MMW 1683 will not install with service running [#14218]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

bkenobi69

MMW 1683 will not install with service running [#14218]

Post by bkenobi69 »

I had MMW 1681 installed and the service enabled. I went to install 1683 just now and was given an error that MMW could not install because it could not replace MediaMonkey.exe. I cancelled the install, launched MMW, uninstalled the service, closed MMW, and tried the install of 1683 again. This worked as expected.

MMW 1683 will not install with the service running for whatever reason. I could have probably gone through the services and stopped it there or simply killed the process in the task manager, but I did not use that approach.
bkenobi69

Re: [BUG] MMW 1683 will not install with service running

Post by bkenobi69 »

After installation of MMW 1683, I tried to turn the service back on. I was greeted with the following error:
Error

[SC] StartService: OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.
In my setup, I do not have a user password, so the service has been problematic in the past. In recent updates, I was not having problems with the service. Perhaps there is an issue that needs to be looked into.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I just checked the services, and it appears that the service is installed correctly. When MMW is open, the service is stopped. When I closed MMW, the service switches on. When I launch MMW again, the service is stopped. It appears the service is functioning as expected but the error is raised on service installation.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

Great, thanks!
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

I have a related problem. I too was not able to install 1683 until I uninstalled the service, but even that was not enough, and I had to reboot before the 1683 installation was able to delete MediaMonkey.exe.

When installing 1683, I was not asked about installing the service at any point (I thought I had been when installing 1681). So I went into Options | Media Sharing, and installed it from there. It asked for my password, which I entered. The installation then completed.

Afterward, looking at the Service listing, it showed ".\dmcr" (my username) under "Log On As", and the service did not toggle on and off as I started and stopped MM. So I tried to start the service manually from the Services window, and got the following error:

Windows could not start the MediaMonkeyService on Local Computer.
Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Any suggestions?

Dennis
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

the easy one ... i don't think MMW has ever asked to install the service on initial install (though didn't do an initial install of 1681).

For the install problems .. i would wait until the next release. Looks like fixes are on the way .. yeah!
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

dmcritchie wrote:I have a related problem. I too was not able to install 1683 until I uninstalled the service, but even that was not enough, and I had to reboot before the 1683 installation was able to delete MediaMonkey.exe.
This sounds like if the MediaMonkey.exe couldn't be closed while stopping the service for some reason, because MM stops the service once MM install is initiated. If it happens again then debug log (item 4b here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341 ) could show why, but when MM runs as service then you need enable "Global Win32" in the Capture menu of DbgView and run DbgView as admin.
dmcritchie wrote: Windows could not start the MediaMonkeyService on Local Computer.
Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.
Strange, because if there is an log-on failure then MM reports it during service install: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11368
Are you sure you typed your password correctly? Try uninstall the service, install it and type the password again.
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Thanks for the tips. Re the service not starting, you are right that the service probably did not install with the correct password for some reason. I uninstalled it and re-installed it, and after typing in my password, I saw a pop-up after about 5 seconds to the effect that StartService received an error: "access is denied".

The problem is that I get this error with both an invalid and a valid password. I have exited from MM, restartarted it and tried to reinstall the service several times, but it never accepts my password as being valid.

Could MM be filtering the password in some way? I have upper/lower case characters, digits, and a special character in my password.

Dennis
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Also, I just tried to install 1685, and encountered the same problem. Interestingly enough, I get a similar error when the installer tries to replace MediaMoneky.exe as when I was trying to install the service earlier:

DeleteFile failed; code 5.
Access is denied.

(In the install service failure case, I get:
[SC] StartService: OpenService FAILED 5:
Access is denied. )

I followed your suggestion and started Dbgview.exe as admin and enabled "Capture Global Win32". But when I then tried to install 1685, no information was logged in the Dbgview window at any point, including at the time of the DeleteFile failure. Could it be because I was running the installer and not MM itself?

Dennis
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Rebooted and successfully installed 1685. It has the same problem getting the service to start.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, was MM asking for elevation (UAC dialog) when installing the service? I mean this dialog: http://reformedmusings.files.wordpress. ... dialog.jpg
Did you click [Yes] ?

If not, have you installed portable or standard version of MM? If you install portable then it could be: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=153
So be sure you installed the standard version. (I opened new issue to cover this: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11678 )
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Yes, the UAC dialog is displayed after I type in my password, and I then click Yes, and 5 seconds later get the StartService error.

And I have the standard (not portable) version of MM 1685 installed.

I noticed that the "Log On As" column in the Services window lists me as ".\dmcr" rather than simply "dmcr" or "MSHOME\dmcr" (where MSHOME is my workgroup name) or "dmcr-home\dmcr" (where dmcr-home is my computer name). I've not seen this syntax used before. If the password I type in is not being filtered in any way, then perhaps it is the user name (".\dmcr") that is the problem.

Or should the service's "Log On As" be "Local System", the same as other vendors' services that get installed?

Dennis
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

No, the service account should be your user name ".\dmcr" so that your MM settings is used (Users/dmcr/AppData/Roaming/MediaMonkey/...).

Have you been successful to change anything on the "Log on as" page?
But I don't think that user/passwrord is the problem, because the error would be "log on failure" when starting the service, but you wrote that it is "access denied" in your case, which is strange, because you are logged as "dmcr" so I don't see a reason for the "access denied".

BTW: if you start MediaMonkeyService manually via the "Services" window, does it also write "access denied" or it is issues only when MM starts the service?
If yes, it could be caused by Group Policies defined in your domain, similar problem had user here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1854339
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

> BTW: if you start MediaMonkeyService manually via the "Services" window, does it also write "access denied" or it is issues only when MM starts the service?

I just now tried that, and I got a different error (unfortunately, I did not write it down and now cannot reproduce). I then tried to uninstall the service and was unable to delete it. I had to reboot. But now that I've rebooted, I get the usual StartService error when I try to install the service. But when I exit MM, the service starts as expected. It then toggles off and on whenever the MM client is started or stopped. The service, when running, is functional and can be accessed by various uPnP clients around the house. So the only anomaly I am experiencing right now is the StartService error.

It is possible that some of the other problems I have reported might be due to the MediaMonkeyRemote server (by Erlend Dahl) that was running some of the time on my PC, and which I now see is unable to work with the service and also sometimes seems to prevent the service from functioning properly. (On the other hand, the MMR server mostly seems to work OK with the MM client itself).

Dennis