NEXT MM4 BETA-Version?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Erwin Hanzl

NEXT MM4 BETA-Version?

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello Rusty,
will the MMW still publish on 4.1.32.1920?
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Re: NEXT MM4 BETA-Version?

Post by Lowlander »

That's unlikely as MediaMonkey 5 replaces MediaMonkey 4. A new MediaMonkey 4 release may come if a critical issue were to crop up, otherwise the development of MediaMonkey continues with MediaMonkey 5.0.2.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

But that's strange.
Three bugs were fixed for the 1920 version.

https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17704
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17651
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17586

Publish this last beta version. thanks

So for them MM4 is already dead !!!
Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey is the product and is being developed, the latest release for MediaMonkey is 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 is in Alpha testing.

Sometimes bug fixes in MediaMonkey 5 do get pushed to MediaMonkey 4 if they're a low risk fix, but MediaMonkey 4 is replaced with MediaMonkey 5 and development resources are spend on MediaMonkey 5.

If there is ever a need to release a new MediaMonkey 4 release due to a critical issue the fixes will be included.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Too bad, as long as MM4 works, I'll use it.
After that I have to look for other software.

Wish you the best of luck with MM5.
M3wThr33

Post by M3wThr33 »

I'm sticking on 4 as long as I can. I tried a non-beta of MM5 recently, and it corrupted some album art on some files I was updating.

I should report it, but the fact that is, it scared me off for a long while from going in, especially with so many extensions missing.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you should report this and capture this in a debug log (step 4b) as it would be serious: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

Attach it to a Support Ticket and it will help a developer analyze why this happens in your setup.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Lowlander wrote:Sometimes bug fixes in MediaMonkey 5 do get pushed to MediaMonkey 4
What does that mean?

Are you saying that MM5 could have a bug(s) that cause the developers to be suspicious of a possible similar
problem in MM4 based on being related to similar functionality?
(I don't mean the coding is exactly the same)

Or, are you saying that on rare occasion a bug in MM4 could be critical enough to focus more
attention on, temporarily, than any current (at the time) bug in MM5?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Part of the code base is shared. So a fix would work on both versions. However it seems unlikely that MM4 gets any new release, as MediaMonkey 5 is the next release for it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Shortly said, some bugs that affects MM4 and can be merged back with MM4 they are added/included to MM4 source in case we decide to publish another MM4 build.

Note this will happen only if MM4 core functionality is so severely broken and can't be fixed otherwise than releasing new build.

One of examples is iOS 15 Support in MM4 which was fixed by releasing separate MM4 addon instead of releasing new Beta version, because core functionality was not affected.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts