1248 Incremental auto-sync corrupts ZEN [#5833]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

Re: 1248 Incremental auto-sync corrupts ZEN [#5833]

Post by chrisjj »

I've never found a difference in the results of using the short cable supplied v. a long cable.
Chris
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

It's been about four months since anyone wrote in the thread. Have the issues with the Zen been resolved for all of you? I've had a regular Zen for about two years, about the same time as MM, and once I learned the auto sync process I haven't had any problems syncing. Am I one of the blessed ones?

I'm only asking because the Creative website is offering Zen 16g for $79.99 (order fulfilled by Amazon) and I want to get a back up. And Amazon is offering some good deals on the X-Fi and MX, but I haven't researched them yet.

Thanks for any update.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

rrfpacker wrote:Have the issues with the Zen been resolved for all of you?
At my last attempt, no. That was some versions ago. I've seen no changelog fix since then.
rrfpacker wrote:I've had a regular Zen for about two years, about the same time as MM, and once I learned the auto sync process I haven't had any problems syncing. Am I one of the blessed ones?
Your success may be due to using a fewer sync options. Perhaps no playlists.
rrfpacker wrote:And Amazon is offering some good deals on the X-Fi and MX, but I haven't researched them yet.
Note : http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=135
Chris
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

chrisjj,

This will either help or not. I have a 32g Zen, I've been auto-syncing for the last year or so, syncing lots of items for the last 6 months. My last sync was yesterday and involved 71 playlists along with 37 complete albums for a total of 5282 tracks.

I must be blessed.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks.

What's the firmware version?

Are you doing incremental sync i.e. adding files to exsiting? Or formatting first each time?
Chris
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Version 1.21.01...I have no desire for updating as I don't want to screw anything up and my unit works fine. I've only seen one update and that was for FM, which I don't use.

My Zen is my main player, it is 32g and my intention is to not sync very often. A lot of my playlists are my favorite songs of the 60's and 70's, by year, along with favorites from groups who are no longer putting out music, ie Grassroots, Creedence, Bread, Pat Benatar, Styx, etc. I've put in a lot of time getting the tags correct, therefore, I don't sync often, and don't want to. I sync about once every couple of months as I fine tune my library or find a song I've been missing.

I auto-sync based on how I've configured the Zen, which as I said is 71 playlists (today! Nyn, if you read this you may recall PMs we had concerning playlists and I said I only wanted 5 or 6. You laughed. :lol: ), all the Beatles Mono and Stereo remasters, along with some albums that are special. I connect the zen and auto sync.

When I first received the Zen, it had some problems syncing, and somethimes I had to go thru Windows Explorer, wipe out all the music, and start empty. I haven't had to do that for the last few syncs.

Looks like the Zen MX is a pain in the rear, I may just go with another Sansa or a refurbished older Zen.

I don't know if this helps.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

rrfpacker wrote:Version 1.21.01
Thanks. The failures here are on 1.21.01e and 1.21.03e. I did not record the factory shipped version, which also failed.
rrfpacker wrote:When I first received the Zen, it had some problems syncing, and somethimes I had to go thru Windows Explorer, wipe out all the music, and start empty. I haven't had to do that for the last few syncs.
OK, so your incremental syncs are OK.

My tracks are all WMAs. Yours?
rrfpacker wrote:Looks like the Zen MX is a pain in the rear
The forthcoming MM update for 8.3 named should fix it, and I am hopeful that being MSC not MTP it will be free from the corruption problem.
Chris
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

All my tracks are mp3. Will cross fingers that MM4 works if I decide on the MX.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Chris
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

It's been ages since I synced the Zen. I bought two 258g iPod touches for all my music travel needs. I use MM or an iPod classic for home.
khalnayak11a

Post by khalnayak11a »

The workaround that Chris suggests is NOT something I want to do, at this point I am debating if I want to live with the corruption or reformat every weekend. But I have videos and photos that I do not want to reload each time I re-format, not to mention having to keep putting my settings back.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

khalnayak11a wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:29 pmI am debating if I want to live with the corruption
On which MM version have you found this corruption.
khalnayak11a wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:29 pmBut I have videos and photos that I do not want to reload each time I re-format, not to mention having to keep putting my settings back.
The workaround could also consume the life of the device memory, IIUC.
Chris