freedb socket errors

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

komarek

freedb socket errors

Post by komarek »

Is there a general problem with freedb lookups? A couple of weeks ago the freedb cd lookup function worked. Now I get socket errors and connection errors. Is there a setting gone awry or is the service just not supported anymore -- I am still using MM4.

Thanks!

--pk---
Lowlander

Re: freedb socket errors

Post by Lowlander »

What are your settings (Tools > Options > Network)? Freedb ceased to exist a while ago.
komarek

Post by komarek »

Here are the listings:

Freedb (HTTP)
mb.mediamonkey.com
username anonymous
no domain entry

Thanks for the help.

--pk---
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does this persist over time and for multiple discs?
komarek

Post by komarek »

Lowlander

I updated my "discogs tagger" extension to the latest version, and "freedb lookup" is working again.

Problem solved, I think.

Or it is just the weather or something intermittent. Thank you again for helping me.

--pk---
sallygr

Post by sallygr »

I've just started getting freedb errors today. I haven't changed my setup, and it was working fine up until today. I've rebooted my computer, restarted media monkey several times, and no joy. Any idea what has changed and how I can fix it? I have the current version of MediaMonkey Gold (4.4.31.1919) and the current version of the Discogs Tagger (5.8 ). I've been ripping a lot of CDs lately, and I only started getting this error this afternoon (and it's happening consistently since it started).

I also have settings of:
Freedb (HTTP)
mb.mediamonkey.com

Thanks!
komarek

Post by komarek »

And it started recurring for me too. I am getting "socket 1061" errors. The built in function "get album info from freedb" is a much smoother experience than the discogs extension because it is completely hands-off and works pre-ripping. I would really prefer that this method continue to work.

Did MM change something on its end recently in terms of how the MM4 program accessed metadata? Does this built-in function work on MM5?

What exactly should the network options be in the tools-options-network portion of the program setup?

Do any of the settings in this area work nowadays?

Thanks!

--pk---
komarek

Post by komarek »

And now it is working again.

--pk---
komarek

Post by komarek »

And now it's not working again.

Socket 1061 errors are refusals by the server. Apparently something is off with whatever server this MM function is using to deliver metadata to the cd ripping process.

--pk---
sallygr

Post by sallygr »

And now freedb is working again. I don't get it. I haven't even exited the program. And the CDs that it wasn't recognizing are far more common than the last 2 that I inserted.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The team is aware of intermittent connection issues. At this point there is no solution for this yet. This means that when it fails you'll need to try again later.
MasterJack

Post by MasterJack »

I'm having the same problem today, but it also occurs when I change my web lookup option to musicbrainz. First, I was getting socket error 10061 messages; after changing my lookup option from freedb to musicbrainz, I'm getting the error message indicating that the site could not be found. I'm using MM4 also, on a Windows 10 PC.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As a temp workaround you can try to replace "mb.mediamonkey.com" with "gnudb.gnudb.org"
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Last night I ripped 13 CD's and the look up information/tags were all correct, but the rip verification didn't find any of the CD's in the database. I've only encountered that on small number of the 100's of CD's I've ripped in MMW, this time it was all 13. I haven't changed any of the related settings for this and it worked last time I used it a month or so ago.

Is that issue related or is it something else?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester