Remove Unused Genres

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

nduke

Remove Unused Genres

Post by nduke »

This has been requested numerous times, but I was hoping it could be added to MM3 (or if it can be done through a script, that would be great too!).

I have a number of unused genres that don't have any tracks assigned to them, so they do not appear in the genre node. They do, however, appear in any genre drop down boxes.

Most of these tend to be misspellings which just makes them that much annoying! They all appear in the 'Genre' table of the database. I've found some of the SQL tools that let me view the list, but not delete entries.

It seems like the Maintain Library tool should also have a 'Remove Unused Genre' along with the unused artists & albums.

Any thoughts of adding this, or does anyone have a script that can do it?
G0lluM

Post by G0lluM »

I would heartily suggest the Tagging Inconsistencies script. It won't actually delete the genre's but it will list the offenders and you can then delete them manually without TOO much trouble, although I guess that depends on your situation.
nduke

Post by nduke »

G0lluM wrote:I would heartily suggest the Tagging Inconsistencies script. It won't actually delete the genre's but it will list the offenders and you can then delete them manually without TOO much trouble, although I guess that depends on your situation.
Actually I'm a big fan of Tagging Inconsistencies, but that script will only help with genres that actually have tracks assigned to them (unless I've missed a feature!).

I'm looking to delete orphan genres that only appear in the database or through various dropdown menus, but not on the genre node or on any tracks.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

nduke wrote:[...I'm looking to delete orphan genres that only appear in the database or through various dropdown menus,
Hello nduke, dunno if this will help with your unwanted genres but to get rid of stuff on a drop down list I use Shift+Delete (or is it Ctrl+Delete) anyway try both it might help you :P
nduke

Post by nduke »

MusicBringer wrote:Hello nduke, dunno if this will help with your unwanted genres but to get rid of stuff on a drop down list I use Shift+Delete (or is it Ctrl+Delete) anyway try both it might help you :P
I got excited when I saw this tip, but unfortunately the main place I see these orphan genres isn't a drop down list after all, it's a combo box so this doesn't work in this particular situation.

To see what I mean create an autoplaylist and go to the advanced tab. For the search criteria choose 'Genre contains'. In the list below it lists not only genres in use, but essentially everything that's ever been in the genre field of a track.

I know that not everyone may have tons of stray entries there but I do. I know I could start with a fresh database, but then I'd loose all my autoplaylists and that's just too much hassle. (the orphan genre thing isn't THAT irritating to me!)
kingoomieiii

Post by kingoomieiii »

Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong, but I think using Compress Database (or whatever it's called, I'm at school) will remove unused things like this.
nduke

Post by nduke »

kingoomieiii wrote:Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong, but I think using Compress Database (or whatever it's called, I'm at school) will remove unused things like this.
It has the option to remove unused artists and unused albums, but not genres.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

nduke wrote:...
To see what I mean create an autoplaylist and go to the advanced tab. For the search criteria choose 'Genre contains'. In the list below it lists not only genres in use, but essentially everything that's ever been in the genre field of a track.

I know that not everyone may have tons of stray entries there but I do. I know I could start with a fresh database, but then I'd loose all my autoplaylists and that's just too much hassle. (the orphan genre thing isn't THAT irritating to me!)
Hey now you come to mention it, I found that irritating too. I fully understand what you mean! I think it's time to try the script that Bex suggested. Let us know how you get on...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MusicBringer wrote:
nduke wrote:...

Hey now you come to mention it, I found that irritating too. I fully understand what you mean! I think it's time to try the script that Bex suggested. Let us know how you get on...
I tried it - I had 137 unused Genres in there! I had no idea... but now they're gone :D
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Have you tried it on the unused classifications, AWESOME!!!! :D

Nyn
Last edited by nynaevelan on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

It worked! Great! Thanks for the tip.

Dennis
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

nohitter151 wrote:I tried it - I had 137 unused Genres in there! I had no idea... but now they're gone :D
You did better than me. I only scored 23. As you say " I had no idea" 8)
nduke

Post by nduke »

Bex-- I am eternally grateful!! This is exactly what I needed!

I'm also happy to see that I'm not the only one annoyed by things like this. MM definitely attracts those of us who are hopelessly and compusively an@l-retentive about our music and tags!

For the record, I had 49 unused genres, so it looks like I didn't win either!
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

nduke wrote:MM definitely attracts those of us who are hopelessly and compusively an@l-retentive about our music and tags!
:P :lol: :P