MediaMonkey seems to change/chop/destroy mp3 files?

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Gorian

MediaMonkey seems to change/chop/destroy mp3 files?

Post by Gorian »

On Quick search I could not find this problem reported yet. Previously working complete mp3 files seem to get corrupted my MediaMonkey. Maybe during playback (I have Crossfading on) or updating metadata (Rating, Artist, Title naming - I don^t no)? The corruption looks like this the file is either a mix of two unrelated mp3 (40 sec of one mp3 file attached to the rest of another) or one 3 min song getting chopped up and is only 20 sec long. I only use MM4 in portable mode on a Windos10 machine from an SSD. Once I noticed that I checked the affected files with another player though (MediPlayer Classic and VLC) just to check that this coppruption is not just happening in MM4 while the actual files are ok. They are not: the mp3 files in question appear chopped up/altered in those other players also. This observation/bug makes me very, very nervous: This can destroy my mp3 file master library. I am happy to send affected mp3 files or MM4 logs if this helps. I am curious if anyone else has encountered this problem and if someone already has a suggestion what might be going on. I used a version of stable version of MM4 I downloaded in early 2019 (I would have to research whic one exactly but recently updated to 4.1.30.1914 because I though this error might go
But the problem seems to persist ( I only discover this corruption occasionally when I play back some playlist. All affected mp3 are "new" though from Albums I have ripped either with MM4 (for Music CDs I bought) or fre:ac for downloaded Youtube Videos (conversion of m4a-->mp3). All those mp3 files worked at some point before there must have something happened while playing back with MM4 (or updating Metadata?) and suddenly I get this weird files. PLEASE HELP+ Corrupting my mp3 files is a super-bad thing! Let me know what more info I should provide!
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey seems to change/chop/destroy mp3 files?

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying that 4.1.30 is still creating these files, or were these all create by an older version of MediaMonkey?
Gorian

Post by Gorian »

Honestly, I am not sure. The older MM4 version must have been from late 2019 or early 2020, I would really have to do research if I can find the installer I downloaded in the past. The bug I describe occured with this version maybe 2 month ago. And since this is sporadically I thought I might have some playback glitches which in my experience sometime happen (crossfading from one song to the other you hear a jump, or a small skip in a playing song when I change the star-rating. But then I discovered that actually the mp3s are being chopped up. I thought maybe this is just one or two bad encoded files. But this continues ( I think I might have 10 songs or so which are affected. Upon troubleshooting very recnetly MM4 made a pop up saying update check recommended updating to a newer version. which I did. This is the one I am running now (still portable mode) I thought maybe a such a clean install will fix whaterver problem I was facing. Now some 2-3 days using this version I find 3 other songs being altered/chopped. I cannot say if this happened with the old install and I simply did not notice or if the current install did this. I have screenshots of the now playing list from one install and the other of the same list of songs. And you can seee that one list shows specific songs with the right running time and the other shows the same songs with mearly 20-30 seconds....Short answer: I don^t reall know. Short question, since you are asking: are previous/recent versions of MM4 known to exhibit such a behavior?? I am simply afraid to use MM4 on my music as to not corrupt more files. But I love MM (I have a gold license) the Application has served me well for over 7years!!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If I recall there was a bug in a very specific scenario in an version from a while ago, but nothing in recent releases.
Gorian

Post by Gorian »

Ok, done my research since I am mirroring my HD with my mp3s AND the portable MM4 occasional. Started the MM4 portable from the HD copy and the version I used up until a week or two ago is: 4.1.21.1875. Again my System Windows 10, 32Bit, MM4 with Goldkey as portable installation on a 2GB SSD drive. If anyone can confirm that the specific version of MM4 is known to show such misbehavior and that I am now save using 4.1.30.1914 I shall be relieved. If not I am really afraid continuing using MM4 until someone tells me the root cause of this problem. Anyone else who had this problem and can confirm it is only with this older MM version? Or is there already a thread available describing this odd (and very bad) behavior?
@Lowlander: Thanks for your help and replies so far - much appreciated!
Until I get confirmation I thought about monitoring the problem by from now on manually selecting the music I like to listen to for the next weeks with the Windows file explorer, copying (not moving!) it to a folder and only listen to copies of my music. So if MM4 chops up the files I still have my originals. And if I feel confident that this behavior does not occur anymore I shall be happy....But this is cumbersome and not what MM4 is about for me....But anyway: Once in a while everyone has go through some troubleshooting mud. Again, any help or clarification or questions on how I can explain the bug or my setup better is appreciated! Cheers, G.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
The best way would be to open support ticket and send us DL link to two files? eg. original and corrupted after tagging. That would give us info on what happened to file and if bug is not already fixed/found/classified ill give us means to track and fix it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts