rate albums and artists

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

rate albums and artists

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:15 pm

HI, great work with media monkey; I suggest it often to any interested itunes user.

Just a quick suggestion:

I have a pretty big music library that can be a little difficult to manage, and i'd like to try to start rating it all. The single 5-star system in MM leaves a little bit to be desired; it's difficult to pick one of the 9 star options (0-5 w/ halves) and keep a sensible UNIFORM scale of your tastes. Since rated songs will have a sorting preference over unrated, the system is also kind of all-or-nothing; some of my favorite tracks would get skipped for having no rating just because i hadn't gotten to rating it yet.

It would make much more sense to provide ratings for the album and artist as a whole; this is surely how we think of our music currently. I know i dont usually try to decide if like Outkast - So Fresh and so Clean better than Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees... but i know that i like Radiohead better than outkast, and i know that i like Radiohead's The Bends album better than pablo honey.

With these two ratings, much could be inferred about the collection. We could assume that a 5 star album rating would generally mean that the tracks on it are in the 4-5 star range. Artists would also imply the same things about artists and individual songs.

A simple weighted average could propagate the results of album/artist ratings into song ratings which could be overridden with manually set song ratings.

Inferred = (AlbumWeight*getAlbumRating() + ArtistWeight*getArtistRating())/(ArtistWeight + AlbumWeight);

Album and Artist weights could be set manually (2 / 1 respectively?), or be a function of the rating itself. You would assume that any a 5 star album means 5 star songs, and a 0 star would mean 0 star songs, but an ambivalent 3 star rating doesn't say much. Maybe a simple wight by deviation from the median?--something like:

ArtistWeight = (ArtistRating-2.5)^2/2;
AlbumWeight = (AlbumRating-2.5)^2/2;

This would provide a much more fluid means of wrangling with library ratings for the cost of a couple DB and UI columns, and some simple math. Some UI tweaks in the future would put the finishing touches on a great feature. Yahoo's Launch.com is a custom internet radio, which is essentially like auto-dj backed by this rating system (as well as genre ratings, other users tastes, etc), and have implemented the interface well.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:32 pm

This has nothing to do with Album or Artist ratings, but these scripts may be useful to you in rating your collection:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... uto+rating

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... uto+rating

(Don't use both at the same time, read over the threads and determine which would be more suitable to you if you choose to use one)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Peke

Post by Peke » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Some hints how I do it: Stars are used as overall rating which then I Classify under Tempo (te determine Class), Mood (where to play it) And Quality (My personal opinion about song). Also I have bunch of Auto-Playlists that do sorting for me.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

edsel99

Album and Artist Ratings would be nice.

Post by edsel99 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:04 pm

I agree about the album and artist ratings. There are some cases where the sum of the songs is much greater than the individual tracks. Pink Floyd the Wall comes to mind. Each song is only a 3 or 4 at most in my opinion. But I consider the album on of my favorites of all time. This kind of feature would really be nice.