adding a new "type"

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

olivechicago

Re: adding a new "type"

Post by olivechicago »

nohitter151 wrote:
olivechicago wrote:
I too would like to see non-music and/or spoken word added as a type.
Why?

The "Type" field itself is really not useful for how you browse the library. What is useful for browsing are "Collections". You can create your own collections based on any criteria, including custom fields and genre. So for non-music and/or spoken word tracks, I would assume that you already have these tracks differentiated from the rest of your "regular music" somehow, whether that be with the use of a custom field or with a specific genre, eg. "Spoken Word", "Stand up comedy", etc.

So just create a new collection with Genre is "Spoken Word"; "Stand up comedy"; etc.

and edit your current music collection so that Genre "is not" "Spoken Word"; "Stand up comedy"; etc.
I open MediaMonkey. I click on the default "Music" icon under "Now Playing." This now permits MM to play ALL of my MUSIC. But wait... what's this? As I randomly play through my entire music collection, The Jerky Boys Vol 1 and 2, Henry Rollins spoken word shows, and my Mitch Hedberg are included in this, and now have to be skipped.

I sure think it would be useful to just eliminate such items from "Music" altogether, since it's not really music, just like items with their own types already, like Podcasts, Audibooks, and Videos, which are not music. Ironically, Classical Music, which is music and has its own type, can easily be separated from the fold, yet a spoken word type track needs special attention to keep it from getting lumped in with Rock, Rap, Jazz, House, etc.

I create a playlist for "Random 100." It contains 100 random tracks from my music collection. Only it also included spoken word, comedy shows, and other "non-music" "music" tracks. Now sure I can add additional rules to the playlist to exclude "non-music" items, but since this playlist contains no classical music automatically (since the type for classical is classical,) why can't we have the option to set the type for non-music tracks to "non-music" and just eliminate from the mix right from the start?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

now playing is a playlist created when you first pick songs and tell mmw to play them. if you click on the playlist node then you will see a list of playlists to pick and play from if you created any, which you do by right clicking the playlist node and picking either auto playlist or normal playlist..
so if you want different genere playlist you have to make them.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

olivechicago wrote:
nohitter151 wrote: So just create a new collection with Genre is "Spoken Word"; "Stand up comedy"; etc.

and edit your current music collection so that Genre "is not" "Spoken Word"; "Stand up comedy"; etc.
I open MediaMonkey. I click on the default "Music" icon under "Now Playing." This now permits MM to play ALL of my MUSIC. But wait... what's this? As I randomly play through my entire music collection, The Jerky Boys Vol 1 and 2, Henry Rollins spoken word shows, and my Mitch Hedberg are included in this, and now have to be skipped.

I sure think it would be useful to just eliminate such items from "Music" altogether, since it's not really music, just like items with their own types already, like Podcasts, Audibooks, and Videos, which are not music. Ironically, Classical Music, which is music and has its own type, can easily be separated from the fold, yet a spoken word type track needs special attention to keep it from getting lumped in with Rock, Rap, Jazz, House, etc.

I create a playlist for "Random 100." It contains 100 random tracks from my music collection. Only it also included spoken word, comedy shows, and other "non-music" "music" tracks. Now sure I can add additional rules to the playlist to exclude "non-music" items, but since this playlist contains no classical music automatically (since the type for classical is classical,) why can't we have the option to set the type for non-music tracks to "non-music" and just eliminate from the mix right from the start?
Did you even read my post at all? You can just edit your "Music" collection to eliminate these types of tracks. That's the whole point I'm trying to get across.

In fact, that is even EASIER than every time you import a track, having to check if it's type field needs to be changed.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

nohitter .. it isn't easier as you still have to 'edit' something.

OP .. you should probably let this one go. As with any SW people who have used it for years have worked out the 'work arounds' and so don't see something like this a problem/enhancement. Since there really are many *fixes* to be done, although i think Type should be opened up, it would probably be best to let them spend their time fixing things. Just put this in the WISHLIST topic (probably already there) and call it good.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's already discussed and on the wishlist and we may eventually see custom types and/or custom type definition.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

dtsig wrote:nohitter .. it isn't easier as you still have to 'edit' something.
Sure, you edit the collection criteria once. Odds are your "Spoken word" or whatever it is will already be distinguishable from other music by the genre and if not that, probably by the file path or folder.

That as opposed to editing the "Type" for every single new file that you import.

I noticed this issue on my own with TV show files. All of my video files import as type "Video" (even TV shows), and every time new files come in I'd have to edit the "Type" and change to "TV". But I keep TV episodes in a different folder from regular movie files, so I just edited the TV collection to include that path, and the Movie collection to ignore that path. Now I don't have to worry about changing the "Type" field. To me that is so much easier and more convenient.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Batalanto!

A reconsideration of being able to create new "types"

Post by Batalanto! »

I understand the use of genre to place filters on a collection, but it seems to create more work than it would be to have the option of creating new types. Here's an example. On my computer, I have three subfiles under Music: Music, AudioBook, and Me. The problem here with the final category is that I have had to create it (and a corresponding "Me" genre), rather than being able to have a single Type - Voice - under which I could then have accurate genres for: voice-over, singing, rehearsal, original composition, etc. So, yes, I have a workaround, and, yes, I'm betting I could do a workaround with filters. But, truth is, some of us who are not power users (and have to consult the FAQ every time we try to do something) would find Types (in tandem with genres) more intuitive than creating filters. Your feedback welcomed. Peace, -JC
MMFrLife

Re: A reconsideration of being able to create new "types"

Post by MMFrLife »

I'm all for "new types", but these are metadata only. So, you would still have to write this info into a cross-program tag field if you wanted it to
show up in another program/player (if I understand what you're getting at?).
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
jdw763

Post by jdw763 »

Type is definitely valid in addition to Genre. For example, a ringtone, notification, or sound-effect type that has the same genre as the original piece that it was extracted from.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

jdw763 wrote:Type is definitely valid
Valid to what? What do you mean by this in practice?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
justabloke

Post by justabloke »

Add 1 more to this feature request, and some idea of when it might be added would be nice too.
jdw763

Post by jdw763 »

MMFrLife wrote:
jdw763 wrote:Type is definitely valid
Valid to what? What do you mean by this in practice?
I know it has been a while, but I've been ill.

Valid as a fixed categorisation criteria that isn't going to change during the lifetime of the object.

In practice, the only way to use Genre on it's own to distinguish different types, without losing the genre, would be to create additional qualified genres, such as "Rock Extracts", "Rock Ringtones", "Rock Sound Effects", then keep doing that for other genres as needed; "Blues Extracts", "Blues Ringtones", "Blues Sound Effects", etc.

Another example. Imagine a 22 minute Prog Rock track with a genre of Prog Rock, which actually comprises of six, or seven, different pieces. If you cut that track up, each piece is still has a genre of "Prog Rock", but it's ""type" is now an "extract/cut/sample/movement", or whatever is most appropriate as an all-encompassing categorisation. Like I said, similar with ringtones.

Notably missing from "types", for me, are "Ringtones", "Sound Effects" and "Extracts", or something similar.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Yeah, that's cool, I'm all for it. I just meant in the sense of "don't expect them to show up in other environments".

Sorry to hear you've been ill. Bummer! Hope you're ok and will be back around. :)
😜
deremder

Post by deremder »

You can't solve that only with custom types. Change a custom field into "Type", display the column in your file list and tag all the sommer/winter/spittet songs in this field.
Then open options and go to archive > archive tree (I hope the names are correct, I use the german version), enter your archives with a filter on your custom field "Type" with the string you entered.

You'ld need to tag the files also when you use MM-types, but this way is more confortable cause you can change your "Type" in the list. Custom MM types do not make sense.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

deremder wrote:You can't solve that only with custom types.
Yes you can. It's just a matter of preference/convenience/style/approach/etc.
deremder wrote:You'ld need to tag the files also when you use MM-types, but this way is more confortable cause you can change your "Type" in the list. Custom MM types do not make sense.
I actually prefer doing it the way you and nohitter151 above are saying, but preference alone doesn't make something not make sense. And, you can edit MM types
in the file list, both by using properties and in-line editing. I like the idea of having both and welcome new types but ulimately follow dtsigs feelings that there
is just too much else to work on.

btw, custom fields are also only an MM thing.
😜