Selecting multiple tracks using a tickbox [#13257]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

richiefinger

Selecting multiple tracks using a tickbox [#13257]

Post by richiefinger »

Is there a way of using tickboxes to select multiple tracks to edit rather than holding down ctrl and selecting.
If not, why not?
Is there a wishlist for this?
dtsig

Re: Selecting multiple tracks using a tickbox

Post by dtsig »

No it is not possible ... Not sure if it has been asked for before, Search the wishlist section
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
richiefinger

Tickbox for selecting multiple files to edit

Post by richiefinger »

If you are trying to edit a large batch of files that can't be handled automatically its a real pain to hold down control, scroll down, select item, scroll down etc etc
So easy to press the wrong button after you spent 20 minutes choosing the correct files and then you lose the whole selection and have to start again.
Tickbox to select files would stop this happening.
Last edited by Lowlander on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I love the idea of what you are saying, as I too have had my fair share of accidental clicks.
Although, I'm not sure how this would best be implemented. Multiple radio select for each track, outside
of a few tracks or a comprehensive file list selection, would be worse; as it would take forever.

Maybe, a single radio tick to put MM in a selection mode. Where MM would only respond to left clicks, in the file list, when holding control down or mutli-selecting with the
mouse.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

The emerging trend with tick boxes is that holding shift and clicking a tick box also selects everything from the last selection to the new selection so you can still quickly select many items.

I like the way the Windows 10 file browser implements file selection. You get both the traditional method of shift/ctrl clicking for multiple selection as well as tick boxes so you can use whichever you prefer.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

It would be nice though, if the tickbox could be used as a mode of prevention with selecting rather than just for the selecting itself, such as range.
This would be nice for selections that are multiple but non-consecutive.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
MMFrLife

Re: Selecting multiple tracks using a tickbox [#13257]

Post by MMFrLife »

Thanks for adding to mantis Peke!

I like the b.) option in particular. Some people may not like it visually, if always showing. But mainly, it could result in accident of it's own (when people aren't
even trying to select anything, may unknowingly click something with occasional awkward mouse or finger/stylus movements).

Either way, it would be nice if showing it was implemented as "option" only.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I agree, till then Click -> Shift+Click -> CTRL+Click -> SHIFT+CTRL+ Click -> [REPEAT LAST TWO] will have to work.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

I have no troubles the way it is.
I've learned to scroll to so many like 20 or so selected then right click on them and send to new temp playlist.
then go add more if i need to add more to edit in a batch.
once the playlist is filled with all i want to edit i select all in that playlist and edit. then when done editing i remove from that playlist.
no trouble losing all the previous selected because of a miss click on something else. sure i did lose tons of selected and had to re select them a few times, but only took me 3 times to learn to make the temp playlist. :D

rovingcowboy / keith hall / monkey hi fi
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Thats how I do it now.
If what you are then doing in the edit takes a minute and you have to do it in 50 batches its 50 extra minutes.
As a comparison, I did the same job of highlighting the exact same files sitting in an arm chair with one hand using a mouse when doing it through plex and it took me about 5 minutes compared to over an hour in MM.
Hence me suggesting it.
Plex doesn't use a tickbox but goes into tickbox mode when you start to highlight tracks and just highlights all you click on.
imagehopper

Post by imagehopper »

Only limits on the size of the batch edit is the amount of free ram you have.
From what cowboy said I take it to mean he does the adding in as many songs no matter how big the edit list is.
Cowboy and others have said before to use the check box on the end of the tag in the properties panel to change multiple songs when you have multiple songs selected, are you doing that or do you only do one at a time ?
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Yes I right click , properties, then change the field on the batch not individually.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Regardless of "how" you intend to do it, accidents can still happen. I've done it all different ways, methods and amounts/consecutive and non-consecutive selection
and single select/multi-select and have still on occasion had an accident. The properties thing is really neato, but you have to be able to get to it before
the accident. It's a "fumble fingers/awkward movement, motor control" thing - not an intellectual/just knowing were to go or how to do it thing.

The reasoning/clarification is in the 3rd post, not the OP.
richiefinger wrote:Plex doesn't use a tickbox but goes into tickbox mode when you start to highlight tracks and just highlights all you click on.
Yes, some sort of prevention mode :wink: