When will you port to Linux?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Finsternis

Re: When will you port to Linux?

Post by Finsternis »

Lana wrote:Yes I want make a Donation for a Linux :) Edition too. Only for the Developing! :D
The Pro Version-Key, I will buy seperately. 8)
Or make a crowdfunding, please. I think, you can calculate a maximum of finance you need to do this.
I can understand the porting is a big deal. I can understand that Linux seems a relatively small audience. But it also seems that MANY people will pay and PAY WELL for a Linux version. Could you not work something out, like "We will do the port if we get pre-orders of $X"? Could you not send out a survey asking "Do you want a Linux version, and if so, how much will you pay?"

Your Windows version is WELL established. Right now you are mostly fixing bugs (or working on the long-awaited "next version". But this is a business opportunity. If you don't want it to be OSS/freeware, FINE. We will pay. Do you like money? Are you in business to make money, or not?

You are throwing away a valuable (as in, $$$$) opportunity to be the Killer App for music on Linux. You already have an Android version - how hard could it be? Your customers are demanding it. They are begging you. They are saying "Shut up and take my money!" Why are you ignoring it? If you need xtra cycles, hire some extra help with the pre-order money. I assure you, once it is released, word will get around and every music=loving Linux user on the planet will buy it.

You are consistently silent on this issue. Can you at least explain what the reasons are? Is it because you think it would be a difficult port? Is it because you think there will not be enough users? Is it because you feel you are too busy? WHAT IS IT??

Sorry to sound harsh, guys - I love MM and have for years. I'm on your side! I want you to be successful and make money! I want to throw money at you! Why don't you want my money???
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MM5 Windows version is intended to be the model for a cross-platform Mediamonkey. This will be stabilized before
other OS versions are created. MM5 was just released (see MM5 forum), but it's an alpha (feature lacking and intended for test purposes only).
It's baby steps, it will get there, but you must wait until MM5 Win is stabilized.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

MMFrLife wrote:MM5 Windows version is intended to be the model for a cross-platform Mediamonkey. This will be stabilized before
other OS versions are created. MM5 was just released (see MM5 forum), but it's an alpha (feature lacking and intended for test purposes only).
It's baby steps, it will get there, but you must wait until MM5 Win is stabilized.
Well, that's great to hear, and I'm glad. But it is also what we've been hearing for quite some time. It seems like you lack the programmer cycles to do it faster. Understandable, I guess you are a small team. My humble suggestion is that you gather some money through pre-orders/crowdfunding and use it to get more people to work on it and do it faster. No offense, but you have to admit that "MM5" has been in the works for, what, 2 years now?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Working on it longer than 2 years.
Hearing about it for quite some time, indeed. But, it wasn't released yet. Now it is. The question is how much longer from this point on?
I'm not sure why they approached it "exactly" like that.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

Let me clear things out a bit:

MMW (4.x) = 15 year old refined windows only orientated application compatible (mostly) with Winamp structure and plugins
MM5 = Complete rewrite from scratch (NOT PORT) with burden of having stable mature 15 year old product behind. More open, platform independent
MMA = MediaMonkey Android player and Companion application to make more easier and pleasant mobile music experience on mobile platform

Time before it is stable it depends, as we have set high standards (as always) for our product and finally we are satisfied with what we have to work with. So here is Alpha as a result of that.

Jiri and Rusty will explain in more details if needed.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jiri

Post by jiri »

MM5 is the first step to other platforms. We'll focus on this more very soon, we'd just like to clean up MM5 for Windows first. So, while it's very hard to make any promises, I'd like to have at least some preview/alpha versions in 2017.

Jiri
Kors

Post by Kors »

I have quit waiting and using Clementine now.
Its not complete as MM but it do work.
At times, I came back to this forum only to read the same responses.
Its understadeable that Linux is not an interesting enviroment for commercial software.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Kors wrote:Its understadeable that Linux is not an interesting environment for commercial software.
I would disagree with you but Linux Desktops are still very slowly adopted. Even they doubled in 2016 mainly due the number of Indy developers and major GPU manufacturers released stable drivers. On Other hand at NAS/SAN Linux is prime OS and very very commercially interesting.
Best regards,
Peke
jcfogerty

Post by jcfogerty »

Kors wrote:I have quit waiting and using Clementine now.
Its not complete as MM but it do work.
At times, I came back to this forum only to read the same responses.
Its understadeable that Linux is not an interesting enviroment for commercial software.
I use Clementine when in Linux, but it does not even come close to MM4 when it comes to playlist capabilities and (MMA) syncing ease (wireless sync) for mobile devices. I have been trying to get Clementine and MM4 to exchange simple data (ahem, my user-generated data), but have had no success. No I do not count reports as a realistic solution.

Unless MM developers open up the code for a more friendly and interoperable database approach versus the current proprietary one, I will have to use two operating systems.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
mothball

Post by mothball »

Finsternis wrote:
Lana wrote:Yes I want make a Donation for a Linux :) Edition too. Only for the Developing! :D
The Pro Version-Key, I will buy seperately. 8)
Or make a crowdfunding, please. I think, you can calculate a maximum of finance you need to do this.
I can understand the porting is a big deal. I can understand that Linux seems a relatively small audience. But it also seems that MANY people will pay and PAY WELL for a Linux version. Could you not work something out, like "We will do the port if we get pre-orders of $X"? Could you not send out a survey asking "Do you want a Linux version, and if so, how much will you pay?"

Your Windows version is WELL established. Right now you are mostly fixing bugs (or working on the long-awaited "next version". But this is a business opportunity. If you don't want it to be OSS/freeware, FINE. We will pay. Do you like money? Are you in business to make money, or not?

You are throwing away a valuable (as in, $$$$) opportunity to be the Killer App for music on Linux. You already have an Android version - how hard could it be? Your customers are demanding it. They are begging you. They are saying "Shut up and take my money!" Why are you ignoring it? If you need xtra cycles, hire some extra help with the pre-order money. I assure you, once it is released, word will get around and every music=loving Linux user on the planet will buy it.

You are consistently silent on this issue. Can you at least explain what the reasons are? Is it because you think it would be a difficult port? Is it because you think there will not be enough users? Is it because you feel you are too busy? WHAT IS IT??

Sorry to sound harsh, guys - I love MM and have for years. I'm on your side! I want you to be successful and make money! I want to throw money at you! Why don't you want my money???

Sign me up too - happy to contribute to a kickstarter if funding is a driving issue - would certainly ease my music management issues with a multi platform MM
Red Maw

Post by Red Maw »

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted add my vote for a linux version. Never thought there was much chance of MM on linux (natively) but with changes in MM5 there is a sputtering candle of light in the vast gloomy darkness now.
john81

Post by john81 »

Hi all,

i am waiting since years for a Linux-Port. I have run MM with Wine and at the end under Virtualbox. But this all don't make me very happy. I hope this would be changed in the next years with MM5. It's somehow irony funny, because MM is not a extremely important application for me but this the only one application that i don't find an alternative or reasonable solution for Linux.

I think, if they will release a native Linux-Version equal in quality to the Win-Version, i will buy a second Life-Time-License. Or let us do crowdfunding :D

Best wishes, johno
VladTepes

Post by VladTepes »

This comes up fairly regularly, and its a few months since the previous post but just to clarify - it has been stated before that the developers will wait until MM5 is stable before developing a Linux (or other OS) version.

This is the only sensible thing to do.

From a business point of view the one thing worse than no linux version, would be a poorly implemented unstable Linux version.

So kick back and relax.. good things come in time.
cordelia

Post by cordelia »

I'm waiting too