adding a new "type"

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

bugbeast

adding a new "type"

Post by bugbeast »

Is it possible to add a new "type" to my MM interface. For example, in addition to Music, Classical Music, TV, and Podcasts, I'd like Spoken Word, Seminars, and Comedy.

I know how to create a new node that can be defined by a type, but it seems that types themselves are static and hardwired in the code. Can someone confirm or lend a hand? Thanks!
Onweerwolf

Re: adding a new "type"

Post by Onweerwolf »

I'm pretty sure that it's not possible to do so at this time.

Although there has been talk about expanding on the collections part of the software in the near future. Whether this will include the possibility of custom types i'm not sure.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Boris

Post by Boris »

I would also like to see a Type specially for Home Movies - somewhere to keep separately the videos I shoot on my iPhone etc. Seems wrong having them mixed in with proper films etc. Cheers MM for the best Media Player of 'em all.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

You can add your own genere's by just typing it in the text area on the song/ movies properties panel then you can use that just like any other genere.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Custom Types are not needed to separate content into Collections as you can use any number of criteria like Genre or Path/Filename to separate content into Collections. I have Movies (actual movies), TV episodes and home movies all in separate Collections. For me Path/Filename is the criteria I use.
Jeff M.

Post by Jeff M. »

Developer team:

I love this program... I bought a Gold license a long time ago. And thinking about it, I realize why you don't see a need to add custom types, another customizable field, but like the others, I would like to add another layer to my organization.

Example: Holiday/Christmas music is "Music" - I have it come up, however, in mid-Summer when listening with Auto-DJ to "Music". It would be nice to have the ability to categorize as "Holiday" or "Christmas" so that not only is it NOT played in Summer, but I can also have it play THOSE items when that season comes around.

The only "alternative" is to either create a playlist of all the rest of my music, or remove the holiday music from the database (and then re-add it for the holiday, and either remove the rest of the music or, as said earlier, create a playlist of the holiday music.)

I also have a few albums that I only listen to under certain circumstances that I wouldn't want playing normally - such as my Dr. Demento albums - and would like to mark these as "Comedy" or "Parody"

It's nice to be able to create genres, but as you can't auto-DJ by genre (something else to think about) or choose multiple items from which auto-DJ pulls the music from, then more ways to organize the music would be preferable and desired.

Can you see it from that viewpoint, too?

- Jeff
bugbeast

Post by bugbeast »

Jeff,
As the original poster in this topic, I agree that the ability to add new “types” would be welcome. Until that becomes a reality, however, I think there is a suggestion that can help you achieve your goal.

Go to Options/Library/Media Tree, scroll to the very bottom of the Collections list and click on “Add New Collection.” You can then use the criteria tab to define a new collection by genre (or anything else, just like an AutoPlaylist). For example, you could tag your comedy tracks with a genre of “Comedy.” Then define a new collection called Comedy which is defined as all tracks with the genre of comedy, Then, and this is important, edit your Music collection (same screen as before or you can right click and choose Options/Edit Collection) to NOT include the genre of Comedy.

Once you’ve done this extensively, you can have multiple collections that contain different types of content without actually NEEDING to have custom Types. Don’t get me wrong, I still want custom types, but this solution does the trick for the most part…it’s just a bit untidy.

I hope this help!
Matt
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can simply configure the Music Collection with an additional criteria Genre is not Christmas when it isn't the season for it. After all you'd still have to change criteria if custom Types exist (add Type = Christmas to the Music Collection when it is the season for it).

The only thing that can't be done without custom Types is Playback Rules for custom Types. Anything to do with Collections can be done without custom Types as custom Types would be criteria based something Collections already can do.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I really do not see an issue of using new Media Tree to filter Occasion: Holiday Music
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
olivechicago

Post by olivechicago »

While Christmas music is in the end... music, spoken word and whatnot is most certainly not music. Even Discogs has items listed as "non-music."

I too would like to see non-music and/or spoken word added as a type.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

olivechicago wrote:
I too would like to see non-music and/or spoken word added as a type.
Why?

The "Type" field itself is really not useful for how you browse the library. What is useful for browsing are "Collections". You can create your own collections based on any criteria, including custom fields and genre. So for non-music and/or spoken word tracks, I would assume that you already have these tracks differentiated from the rest of your "regular music" somehow, whether that be with the use of a custom field or with a specific genre, eg. "Spoken Word", "Stand up comedy", etc.

So just create a new collection with Genre is "Spoken Word"; "Stand up comedy"; etc.

and edit your current music collection so that Genre "is not" "Spoken Word"; "Stand up comedy"; etc.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

If type is not useful why have it at all? At least don't expose it to the user. If it is useful then why not let it be expanded by user? For example there is Video and TV. Why have TV? Isn't it just of type video? The users could just create a collection .. yes?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It provides a basic sub-categorization of files which is especially useful to users of the free version (they can't create/modify Collections). For those with Gold features they can create Collections based on nearly any field in MediaMonkey. Custom Type definition would work the same way.

I personally use a mix. Some Collections use Type as criteria whereas others use other criteria.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

dtsig wrote:If type is not useful why have it at all?
In the context of MediaMonkey the only thing that Type is really useful for is changing your "Playback" and "Double-click action" options. (So that, for example, you can queue up files for playback differently based on your preferences. Like you would probably want to double click a movie and just play that movie, not add an entire list of them to now playing). In terms of distinguishing certain files from one another, it's no more useful than any other field.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.