use software in Dutch (never have used localized software) and thus translating is tricky. I'm just doing this so that a workable Dutch translation exists for 3.1 users until someone can do a better job than mine.

A question that did arise is if MediaMonkey prefers the use of formal or informal addressing of user (you). Unlike English many language have a formal/informal approach. I would think formal is better but the current Dutch translation is using informal. Going through the German and French ones it is formal, but the Spanish one is informal.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Lowlander,

Thanks for spending the time on this.

Even though it's too late, for the future, to use poedit's translation memory, see:
http://www.yetanothercommunitysystem.co ... ranslators

Re. the preferable form of language, I think it's up to the translator. General rule of thumb is to be as faithful to the original as possible, but if changes are needed for linguistic reasons....

-Rusty