MM on external HD doesn't recognize INI

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

justin_f

MM on external HD doesn't recognize INI

Post by justin_f »

Running MM 3.1.0.1224, but the issue was also present in 1223.
Home PC is running Vista Home Premium SP1
Work PC is running XP Professional SP2

I keep all my music and Mediamonkey on an external hard drive so that I can bring it to work with me. Prior to the past couple betas, I had no issues at all doing this. I have the ini setup so that the DB, temp folders, previews, virtual cd's, etc. are stored on J:\, so MediaMonkey doesn't need the C:\ drive for anything necessary for proper function. Now, however, when I bring MM to work and launch it, a new directory is created in C:\Documents and Settings\jfernandez\Local Settings\Application Data, a new ini file is created, and the DB from my J:\ drive is copied into this directory. MediaMonkey thinks that it is being started for the first time, so I get the "Welcome to MediaMonkey" screen and the prompt to scan my drives. For some reason, it isn't recognizing that the ini file is in the install directory, so it's going out and creating one in the default location.
PetrCBR

Re: MM on external HD doesn't recognize INI

Post by PetrCBR »

I've just tried that and have no problem. MediaMonkey.ini file _must_ be in same folder as MediaMonkey.exe. If you have this file in correct place, check out whether you have correctly set DBName value in this INI file (should point to your database).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

It's definitely in the same folder, and I know that my DBName is pointed correctly. It works when I'm at home, and I've checked to verify it's not recreating the INI or DB elsewhere on my home system. Several versions ago I'd have this problem intermittently, but deleting the Application Data\Mediamonkey folder and then restarting would fix it. Now it happens every time.

I'll try to generate a debug log and send it to support.

Justin
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

When MM is running, primary folder for INI and database file is in AppData. Try to delete INI/DB (you're not using) from AppData and run MM. Also you can use /INIFILE command line parameter.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

PetrCBR wrote:When MM is running, primary folder for INI and database file is in AppData. Try to delete INI/DB (you're not using) from AppData and run MM. Also you can use /INIFILE command line parameter.
You want me to remove the AppData ini and db while MM is running?

Also, can you explain the /inifile command line parameter? I've never used that.

Justin
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

I get this when I follow that link:
You are not authorised to read this forum.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Sorry, it was in the moderators forum, I hadn't realized that (since I searched for it). Here's the content (originally posted by Owyn):

Nyn has asked several times about how to use the new /INIFILE command line parameter. The theory is simple, use a different configuration when running MM. The details can be a little tricky.

This is all the steps I went through to use the copy of Teknojnky's database on my system.

First I need to process the file from Tekno
1) Downloaded new database from the link Tekno provided.
2) Renamed the rar to append a .YYMMDD.HHMM time stamp to the filename. Not necessary, but, it is my standard practice for files which I may have more than one of.
3) I store test databases in C:\MMDATA\... Decided I needed a new area to store databases from other users. Created folders C:\MMDATA\UserDatabases and C:\MMDATA\UserDatabases\Teknojnky.
4) Moved the renamed rar from step 2 from my Downloads folder to the C:\MMDATA\UserDatabases\Teknojnky folder. I will keep this file as a restore point in the event that I need to go back to the original db.
5) Used IZArc to expand the rar into a new folder with the same name as the arc. I now have "C:\MMDATA\UserDatabases\Teknojnky\MM3db.081228.0919\MM3.db" available.

Now I need to set up a custom .ini file for it
1) Go to my base test folder C:\MMDATA\MediaMonkey
2) Copy C:\MMDATA\MediaMonkey\Mediamonkey.ini and rename copy as Teknojnky.ini.
3) Edit Teknojnky.ini -> [System] -> DBName= to read
DBName=C:\MMDATA\UserDatabases\Teknojnky\MM3db.081228.0919\MM3.DB

Now I need to set up a Vista shortcut to use the new .ini file
1) I keep my testing shortcuts in Start Menu -> Programs -> MediaMonkey Testing
2) Open the shortcuts folder
3) Copy my base shortcut for using Current (ie. latest) Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe with MMDATA MediaMonkey.ini.
4) Edit properties of new shortcut.
- General->Filename: Change from "MediaMonkey(Current,MMDATA) - Copy" to "MediaMonkey(Current,MMDATA,Teknojnky)
- Shortcut->Target: Change from ""C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe" /INIFILE=C:\MMDATA\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini" to ""C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe" /INIFILE="C:\MMDATA\MediaMonkey\Teknojnky.ini""

To use the new entry just select it from Start Menu or the custom shortcut folder.

Bit long winded, but, the devils in the details.

EDIT: Quoted /INIFILE path
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

Sounds good. I'll try that when I get to work in the morning. Thanks for the info nohitter.

Justin
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

The /INIFILE parameter worked like a charm. Thanks for the help.

Justin
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

I'm experiencing this issue again in build 1228. The INIFILE parameter had been working without issue until I installed the latest build. I've tried recreating my shortcut and deleting the files that are being created under Application Data, but it still recreates them every time i start. It seems to be ignoring the INIFILE parameter now.

Justin
justin_f

Post by justin_f »

I'm not seeing this issue any longer in build 1229.

Justin