IRC chat

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Your opinion

You may select 1 option

View results

Blake

IRC chat

Post by Blake »

I would love to have the ability to chat with other people online.

Seriously, how awesome would it be?

This would make helping people, answering peoples questions so much easier and quicker.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

good ID but i'd proablly just end up idling in it...
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

There is no 'indifferent' option. Chat's are great, but then again can be alot of spam and other non-sense, not to mention a lot of idle people using up bandwidth.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

I'd guess you could find a public server that would be willing to host a channel somewhere...
Blake

Post by Blake »

There are some public servers...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I like the forum better as this helps others when searching for answers. It is more tedious and slower, but easier in the end.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

I'm not so fond of this idea. Theoretical it would be good, but practical...
There would be a lot of spam, repeated questions (and frustration), no reading of Faq-Wiki-Forum anymore because that's "become too difficult", less freedom to answer when you want, ... .

I have thought of an AI help responder that can answer your questions automatically (as long as they're simple enough, and that answers are available) --> this is available for free on the web, but the AI has to be tought first, and that's quite a lot of work. But then again, would people find it? If they want, they can simply search the faq too...
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And IRC would probably be something more experienced PC users use, which are often people that need less support as they have a better understanding of how software works.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Well there are also Java-IRC-clients which can be implemented in a homepage and aren't complicated.

But IMHO the forum is better because the answers can be used multiple times. Anyway for some situaiton a chat may be useful...
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

I would think an IRC channel would be more useful for the scripting / skinning community rather than the general community.

General FAQ's and so on should always stay on the forum, but rather people may be collaborating on a script or a skin, real time communication is much easier... of course people would probally just use an IM program.
Also a chat room >could< promote a better sence of community :P

Not too fussed myself, just thought i'd throw in some arguments :)
meatlump

Post by meatlump »

Maybe I misinterpreted the question.

I would be in favor of a standard way for MM folks to chat with each other, but against including such within the software. I loathe bloated software and think that programs should stick to their core to maintain speed and minimize bugs.
meatlump

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Hrm... I know that I at least wouldn't want it within MediaMonkey itself... but maybe I misinterpreted it that way as well....
Blake

Post by Blake »

Yeh, I actually meant on the website
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I've setup a new chat section on my website...

http://trixmoto.net/chat/index.php

If it becomes popular then I might write a script to embed it into MM. :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

hrm....

I prefer IRC myself coz I don't have to put up with crappy java interfaces (unless you want to) :P
But I'll idle there and see if anyone turns up ^.^

edit:
System[3:11:23][Private]: This Chat Room is moderated and you do not have a voice. You message was not sent.
Ok then....