Switching from external to internal player fails [#11696]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Andre Gosselin

Switching from external to internal player fails [#11696]

Post by Andre Gosselin »

After having selected a UPNP external player with "Choose Player" in MM 4.1.0-1685, the sound is correctly heard on the device. However, switching back to "Internal Player" produces no sound at all. Stopping and restarting the player does not work. Restarting MM does not solve the problem either. The *only* way I found to recover the sound on the internal player is to choose a second external player (*different* from the one initially selected), then select "Internal Player" again with "Choose Player". Sound is then heard on the internal player. I was lucky enough to have 2 different external players at hand.

This problem looks a lot like the one documented here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10249, which was supposedly fixed in build 1615.

Regards
Ludek

Re: Switching from external to internal player fails

Post by Ludek »

Whatever I tried I have not been able to reproduce the issue.
Couldn't it be a test error? Maybe there was a silent on the beggining of the tested song?
Anyone else experiencing this?

Hopefully debug log (item 4b here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341 ) could show something, could you generate the debug log?
Andre Gosselin

Post by Andre Gosselin »

My mistake (???) I feel a bit stupid now, realizing that the problem seems related to the external player used, in my case a SimAudio Mind 180D. This renderer does not allow volume control through UPnP (only through their proprietary app), so volume must be adjusted manually on the amp. The "problem" then goes like this. MM is started with local player selected and the volume level set to 100%. After choosing the Mind renderer as the external player, the volume level slider is reset to some preset (default?) value on the player, which happened to be 0% in my case. When switching back to the local renderer, the volume level remains at 0% instead of being reset to its previous value, so nothing is heard! I should have kept a more careful eye on the volume slider, but to my defense, the slider is really small and easy to miss.

It seems natural to expect the volume level to be reset on the local player to what it was before the switch to the external player, but this seems not to be the case. I tested with another external renderer (Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6), and I could verify that the volume level set on this device once selected "sticks" to it whenever it is selected. It seems that MM 4.1 handles the volume level as a "per device" property, except for the local renderer which from my tests appears to "inherit" the volume level of the previously selected device.

Regards
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Good catch, you seem to be absolutely right, tracked the issue as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11696