Sorting Artist View in Library

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Jay Mow

Sorting Artist View in Library

Post by Jay Mow »

Hi There

Recently I have switched again back to Media Monkey and have a nagging problem I cant fix that ive been looking everywhere for the answer and was hoping for some help.

I have a big 130gig library that ive been collecting for over 30 years and have it neatly organized on my phone with double twist and was hopping on replicating it on MM.

At the moment i have all artist (including various artists) showing in artist view. I also have single artist showing up as many times as they have albums (some times up to 10 times or more)

What im aiming for and how i have my library organized before is having all artists that show up in compilations albums to be under various and all other artist only showing up once

An example what id like to see is below

Image https://ibb.co/MR8DBYx

and this is what mm looks like

https://ibb.co/5LnXZqg

Help would be greatly appreciated !!!! :D
Lowlander

Re: Sorting Artist View in Library

Post by Lowlander »

You can use the Grid View instead and it will only show the Artists, which then can be expanded to show Albums, which then can be expanded to show files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ging_Views
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Jay Mow wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:10 pm What im aiming for and how i have my library organized before is having all artists that show up in compilations albums to be under various and all other artist only showing up once

Hi Jay,
Try using the AlbumArtist sub-node instead of the Artist sub-node. For some reason that I don't understand, this is hidden by default in MM5
  • right-click on your node; Music in your illustration
  • take option Edit Collection
  • and check the AlbumArtist node, and maybe move it up the hierarchy if it is important to you
Next change your display to show the AlbumArtist column instead of the Artist column
  • right click the heading row, and take option Choose Columns
That should fix the display that you illustrated. Here I have filtered the display to only show the Artist Bon Iver. His abums are together, and tracks on compilation albums are sorted down into the "Various" categories.

Also try changing to the AlbumArtist sub-node, and go to Grid View, if you look at this clip you will see that:
  • the Artist appears to have at least nine albums ... ie the image cell in the Grid for Bon Iver has nine album cover images stitched together
  • when I click in the image cell, you see that I have just three Bon Iver albums ... the other "albums" are compilation albums
  • same thing when I go into the Artist detail for Bon Iver (by clicking his name instead of the image cell
If I did this from the Artist sub-node, I would also see the compilation albums where he has tracks.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Jay Mow

Post by Jay Mow »

Barry4679 you are life saver!! thank you so much , im almost there!

I now have album artist in grid view and it`s 110% better !

The only step I couldn`t get to was : "Next change your display to show the AlbumArtist column instead of the Artist column
right click the heading row, and take option Choose Columns" If could please elaborate a little more on this step, I couldn`t find anything anywhere where I right clicked and got "choose columns"

In conclusion it`s already almost there , all I would like to change looking forward is all the the artists that are grouped into compilations or various albums away from "album artist" and into "various artists" or similar as I have many albums with various artists, looking through my "album artist" list its X7 in size as all my various / compilations are showing as "album artist"

Thank you in advance and you help so far ! :D

Ive included a screen shot of the improvement but note all the single - song - artists ( in compilations)

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=mm2.jpg

Thanks again!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Jay Mow wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:14 am The only step I couldn`t get to was : "Next change your display to show the AlbumArtist column instead of the Artist column
right click the heading row, and take option Choose Columns" If could please elaborate a little more on this step, I couldn`t find anything anywhere where I right clicked and got "choose columns"
The change column advice did not relate to the Grid view. It related to where you were; in one of the List views.

It is like this: ...nb. in MM5 there are multiple ways to achieve something, that's just the most convenient for what you are trying to do
  • right click the Heading line ... is the 3rd line down in that clip ;;; #1 the Menu bar #2 the Toolbar #3 the Heading line
  • that has opened a Context Menu ... top option is Choose Columns
  • select the AlbumArtist tag and press Add button
  • drag it up to where you want it, and drag the Artist tag away, or Remove it

Jay Mow wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:14 am In conclusion it`s already almost there , all I would like to change looking forward is all the the artists that are grouped into compilations or various albums away from "album artist" and into "various artists" or similar as I have many albums with various artists, looking through my "album artist" list its X7 in size as all my various / compilations are showing as "album artist"
Select all tracks in compilation albums, and change the AlbumArtist tag to something like Various Artists

Try opening Music>FilesToEdit>UnGroupedMultipeArtistAlbums ... maybe that is a quick way to find tracks|albums that need attention .... otherwise you will have to find them yourself.

Select the whole album, or a group of such albums, then Shift+Enter keys to access the File Properties panel, and then change the Album Artists tag to Various Artists, or whatever

You know how to select whole albums, or groups of albums?

[EDIT] the image that you last posted is not public the earlier ones were OK.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.