Can I get keyboard to behave the way it used to?[#6616]

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

Muad'Dib

Can I get keyboard to behave the way it used to?[#6616]

Post by Muad'Dib » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:45 pm

I finally just upgraded from v2.55.996 to v3.2.2.1300 (yes I know, where have I been?). And one of the things that I can't seem to get to work right is allowing my keyboard to control playback like it did in v2.55. Specifically, with the NumLock off the keys on my numeric behaved like this:

Code: Select all

Actual   Meaning         
Key      w/NumLock
Pressed  Off        MM Function
======================================
0        Insert     Playback/Pause
1        End        Back 5 seconds
2        Down       Lower Volume
3        PgDn       Forward 5 seconds
7        Home       Previous Track
8        Up         Increase Volume
9        PgUp       Next Track
Now with the new version, the numeric keypad does not control playback (in fact, the 0 key pulls up the Add/Rescan folders).

When I try to change the functions using the Options|Hotkeys, the key I want (for example the 0 key) displays properly as "Num 0", but then when I click Apply, it changes to "HID Key (ID: 11351)" And it doesn't control the playback (in fact, the playback intermittently pauses and starts on its own without my being able to control it).

Is there a way to force it to accept the Num 0 key as a Play/Pause (and then I can figure out how to do the same for the other keys)? I don't even care if the NumLock needs to be turned off (I only did it because it was needed for v2.55).

Yes, I'm using a wireless keyboard with media keys, but I don't need or want to use they special functions keys (and I didn't have these problems with MM v2.55). In fact, one of the nice things was that I could switch between several different keyboards (both wired and wireless), and with MM v2.55, they all behaved identically, with no special drivers or settings needed.

While it would be nice for these keys to work regardless of focus, that isn't so important (I've lived for years without it on the previous version of MM, so I'm willing to continue doing so).

This is an important enough issue, that if I can't get it to work, I'm probably going to revert back to my previous version (which I'm worried about how my library will be affected).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
"On the web, no one knows you're using a monkey!"

Eyal

Re: Can I get keyboard to behave the way it used to?

Post by Eyal » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:14 pm

Muad'Dib wrote:When I try to change the functions using the Options|Hotkeys, the key I want (for example the 0 key) displays properly as "Num 0", but then when I click Apply, it changes to "HID Key (ID: 11351)" And it doesn't control the playback (in fact, the playback intermittently pauses and starts on its own without my being able to control it).
Hi,
If my memory serves well, these numpad play control keys were only working when NumLock was ON.
Anyway, I just tried to reprogram the 0 numpad key as you did, and it works well. I did both with NumLock ON and OFF and it works fine in both cases.

I don't know what this "HID Key (ID: 11351)" means, but it should give you a clue where to look...

:~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:58 pm

The HID thing is something that I have experienced as well with a microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard, haven't figured out how to prevent it but if you click add hotkey fast enough after making the new hotkey, it works.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Peke

Post by Peke » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 pm

HID: ????? is short of Human Input Device and ?????? is extended code that MM receives from Keyboard. Dual Keys (keys that have two+ functions) on USB keyboards/remotes/touchpads/... send additional RAW code to Windows which using driver decrypt into standard code. That way you can use two keyboards and assign INS key on each on to do different function in MM.

To cut things Short Eyal is right that it should work after assignment. But just in case I created http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6616 for investigation.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:28 pm

nohitter151 wrote:The HID thing is something that I have experienced as well with a microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard, haven't figured out how to prevent it but if you click add hotkey fast enough after making the new hotkey, it works.
Not sure what you meant by "click add hotkey", but I tried quickly typing the same key multiple times (for example Num 0 Num 0 Num 0 Num 0) with one hand, and then clicking "Apply" with the other hand. For some reason, this stored the "Num 0" key as the Hotkey (instead of its HID equivalent). So thanks nohitter, even if that's not what you meant!

And Peke, thanks for putting this on the 'to be investigated' list. My suggestion would be simply allow a brute force way to store the right keystroke (editing a file with either the keystroke numeric value or the text equivalent ("Num 0") would be fine by me) - just some way to simply override the HID keyboard code that doesn't involve above-average hand-eye coordination! :)
"On the web, no one knows you're using a monkey!"

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Muad'Dib wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:The HID thing is something that I have experienced as well with a microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard, haven't figured out how to prevent it but if you click add hotkey fast enough after making the new hotkey, it works.
Not sure what you meant by "click add hotkey", but I tried quickly typing the same key multiple times (for example Num 0 Num 0 Num 0 Num 0) with one hand, and then clicking "Apply" with the other hand. For some reason, this stored the "Num 0" key as the Hotkey (instead of its HID equivalent). So thanks nohitter, even if that's not what you meant!)
Yes, that's what I meant. You just have to be quick to hit the apply button after you press the key, otherwise the HID code pops in.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Eyal

Re: Can I get keyboard to behave the way it used to?[#6616]

Post by Eyal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Just found this in the knowledgebase: How to Control Playback Using the Numeric Keypad

So by changing this setting (in MediaMonkey.ini) to either 2 or 3
  • [Options]
    PlaybackControl=x
you will get the same numpad play control keys as in MM 2.5.

Easy. I didn't tried it, but I gess you must first delete all related personalized shortcut keys you defined earlier.

Eyal :~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].