Scroll to given directory when typing

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

SeigneurAo

Scroll to given directory when typing

Post by SeigneurAo »

Hello.

I switched to MM5, and it has been somewhat smooth, but I'm getting frustrated by a number of things.
One of the main among these, was the ability in MM4 to type something while in the browser on the left, with my whole tree of directories open, and it would promptly bring me to the first item beginning with the letters I typed.
In MM5, it opens a search box on the top, directly after the current path I'm in, and seems to be looking for what I'm typing in the current directory, which is obviously no help at all.
Is there any way I can restore this functionality, any option I can setup ? I have looked through most of these, to no avail thus far.

Thanks in advance for your help !
Barry4679

Re: Scroll to given directory when typing

Post by Barry4679 »

SeigneurAo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:14 am Is there any way I can restore this functionality, any option I can setup ? I have looked through most of these, to no avail thus far.
The short answer is that you can regain this behaviour by turning on "Show All Sub-nodes" option, which you get via the three dots menu at the top of the left hand browser panel (aka the Media tree).

There is a longer answer, which is that MM5 default design has changed so that you don't have to deal with long vertical lists in the left hand panel. Personally I am happy make the shift, but it depends upon how you use MM, and what you are trying to do. ... I have saved you from the "long answer" because you are converting and are frustrated. ...Later maybe :D
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
SeigneurAo

Post by SeigneurAo »

Thanks a LOT for your answer. I'm a bit puzzled as WHY this worked, but it did work, so again, thank you.

I'm interested in understanding more, though, both what this "show all subnodes" does really and how the default design could help with browsing through my library without needing it (aka the long answer). I have fiddled a bit with the option, checking and unchecking it, but I fail to see what it does exactly.

But yes, frustration indeed. Change is always hard, right ?
Thanks for helping me get what I asked for, before trying to explain why I don't need it anymore. It's much appreciated !
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

SeigneurAo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 am Thanks a LOT for your answer. I'm a bit puzzled as WHY this worked, but it did work, so again, thank you.

I'm interested in understanding more, though, both what this "show all subnodes" does really and how the default design could help with browsing through my library without needing it (aka the long answer). I have fiddled a bit with the option, checking and unchecking it, but I fail to see what it does exactly.
SeigneurAo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 am In MM5, it opens a search box on the top, directly after the current path I'm in, and seems to be looking for what I'm typing in the current directory, which is obviously no help at all.
I have just noticed that you probably were in the Folders node. Yes?
That affects my answer somewhat.

A search in Folders mode is not searching your MM database. It is searching your disk drive.

My comments referred to searching the MM database ... ie. when you are in something like the Music Node. ... the database is optimised for a AllText searches.

An AllText search is the Folders node is slow ... just like Windows File Explorer is slow, when you ask it to search for things, without navigating to it yourself using the Folder tree.

I don't think that the default MM5 setting works well in the Folders node yet. .. They did say whether they were going to do something about that, but I have forgotten the details atm.

To answer you question: What the default setting of the option does is save time and resources by omitting population of all the sub-nodes in the database nodes, like Music.
  • ie. nothing in the album, artist, etc sub-nodes in the left hand Media Tree.
  • a consequence of this it that there now no vertical list to scroll into.
  • in MM5 this is compensated for, with gains, not losses IMO
But at the moment this adversely affects the Folders node.

I could go into details about how MM5 helps to avoid long vertical lists in the database nodes, but is late here.
Ask again if you want more.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
SeigneurAo

Post by SeigneurAo »

You're correct, I'm using Folders view 99% of the time, as my music disk's folders structure is very precise and helps me find what I'm looking for real quick, especially music that I haven't tagged/organized/shelved yet.

Shame, guess I'll have to either comply with the new way things are handled, or else delay the switch to MM5. For the time being, the app really behaves poorly indeed : slow response time, folders are randomly getting collapsed, or currently selected folder is changed for no apparent reason at all. This is sad.

We can talk again later if you remember more details, or want to share about how MM could/should be used with this new major version, but in the meantime, have a good night ^^
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which build of MediaMonkey (Help > About) are you on?

Do note that you also have the option to use Music > Location to browse by the folder structure on your PC. However this is much faster than Folders as it uses the database for media information instead of having to read your hard drive for folder structure, files and metadata.
SeigneurAo

Post by SeigneurAo »

Oh I'm sorry for the confusion. I do use the Music>Location option, actually. I wasn't aware there was a "Folders" view at the very bottom of the list.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There have been improvements on this since that release, you may want to try build 2422: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d
SeigneurAo

Post by SeigneurAo »

Ah, I downloaded mine from the "Downloads" section, didn't know there were RCs available, thanks for the tip !