Question to all translators: need to translate boolean 'OR'?

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

rusty

Question to all translators: need to translate boolean 'OR'?

Post by rusty »

Hi,

In MM 3.1, one of the changes that came with the addition of full-text search is that it's now possible to search for e.g. 'Rock OR Alternative' (previous to 3.1 Rock;Alternative could be entered into the search bar).

In bug http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5104 , we discuss the need to allow users to use the localized version of 'OR', however, when I checked out google.de and google.fr, I found that Google only allows the use of 'OR' rather than translated equivalents.

Is there really a need to allow the user to use a localized version of 'OR' in the searchbar?

Thx for your feedback.

-Rusty
REIKA

Re: Question to all translators: need to translate boolean 'OR'?

Post by REIKA »

Hi,

In the case of Japanese language, I think that it should not be translated if only localized 'OR' is usable.

It is very complicated to do typing of the letter of a 1byte-space, 2bytes-Japanese characters, and a 1byte-space in succession.
The reason is because the change of the input mode is necessary during input twice at least.
I think that the Japanese most with a PC can understand 'OR' and 'AND'.

It will be necessary to allow even to separate a search word and a logical operator in a 2byte-space if translated into Japanese.
e.g. 
'Rock または Jazz'
'Rock または Jazz'
'Rock または Jazz'
'Rock または Jazz'
In Google, both 1byte-space and 2byte-space can be used as a separator of the keywords.
Last edited by REIKA on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gege

Post by gege »

Well, I think that in portuguese you could use any one of the forms OR (unlocalized) or OU (localized).
But, no matter which form is adopted, how will the user be informed about it?
rusty

Post by rusty »

English-speakers will be able to read the online help, but I suppose that we'll have to improve the tooltip for the Search bar to explain this to non-English speakers.

Thx for the feedback.

-Rusty