Cover_2 Rename Issue

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

rhaynes

Cover_2 Rename Issue

Post by rhaynes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:17 am

I have MM4 set up to add a cover artwork file to both the album folder and the tag and name the file cover.jpg. When I add a artwork file which is called cover.jpg that already exists in the album folder, MM4 creates a copy called cover_2.jpg in that same folder. MM3 did not do that which I liked and I strongly believe that was correct.

The renaming makes sense if you are copying the cover.jpg from a different location but even then I would want a dialog box to allow me to chose between overwriting or selecting a new name.

Yes, for I could change the setting to not copy to the folder if I'm adding cover.jpg which is already in the folder but that is a pain. I never had to think about it with MM3. This seems like a step backwards.

I hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks for listening,
Ray

Gyroscope

Re: Cover_2 Rename Issue

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 am

+1 on this. If I have a file called folder.jpg already in an album's directory, and try to add as art to a track or album that has no album art set, it gets copied and renamed to folder_1.jpg or whatever. MM3 used to be smart enough to work out that I didn't have any art yet, and to use the file in situ. MM4 seems to think that it's an additional file. So now I have to go in and move the file elsewhere, and then add it. Bit of a pain really.

Cheers,

/g

TIII

Post by TIII » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:03 pm

All MM4 needs to do to fix this...Simply give us the option to "overwrite"; not rename and add files !!! - that was how MM3 worked and we didn't have this problem.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Art issues will be reviewed for the next version (4.1).

I personally don't know why this was changed from MediaMonkey 3 to 4 as to me it all seemed to work well.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

KEP

Post by KEP » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Wish I'd seen this before posting the same issue again. Totally agree, this is a regression. Software should not be asking how to name a file, and then ignoring the user's response and making up a different name.

The real shame here is, someone actually felt that was appropriate behavior and went to some trouble to program it. WTH?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:13 pm

MediaMonkey 3's Art system worked well, but several changes were made for MediaMonkey 4 and I don't know why either. Luckily as an embedder I'm not affected.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

PatMcQ

Post by PatMcQ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:55 pm

I am updating existing album art to higher resolution images, a little at a time. I save to both the tag and the file, then delete the link inside the tracks Properties (which would be nice if there was an option to not automatically add a link).

At some point later, I must run a Windows search for _2.jpg, _3.jpg, etc. to find the folders that were involved. Then I have to go into each folder, delete the old files and rename the new file to the desired name. I store my tracks/art by artist only, not by album, so I don't care about and system related art such as folder.jpg. I could leave the duplicates there but I like a lean/clean set of files and on my Home Theatre PC, I specify the parent folder for use by the Window slide show screensaver.

Thanks. MM is good stuff.