Make MediaMonkey available for Raspberry Pi

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

blabley

Re: Make MediaMonkey available for Raspberry Pi

Post by blabley »

Great idea, the dev's will need to get MM working on an ARM flavour of Linux...
pshock13

MediaMonkey meets Rapberry Pi

Post by pshock13 »

First off, if you have no idea what the Raspberry Pi is...go check them out here http://www.raspberrypi.org/
This credit card sized linux computer is pretty powerful considering its size, and for 35$ you cant beat it.

I've searched and searched for days now to no avail. It seems more than a handful of people would like to have mediamonkey running as a standalone on the Raspberry Pi to serve up media to other devices on the network.

Raspbmc is a great OS in itself, but lacking in places where MediaMonkey excels. One thing for me is that RaspBMC isn't able to shuffle ALL my music, only the songs of ONE album at a time (as that is how my media is organized in folders).

It would also be great to have this new OS compatible with current releases of MediaMonkey on Windows as an easy way for other users on the network to access the media on the Raspberry Pi HDD.

I basically am trying to see how big the fanbase for this kind of system is and then see about getting a community together and actually start making this thing! I mean, what's holding us back really? now, I don't know much when it comes to Linux or coding (or writing an entire OS for that matter!) but ever since ordering my Raspberry Pi, i've seen this as a learning experience.

I have a lot of ideas for this as I'm sure many others do as well, so lets hear'em.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
mr.crabs

Post by mr.crabs »

Hi,

I'm the OP for this topic. Still keep checking back here in the hope that there is still chance for MM on the Pi. I have found no other solution despite many searches and head scratching.

I have had to resort to second best option which is to use an android TV box (G-Box Midnight in my case, though I'm sure alternatives are better now). It has support for mounting network drives (built into it's OS) which I use MountManager to mount because all my music is on a Synology NAS drive. I then use PowerAmp Music Player to catalogue and play my music library through a nice pair of active speakers plugged into the tv box itself. Works very well plugged into a small TV for browsing the music list and having nice album art displayed. It's a good solution which I am pleased with, but it's still not MM.

Hope that helps someone else looking for a neat music player.
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

Jabba Jams

Post by Jabba Jams »

I was wondering if there was any plans to make Media Monkey compatible with the Windows 10 version of the Raspberry Pi 2.
lukeclancy

Post by lukeclancy »

has anybody tried current MM on win10 for RPi?
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

I was pondering about this myself and did a little digging.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/win ... d-to-know/
Windows 10 on the Pi won't run traditional Windows desktop applications with a graphical interface, such as Microsoft Word or Internet Explorer, as these are incompatible with the Pi's ARM-based hardware.

What it will run are Universal Windows apps. These are apps that are written to run on many different types of devices - PCs, phones, tablets, Xboxes and IoT-related machines like the Pi. Universal Windows apps adapt their look and feel depending on which device they are running on - scaling back features where they are not supported by a particular platform but without breaking the app.
If I have read the web page correctly it means that the metro version could possibly work on windows on Pi.
Windows 10 Pro x64 2TB USB3 External Hdd with Quad Core 3600Mhz CPU and 10GB Ram
MM 4.1.21.1871 Portable on External Hdd
TESTING MM 5.0.0.2113
Numerous Addons
User Since 2006 (Lifetime License) since 2012
lukeclancy

Post by lukeclancy »

...hmmmm....that sounds like progress, maybe i will need to figure out how to get win10 on my pi..
thanks
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

lukeclancy wrote:...hmmmm....that sounds like progress, maybe i will need to figure out how to get win10 on my pi..
thanks
I think I saw a link on the website to do this.

Good luck
Mike
Windows 10 Pro x64 2TB USB3 External Hdd with Quad Core 3600Mhz CPU and 10GB Ram
MM 4.1.21.1871 Portable on External Hdd
TESTING MM 5.0.0.2113
Numerous Addons
User Since 2006 (Lifetime License) since 2012
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

I am also astonished that with the low cost, increasing popularity and quality DAC boards that the Pi offers that MM has not been ported. It seems to be the perfect solution for music lovers. I'd gladly pay for the 'Gold' version for such a configuration. All the more surprising, since there's an Android port available... how much more complicated could it possibly be? Seems they're better than half way there already.

The joke is on me, I suppose, because I bought a Pi3 and HiFiBerry thinking I could use it as a standalone server pulling FLAC files from my NAS and using either my PC or Android phone as a control point, but alas, I'm screwed. The only solution right now is Kodi since it's the only UPnP client/server that has multi platform support.

What an utter disappointment. I surely hope someone will step up to the plate soon.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I would like to clear some things about hype around *Pi devices.

- It is stable platform for developers
- It is transparent and open platform
- It is easy adoptable with good range of connectivity and usage.
- It is standardized and widely available

All above are the good reasons for MM exist on Pi so here are the things why MM still do not exist and is hard to port at this moment:
- MMW 4.x is on 15 year old platform and idea (it evolved over the years to keep up with technology, but main idea is from 2001)
- MMW 4.x is Windows only Platform
- MMW 4.x is not transparent enough
- MMW 4.x is not open enough (many other proprietary software are closed much more than MMW)
- MMW 4.x is too robust for DAC behavior (more like MMA app would be better)

Until many of those facts are not solved you can imagine how much time and resources would be needed to create Pi project and app.

On the better side MM5 addresses those things or at least start to solve them.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
DWB

Post by DWB »

After much searching I have a work around to get Raspberry Pi to use MM library. Since my main listening is classical music the usual player offerings are pretty useless at categorising music as I wish, so I cannot rely on player on Pi to build a decent catalogue.
Issue - I need (say) Clementine audio player on Pi to use MM library categorisation (MMW running on Windows PC) for a large collection (over 9,000 files) held on a NAS, in various file formats, etc. MM set up with an album title for each work or group of works eg "Bach, JS: BWV 246 St Luke Passion"
1 - I added the MM extension Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes (from http://solair.eunet.rs/~Ezvezdand/Expor ... bNodes.htm)
2 - Select all (or subset of) albums in MM
3 - Use extension to create playlists for each (selected) album (all 919 files saved on the NAS)
4 - Mount the NAS which contains all the music files on the Pi - so that is now on the Pi as "/home/pi/WDMyCloud/Public/Shared Music"
5 - I used a neat (free) program called fnr (from https://findandreplace.codeplex.com/) to bulk replace the NAS file path in the playlist files with the Pi path as noted in step above
6 - Then copied all the playlist files from NAS to Pi (/home/pi/Music). So now have for example a playlist file called "Bach, JS- BWV 246 St Luke Passion.xspf" on Pi
7 - Then get Clementine audio player on Pi to look at files in this folder - result is list of albums as per MM library