Remember Last "Column sort by" Selection

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

KrotoSmith

Remember Last "Column sort by" Selection

Post by KrotoSmith » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Hello. I am a long time user of MediaMonkey (five years) and am a huge fan of this software. It is, as far as I am concerned, the best available music managing program, and whenever it comes up I always recommend this amazing program. (As a side note, I'd love a portable media player running something similar/based on MediaMonkey for its library! But that's neither here nor there...)

With the recent release of MediaMonkey 4 I (as I'm sure many others) went ahead and upgraded from MediaMonkey 3 to 4. Overall, I have no complaints about tupgrade and really enjoy the cleaned up interface and streamlined abilities that I have gained in the transition. However, there is one thing that I remember being able to do in MediaMonkey 3 that I find myself missing in MediaMonkey 4, and that is the ability for the program to remember the last column that was clicked on to "sort by." To be clear, the program continues to work as before and remembers what was last clicked on before being closed or when switching between the various views (Music, Playlists, etc.). However, what I have found is that with MediaMonkey 4, anytime a search is performed, the program displays my search results in a "scrambled" order (alphabetically by folder then file on my computer), rather than what I was accustomed to in MediaMonkey 3, which was the same "sort by" I had enabled in the library. Furthermore, after performing a search, the main Library returns to standard "sort by" settings, which seems to be by Artist then Album, rather than keeping the same "sort by" setting that had been selected earlier. While it is possible to simply re-"sort by," this process does become tedious, especially when multiple columns are "sorted by" in hierarchical order with the Control key.

Sorry if I have simply overlooked a new setting that needs to be enabled or if this has already been requested.

Lowlander

Re: Remember Last "Column sort by" Selection

Post by Lowlander » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Search sort order isn't remembered nor transferred to other nodes. In other nodes the like Collections the sort order should be remembered.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

KrotoSmith

Post by KrotoSmith » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Lowlander:

Since I have switched over to MediaMonkey 4, the program remembers sort order in all nodes until I perform a search, at which point it is reset to "nothing" (no arrows in any of the sort columns and using the default Artist, then Album). Is this not normal?

When I used MediaMonkey 3 it used the same sort order that I had enabled in my other nodes and never reset my selections in other nodes (equating to the same sort order no matter what I was doing in MediaMonkey). Was this not normal of MediaMonkey 3?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm not sure what search is sorted on, but I believe it has its own default sort. Sorting yourself in search shouldn't affect sort in other nodes, is that what you're seeing?

KrotoSmith

Post by KrotoSmith » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 am

Not exactly. I understand that search has its own sort by settings independent of other nodes. That is working and is not the problem. Allow me to illustrate to you the problem with an example that will hopefully clear everything up:

I am in the library node and I choose to sort by date. All of my music is then arranged in chronological fashion.

At this point, I decide to search for something using the search tool box, and it brings the results. Now, sometimes these results are sorted of their own accord (following the sort by album then by song title), and sometimes it remembers the last way I had sorted the search node (which is usually by date).

However, always and without fail, when I return to the library node, the library sorting will be reset to by artist, then album. This is the change I see from MediaMonkey 3, and what my suggestion aimed to change.

I have done some experimenting with this and I have realized that this is most likely unintentional, as it only seems to happen when I am in the "Show Details" view in the library node (the view in the search node seems to have no effect). I tried recreating this with the "Show Art with Details" view selected, for example, and it retains my by date sorting in non-search nodes no matter how many searches I performed, and was more consistent about keeping my search node sort by active as well.

This probably should be moved to the bug report forum, but I will leave that up to a moderator to determine. Sorry for the confusion, but the consistent manner in which this operates led me to believe it was an intentional change from MediaMonkey 3 to 4.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:54 pm

dedelandia

Post by dedelandia » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:09 pm

KrotoSmith wrote:Lowlander:

Since I have switched over to MediaMonkey 4, the program remembers sort order in all nodes until I perform a search, at which point it is reset to "nothing" (no arrows in any of the sort columns and using the default Artist, then Album). Is this not normal?

When I used MediaMonkey 3 it used the same sort order that I had enabled in my other nodes and never reset my selections in other nodes (equating to the same sort order no matter what I was doing in MediaMonkey). Was this not normal of MediaMonkey 3?

Same problem here, everything goes slow in mm4 (search, scanning, display ENTIRE LIBRARY takes like 15 seconds, in mm3 it was almost inmediate.
But mos of all, after launching application, some albums are sorted weirdly, I have to manually sort bu Album artist to have the whole collection in order. Same after any change in view (from ENTIRE LIBRARY to MUSIC, etc)

It seems that this it's been reported and fixed in build 1463, but it doesn't seem available yet.

I think I'll try to go back to MM as I used it for a long time with no problem at all..

cheers

dd

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:09 pm

This has not been fixed in 4.0.3.1463, and 4.0.3.1463 is available in the Beta forum.

anglophile77

Post by anglophile77 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Has this been reported as a bug? I'm experiencing the same issue and it's quite frustrating.

I upgraded to MM4, but the search takes significantly longer and the sort column is not saved after a search is performed.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:07 pm

anglophile77 wrote:Has this been reported as a bug?

anglophile77

Post by anglophile77 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Sigh. Apologies. I saw that, but didn't realize it was a bug report. Thank you for an undeserved and kind response.

froster

Post by froster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:14 am

I have the same problem of the Sort Order not sticking, but can you confirm that yours is indeed re-sorting according to another category completely (Album, Artist etc.) and not just by ascending Date Added? I thought mine was also re-sorting by Album Artist or Artist until I scrolled to the very bottom of my library and realized that my preferred sort order hadn't been changed per se, but merely reversed (from descending Date Added to ascending Date Added).

Also, I'm wondering if the following also happens for you guys:

1. Search something, delete the search string character by character, and the sort order is retained.
2. Search something, select the entire string (i.e. Ctrl+A in the search box), deleting the string, and the problem manifests (similar to navigating to another node, then back to the main library).

I'm surprised that this problem affects only a handful of people (which I presume from the lack of discussion on the matter).

dede

Post by dede » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 am

froster wrote:I have the same problem of the Sort Order not sticking, but can you confirm that yours is indeed re-sorting according to another category completely (Album, Artist etc.) and not just by ascending Date Added? I thought mine was also re-sorting by Album Artist or Artist until I scrolled to the very bottom of my library and realized that my preferred sort order hadn't been changed per se, but merely reversed (from descending Date Added to ascending Date Added).

Also, I'm wondering if the following also happens for you guys:

1. Search something, delete the search string character by character, and the sort order is retained.
2. Search something, select the entire string (i.e. Ctrl+A in the search box), deleting the string, and the problem manifests (similar to navigating to another node, then back to the main library).

I'm surprised that this problem affects only a handful of people (which I presume from the lack of discussion on the matter).
HI, here if I perform a search, then no matter how I go back to the previous view (entire library) ie: erasing the whole string at once, or deleting letter by letter, or even clicking on the ENTIRE LIBRARY node on the tree, the sort order is lost, and I noticed that it's allways the same albums that are cursed with a wrong order, nevermind how I try to "correct" the Artist Album section that seems to be "wrong" (re-typing, copying, etc)

jk85212

Post by jk85212 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm glad the actual bug was fixed. But...

Is there really no way to autosort search results? The way I select music from a particular artist is to search on the artist name. I have 95.5 GB of (legitimately purchased!) music on my machine, 17709 files, hundreds of artists, and so browsing the tree for an artist is not a practical proposition. If there were a universal way to sort by file path (etc.), that would work for me.

I don't remember encountering this in MM3. I think it always sorted the same, which is fine with me, because 99% of the time I just want it to be in the order Artist > Album > Track # (which is accomplished by path).

It seems like search results sort based on when a track was added to the library, which is possibly the least useful possible criteria to sort on.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 pm

You can sort on any column or any combination of columns and it should remember this in the Collection nodes. Only the Search node doesn't seem to remember sort order.

You can also type in the Artist node in the Media Tree to quickly jump to the Artist.