Search is returning incorrect extra results sometimes

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

JoePublic

Search is returning incorrect extra results sometimes

Post by JoePublic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 am

Here's an odd thing I found when using the Search function.

I want to find all my songs with the word "Tom" in the title. I set my Search options to just look in the Title, and type "Tom" (including the quotes) in the Search box. Search dutifully finds "Tom Dooley", "Tom's Diner", "Major Tom (Coming Home)", etc. So far, so good.

Here's what's odd: It also finds a song in my library that has the title "Big Joe and Phantom 309". Why would it do that? It correctly doesn't find Derek & the Dominos' "Bell Bottom Blues" or "Rock Bottom" by Kiss or any other titles that have a word ending in "tom". I'm seeing the same behavior in MM 3.2.5 and MM 4.0.2.

If I change the search to look for "ntom" (including the quotes), MM doesn't return any results. You'd think if "Big Joe and Phantom 309" came up with "tom" it would also come up with "ntom", but it doesn't (which is good, but somewhat inconsistent).

The artist for "Big Joe and Phantom 309" happens to be Tom Waits. I have lots of Tom Waits, and this search doesn't pull up any other Tom Waits songs. But just to be sure, I changed the song's artist to Toom Waits. The "tom" search still finds "Big Joe and Phantom 309".

I tried to find other searches that exhibit the same problem. Thinking maybe the digit after "Phantom" has something to do with it, I searched for "ion" (with quotes). It correctly found "Ion" by Apocalyptica and correctly did not find "Revolution 1" or "Revolution 9" by the Beatles. I typed in "usual" and it correctly did not find any titles having the word "unusual", of which I have some in my library.

Then I thought, what happens if I drop a letter and search for "om" (with quotes)? Odd result here: It didn't find "Big Joe and Phantom 309", but it did find 2 tracks I have with the titles "Den gamla skogen & Tom Bombadil" and "Drommar i lakandets hus" by Bo Hansson, along with other tracks that contain the word "om" as a separate word. (It did find the "Den gamla skogen & Tom Bombadil" track in the "tom" search, too.) If I search for "om" (WITHOUT the quotes), the 2 Bo Hansson tracks are not in the result set.

I don't know what's up with this behavior. It seems like a bug. And now I also wonder, if Search sometimes returns extra results, will it ever fail to return an item that should be in the results? That would really not be good.

Lowlander

Re: Search is returning incorrect extra results sometimes

Post by Lowlander » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 am

I think "tom" is meant to find phantom: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5186
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

JoePublic

Re: Search is returning incorrect extra results sometimes

Post by JoePublic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm

I read the Mantis entry you referred to, Lowlander, plus all the referenced forum postings and other Mantis bug entries. I don't see where any of them say that the behavior I am reporting is expected, e.g., that "tom" (with quotes) should find "phantom". And I really don't see why it should find "phantom" but not "bottom". That makes no sense to me.

I did some more experimenting. I still have my Search options set so that only Title is checked. If I Quick Search for "tom" (with quotes) I still get "Big Joe and Phantom 809" by Tom Waits. Now, I also notice I get "Say You'll Stay until Tomorrow" by Tom Jones. I probably had this track yesterday, too, but didn't notice it then. However, if my Quick search is for title:"tom" , neither "Big Joe and Phantom 809" nor "Say You'll Stay until Tomorrow" appear in the new results. Shouldn't "tom" and title:"tom" produce identical results when I only have Title checked in my Search options?

Also, it can't be coincidence that both of the problem tracks have an artist by the name of Tom. To check this, I changed the artist first names to Toom for both songs. Unlike yesterday, this time I closed and reopened MM, thinking that might affect the results. Now, searching for "tom" with quotes no longer brings up the Toom Jones song, but it still does bring up the Toom Waits song. Checking further, I found that the PATH of "Big Joe and Phantom 809" includes the word Tom (the full path is G:\MuDl\HBR\Tom Waits bo 339\17-Big Joe And Phantom 309.mp3). However, the full path of "Say You'll Stay until Tomorrow" does NOT include the word Tom. (It is G:\Rips\Various\Hard to Find 45s on CD Pop & Country Classics\19. Say You'll Stay until Tomorrow.mp3)

Hypothesis: If Search options only have one field checked (such as Title), if you do an exact search (i.e., with quotes), you will get a hit if another field such as Artist, Path, or Album (and possibly other fields, too?) if one of THOSE fields contains an exact match AND if the searched string is present in the Title. [PS- If true, this has to be a bug.] However, if you include the field being searched as a modifier (as in title:"tom"), it truly will search only on the desired field.

To test this out, I searched for "john". Sure enough, the results included "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)" and "Johnny B. Goode" both by Elton John, "Johnny Hart" by John Cougar Mellencamp, "Johnny's Tune" by Mason Proffit - however the Composer here is "John Talbot; Terry Talbot" - so Composer has a bearing on this situation as well.

It's not a problem with Title alone. I unchecked Title and did check Artist in my Search options. I exited and reopened MM. A search for "jim" wrongly gives a result for an artist with the name Jimmy Helms where the filename is 15 - Jim.mp3 (and obviously the path includes the filename).

I'm assuming I could replicate the problem using other fields, but I think I've made the case. I don't see how this can be considered a feature. I think this is a bug. Maybe kind of a minor bug, especially because there is a workaround (use the fieldname:"search string" syntax). But it's a bug nonetheless. Hopefully this can be added to Mantis and prioritized appropriately. Thanks!