Cannot add files with long paths to Media Monkey

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

achan1058

Cannot add files with long paths to Media Monkey

Post by achan1058 »

Files with relatively long names/paths (160 chars filename, 248 total chars file path) could not be added to MediaMonkey, even though existing files in the system can be played just fine, and files can be moved/renamed to these paths using Auto-Organize Files. i.e. I can (and I did) shorten the filename, add the file to MediaMonkey, then restore it to its original length using the Auto-Organize function. Additionally, the artwork on these files has disappeared from the preview, but not on the file itself on File Explorer. This can be reproduced by both dragging + dropping the file into "Entire Library" and by using the "Add/Rescan files to the Library..." menu.

Currently running:
Windows 10, Hard drive on D:/
Version 4.1.29.1910 (Portable Mode) Gold
The files in question are Apple Lossless

Anecdotal evidence: I don't recall seeing this before (in older versions), or I would have used shorter file names in Auto-Organize.
Lowlander

Re: Cannot add files with long paths to Media Monkey

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, that's the limit, 248 characters. You'll need to shorten the full Path or switch to MediaMonkey 5: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d as it does support longer Paths.
achan1058

Post by achan1058 »

But I am under the limit, as it is exactly 248 characters. I set up my original Auto-Organize Files script this way since V3, and it used to work just fine. Furthermore, Auto-Organize Files can rename to files to those paths, I just not add it as a new file, and the Album Art preview got messed up.

I would prefer not to have to redo the script and try to rename 30000 files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What if it is 247 for the full Path (includes drive and extension), does it then work, but not with 248 for full Path?
achan1058

Post by achan1058 »

It works at 247. Full path (at 248 chars) is:

D:\Dropbox\MediaMonkey\Music\Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich\Tchaikovsky- Masterworks Edition\14-03 Tchaikovsky- Symphony No. 6 in b, Op. 74 'Pathétique' - 1. Adagio -- Allegro non troppo -- Andante -- Moderato mosso -- Andante -- Moderato assai -- A.m4a

I have also found a small number of other files between 248 and 255 chars that historically have worked (and accepted by Windows 7 when I first added them and 10 when I upgraded), but isn't working now.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In this case as MM4 will receive little development I suggest:

1) Make sure any new files you still need to scan are 247 characters max.
2) Any existing files you could Auto-Organize Files (it would only modify those that are 248+ characters) if you want to follow the same standard

or

3) Update to MediaMonkey 5 as it doesn't have this limit.
achan1058

Post by achan1058 »

I rather not get MM5 until it is out of Beta, given that I have MM4 gold. In the end, I decided to remove "MediaMonkey" from my music library path (i.e. move everything up one folder). Renaming 30k file is a pain, but less painful than doing changes that would further mangle file names.
sschuerger

Post by sschuerger »

achan1058 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:15 pm D:\Dropbox\MediaMonkey\Music\Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich\Tchaikovsky- Masterworks Edition\14-03 Tchaikovsky- Symphony No. 6 in b, Op. 74 'Pathétique' - 1. Adagio -- Allegro non troppo -- Andante -- Moderato mosso -- Andante -- Moderato assai -- A.m4a
You can try to shorten the part significantly using NTFS soft links (use in admin cmd.exe):
mklink /D c:\MM D:\Dropbox\MediaMonkey\Music\

Now you can use C:\MM as your MediaMonkey music base directory, pointing to D:\Dropbox\MediaMonkey\Music\ .

Enjoy!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Another way to do it and better understand is to use apps like http://www.pearlmagik.com/winbolic/Winb ... %201.0.zip

WARNING!!! App is very powerful please use it on your own risk.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts