Ran into trouble translating to Dutch

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

ui

Ran into trouble translating to Dutch

Post by ui »

There's a few things I cannot get right at the moment.

1. Redundancy: there's not a good translation for this word in Dutch. Well, actually there is: redundantie. But no one in Holland will understand it, because it's not used in daily life. We do use many other terms to cover the meaning of it, like: overtolligheid, overbodigheid, uitstoot, etc. Now, the question is: what does it mean exactly in MM, in the line: "%d tracks in your library have not been analyzed for redundancy. Would you like to analyze them now (this takes a fair amount of time)?" What is redundant refering to here? Duplicate songs in the library? What? I cannot find the term anywhere in MM right now, so I cannot check it.

2. Capitals: this one has raised some irritation before, but now again, so I decided to ask about it. Why are there capitals all over the place, where they don't belong? It sometimes makes it hard to find out wether I should translate using a capital or not. I don't like using capitals where they don't belong. Only Germans use capitals more often than we (Dutch and English speakers) do. Why does it say Album Art and not Album-art or Album art? sometimes, complete sentences are written with capitals: Give New Toolbar Name? Why do you guys doe that? It's plain wrong spelling! And it's confusing when making a good translation.

Thanks!
Hans
Best regards,
Hans
rusty

Re: Ran into trouble translating to Dutch

Post by rusty »

UI,
Now, the question is: what does it mean exactly in MM, in the line: "%d tracks in your library have not been analyzed for redundancy. Would you like to analyze them now (this takes a fair amount of time)?" What is redundant refering to here?
You're assumption is correct--it's referring to duplicate tracks in the library.
Why are there capitals all over the place, where they don't belong?
I think you make a good point. We've tried to use the following conventions, but I don't think we've been consistent enough:
-Capitalize track attributes: e.g. Genre
-Capitalize menu commands: e.g. Advanced Tag Management
-Capitalize some keywords with specific meaning in MM: e.g. Tracks, Album Art
Most other items do not need to be capitalized (other than the first word in a phrase)

I don't want to go through the strings right now, as this would force translators to do another round of translation, but I will enter a bug to review this top to bottom for the next release (see: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5227 ).

-Rusty